Midweek Football 6/9 May

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

You’ve just looked at “Crystal Palace” there, eh? We can run with it though.

The problem with a lot of stats is that they have no context. So Man Utd may face more shots than any other side, but how many of their shots faced are from outside the area because they don’t close down? How many are from an angle rather than central? etc etc.

As a very brief glance, goalkeeping stats use PSxG/SoT (I lol’d a bit) to demonstrate how likely shots which are on target are to lead to goals. Aston Villa are at 0.35 (highest in the division) whereas Man Utd are at 0.27 (2nd lowest in the division). This roughly shows that per shot on target faced, Villa “should” concede more often than Man Utd. It also shows that Man Utd (Onana), whilst facing lots of shots, aren’t actually facing generally more difficult shots. If anything, he’s facing easier shots which he should save more often than not.

The three keepers up there for this are Martinez, Kaminski and Vicario - all have been largely heralded this season. 

When I first mentioned shot save percentage on a previous page I did preface it by saying it was not a complete analysis. 

Anyway, this discussion kicked off with the claim that “Onana is the worst keeper in the league and it’s not even close”.

I’m not making the claim he’s the best in the league, just that he’s actually a pretty good player who is being dragged down by a fairly poor United defence. 

10 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

PSG not offering much. 

They are similar to man city. Lots of slow patient passing that goes nowhere and creates very few chances. 

Posted (edited)

PSG need to start breaking quicker when Dortmund get forward. The Germans are great at sitting in with numbers behind the ball when out of possession and quick on the counter. 

Edited by avfc1982am

26 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Dortmund doing a great job, so well organised so far. PSG not offering much. 

Mbappe will be pleased to lose this I reckon. He really could do without being a villain with the Real fans before he even arrives.

9 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Game over! 

PSG look really poor. Not sure what they're going to do once Mbappe leaves. 

Build a squad... But I doubt it

£80m on ramos and £85m on muani

Maybe even zaire Emery might convince them to keep their youngsters but I doubt that too

12 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Game over! 

PSG look really poor. Not sure what they're going to do once Mbappe leaves. 

They will win the French league, and get to CL quarters/semis. Forever and ever. 

I think if I'm Real I'd stay clear of Mbappe. He seems to be the french Kane. Club European medals seem Kryptonite to him.

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Build a squad... But I doubt it

£80m on ramos and £85m on muani

Maybe even zaire Emery might convince them to keep their youngsters but I doubt that too

Give me Lander Emery every day of the week

Â