Match Thread: Brighton v Villa

limpid

We've got too many players in front of the ball waiting for it to come from too few players behind the ball - the balance is slightly wrong - Bailey, Diaby and Watkins can't contribute when we can't get them the ball - one of them may need to be sacrificed.

• Like 1

We're there for the taking. We have nothing left.

If Brighton want it enough they'll win this 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Poor decision not having Tim in the midfield to help Luiz and McGinn imo. 

Agree with this perfect game for him midfield looks pedestrian like.

We look exhausted - Thursday games and injuries impacting usS Come on lads /  need one more really good performance this season. That’s all. 

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Olsen MOTH, What shows how poor we have been. 

Brighton ain’t much better, and it be a crying shame if we can’t get a win off these.

more energy, more footwork and we got the game 

He certainly hasn’t flapped as much as usual

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

We've got too many players in front of the ball waiting for it to come from too few players behind the ball - the balance is slightly wrong - Bailey, Diaby and Watkins can't contribute when we can't get them the ball - one of them may need to be sacrificed.

Diaby for Tim: again, I don't get the concern about playing him. At worst he's going to do what, cede possession in our half and fail to control the ball? Gosh it'd be awful if our midfield did th....

Oh, wait.

I've seen several replays of the penalty claim now and I think it's one you wouldn't be at all surprised to see given - surprised it was passed over so quickly.

1 minute ago, DeepDish said:

Our key players seems to be very nervous and without confidence. Watkins, McGinn, Torres, Digne and Konza all take too many touches when getting the ball, never play the easy pass which create spaces and room and do almost everything tactically wrong. 

Olsen our best player after that big save. But McGinn and Watkins must step up. Most important 45 minutes of the season now.

I think they're just on a knackered. So may games and so many injuries. The same small set of players have had to turn it in week after week, twice a week. 

They're just physically and mentally exhausted. At the end of their tether the lot of them. We KNOW they're better than this. 

If I can criticise Emery for anything it's not recognising this. We've just got to find a way of easing them in to share the burden.

As I said it's not about the quality or experience of the players, it's about energy levels. 

Our better / experienced players are so shot they're getting steam rollered anyway. 

18 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

You can’t think like that if you want to be competitive. You won’t see Arsenal thinking “let’s think about the games we won” if City go on to win the league. You’ve got to think about when you’ve been poor to improve. 

I thought you were thinking as a fan, not a player.

As a fan, I'm happy for the players to focus on what they need to and then enjoy the unexpected wins more than worry about the few points dropped.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

You don't think he would help us get a result? Our midfield is poor.

No. He is a Championship player at best. I am not even sure he is even that level.

This is the Premier League. 

He is only still here because of our awful injury record. He'll be gone next month.

We just need to try and find the energy to push on for one more half.

Typical end of season game with nothing to play for.

Oh, that's right if Villa win then they may qualify for CL? Has anyone informed the players of that though?

Emery needs to get into them at half time for that performance was as insipid as it comes with no urgency whatsoever against a team who is there for the taking.

Jesus guys you are playing for the right to play against Real Madrid, Barca next season! Raise the tempo ffs or you're going to get caught sleepwalking again.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I've seen several replays of the penalty claim now and I think it's one you wouldn't be at all surprised to see given - surprised it was passed over so quickly.

Levy on VAR duty.