Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nothing is 'the end of the world', it's just football. But I'd like to have won this trophy, because I haven't seen us win a European trophy, and this could easily be the best chance we get in my lifetime. I don't really care if you don't rate the competition.

Absolutely. Today was gut-wrenching. Haven’t been this down about a Villa result in ages. I really wanted to win this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

Absolutely. Today was gut-wrenching. Haven’t been this down about a Villa result in ages. I really wanted to win this. 

Feels very Athletico Madrid, lost 1-0 had the chance to do it but just fell short. 

can see a 2-1 win away but that’s not enough 

It hurts so much more after the Lile match, one of greatest wins I've ever experienced, so deflating. But it truly was a game of marginal gains and fortune did not favour us today sadly. 

We weren’t good tonight and made some ridiculous mistakes, which when paired with the terrible ref, the misplaced passes, awful luck and a great performance from Olympiacos, we were always up against it. So much about that game was frustrating as hell, with too many sub par performances to go into. If we’d not conceded that daft penalty when we did I think we’d have gone on to win it. 

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So silly of our players to get caught up in the shithousery around the Luiz penalty. Without that unnecessary delay, Luiz probably converts that. This is where we lack that experience and game management. 

Still, let's believe. We're supporters after all. Time to get behind this team, not castigate them. Let's be real, with all the adversity, injuries, deflections and decisions not going our way, we have done rather well this season. 

Well said. 

Tonight was a tough evening for players and supporters alike, I know I’m disappointed by the result. But there’s only a few games left in the season and this team, which has already given us some amazing performances this year, is running on fumes. I’m sure we will all debate the moments of the game (this is a discussion forum after all!) but let’s keep perspective - best villa season in recent memory and this tie is not over yet! Let’s get behind them for the final push - supporters support.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Fairly disastrous evening, particularly for Douglas Luiz, but it’s not over yet despite what’s some are saying here.

The time to write of the Conference is if we don’t overturn this result in the 2nd leg and Olympiacos are we know perfectly capable of losing by a 2 goal margin, as much as winning.

Edited by briny_ear

I see that the Greeks have the weekend off... just like the French did... will this result influence Emery's starting line up for the Brighton game? Will he be prioritising turnining over this two goal defecit?

I'm still a bit gobsmacked at that result tbh. Many of the players didn't cover themselves in glory at all but I don't think Unai did either. I honestly think we don't look very good with a 2 in central midfield and needed an extra man tonight. After Youri went off the weekend we folded switching him for Diaby. We folded tonight with just McGinn and Luiz in there. If anything we should be trying to pack the midfield out but we are just too open and far too easy to counter against. For me this is where the problem has been the last couple of games. 

You can't legislate for the mistakes, the stupidity from players at times and certainly not the bad luck but you can at least make it difficult for teams to play through us. Tonight as with Saturday we didn't do that and as much as the players are to blame I also think tactically Unai has to accept some of the blame. We've gone from being difficult to play against to being easier to open up than a can of worms. 

It's not over by a long way regardless of how bad it appears at the moment. Why Lenglet started instead of Carlos, why we started with both Bailey, Diaby and Rodgers instead of bolstering the midfield at try to keep their opportunities to a minimum I just do not know. What I do know is we have a monumental task ahead now to turn this around in Greece. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Olsen is, yes. 

Doesn’t matter what he does for some ,, we could have lost by two more tonight without his saves but whatever he’s shit and nothing can change that.

• Like 1

Devastated by that defeat like everyone else. 

Personally can't see us turning it around in Greece but hope to be proven wrong.

My main concern now is the fan who had the emergency in the Holte End. Really hope they are OK.

Stuff like that makes you realise it really is just a game.

• Like 3

If we get the first goal in Greece, I think they will sh*t themselves.

We are the better team and with Torres-Konsa-Martinez we can beat them. We were very dangerous tonight imo but were on an off-day, not helped by the referee.

Confident we can turn this around.

UTFV

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Never mentioned world class at all. League 1 standard would have done tonight. Time for Gauci

Gauci came from 8th team of 12 for goals conceded A-League when he joined us. A-League isn't even League 1 standard

Diaby - MOTM? Absolutely no way. Took his goal well, every other touch he looked like he was playing in flip flops. 

Gotta be Cashy or Rogers for me. 

• Like 1

Â