Match Thread: Olympiacos v Villa

This constant slow passing, walking the ball style is dreadful. It does not work when we are chasing a game. We have no other way of playing, it’s my only real criticism of Unai, ever. 

You see other teams go downs they snap to life, move the ball with assurance and aggression, we just soften up and very VERY rarely fight our way back. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

This might just be me coping, but I don't think us finishing 4th and ending the season with an exhausted whimper to highlight how thin we are and emphasise where we need to strengthen is such a bad thing, in the long run.

We haven’t finished 4th yet. I don’t even think our squad is that small though. We’ve had horrendous luck with injuries- think how JJ, Tielemans, Zaniolo, Rogers, Kamara or Buendia could have influenced this semi final.

Posted (edited)

Worst thing is, we've gone out with a whimper. 

Tonight we needed to up the tempo, pepper them with shots and we have done the exact opposite. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26

Anyone who suggests we've been unlucky has the claret and blue tinted glasses glued to their head!

Olympiacos have been COMFORTABLE throughout the tie. They're playing within themselves. It's been easy and their keeper has had practically nothing to do.

We could play them ten times and not win.

Just now, AVTuco said:

Do all those who drop on the first round of CL continue in Europa League?

Not anymore

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Really disappointed in Villa tonight I have to say. A major European semi final and we’ve been totally off it. 

We've been off it for weeks mate.

Well, we've gradually got worse as the games worn on.

Let's be honest, we were extremely lucky to beat Lille, these have done a job on us over the two legs.

Turning points were the conceded pen and missed pen, gave us a mountain to climb.

We will learn from the experience, let's get top 4 !! 

It’s a shame this season will be less successful than the 1996 season, because I really thought we would win a trophy and finish 4th a few weeks ago and finally end our trophy drought. 

It’s been a very meek end to this competition, injuries or no injuries.