• Diaby
    • Watkins
    • Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/04/24 at 22:59

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

This is from The UEFA regulations

The briefing that Emi is suspended for the semis appears to have come from the club but I think they’re just teasing us.

He got booked in both legs of the Lille tie so I would say he probably is out of the first leg regardless of what ever the F went on the shoot out. It is annoying when he does his time wasting because it’s so obvious that more often than not he will get booked and now he is out for a game and actually what does it achieve? Not much given the ref will add the time on anyway. That said what a keeper nobody else I would want in goal for a shoot out

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

Spot on.

Part of me thinks we deliberately took our foot off the gas a bit.

A lot of those stats for us came very very late on though. We did have a shot on or off target until about the 80th minute. 

26 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Feeling amazing today but that ref, needs investigating. Got to be the worst performance I have seen from a ref in years

Was it the same ref from the first leg because he was pretty bad as well booking our players for not much and letting Lille players rugby tackle the likes of Bailey without a card.  

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that means that the cards are removed, but existing suspensions are still in place.

Oh, yes, I can see that might be true because the second sentence of the rule refers to yellow cards not being carried forward but doesn’t mention pending  suspensions, so by implication they are carried forward.

Not very clearly written if that is the case.

13 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Argh, the empath in me can't help but really feel for the kid, he is heartbroken. Such is football though, don't we all just know it? XD

He's a kid, so whatever, but there were some crying adults as well.

A trophy is a trophy and I'll celebrate it if we win, but crying because you've gone out in the quarter finals of a third tier competition? :D 

Weirdly, even at 2 down I always felt we were going to get through. 

Those knocking the tempo, we have 3 games in a week, Lille had a week off, we are down to bare bones.  I think Emery is trying to manage the tempo to do enough to win, nothing more, to try and keep minutes in players legs.  

If we manage to get 3 points against Bournemouth on Sunday, after the week we have had, the bloke is a bloody genius!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Was anyone else cackling at Emi making all those kids cry 

I cackled, I saw all the close ups of those bright faced overly confident french sprogs, as an omen - the director focused on them continually in the last half hour and I was like, why they so confident? This will end badly. So I cackled at their pain but also at my own smugness for seeing it coming. Mega cackle. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I cackled, I saw all the close ups of those bright faced overly confident french sprogs, as an omen - the director focused on them continually in the last half hour and I was like, why they so confident? This will end badly. So I cackled at their pain but also at my own smugness for seeing it coming. Mega cackle. 

Villa fans

spacer.png

Lille fans

spacer.png

• Haha 1

What a match, what a ride. That referee though, surely that's his career over. Just watched the shootout again and the bit where he goes up to Dougie as if to tell him to take it, and Dougie has to remind him he hasn't blown his whistle yet... absolutely farcical.

• Like 2

It's funny watching the shootout back with that commentator in honking outraged prefect mode, constantly misdiagnosing what's actually happened with the yellow, while Lucy Ward's audibly screaming off-mic when Emi makes saves

It's mad that after everything that went on he got a yellow for innocuously asking for a ball when there genuinely wasn't one on the pitch, only for it to mysteriously reappear from the Lille end just as his own teammate was trying to take the pen. You almost pulled it off

Lmao also at the idea that Emi was sailing deadly close to the wind like he probably doesn't know the rules for shootout yellow cards better than any keeper alive, he lives for this shit

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, blunther said:

What a match, what a ride. That referee though, surely that's his career over. Just watched the shootout again and the bit where he goes up to Dougie as if to tell him to take it, and Dougie has to remind him he hasn't blown his whistle yet... absolutely farcical.

The ref walks towards the ball as Doug runs up to take his penalty as well, the shit housery was all from Lille and the ref, Martinez did nothing at all apart from dance. 

48 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Not sure if shared yet, but love Lee's commentary on this one haha:

What a great watch that is. Lee Hendrie is all of us in that moment.

• Like 1

Our first semi final in Europe since 1982. Impossible for me not to be even more excited now.

No matter the outcome we can all be proud. A season to remember forever. Been a pleasure to experience the last few months of it on this forum with all of you. UTFV!

• Like 1

iffy performance, great result. I thought our play looked clumsy at times, and ball control was questionable....but after the weekend feet up for Lille, they seemed to want to compete on energy, to gain advantage. I thought our play was scruffy.

However, great mentality and desire....looked like running on fumes, but compensated with a will to win.

Emi's leadership, really is a filip.

PS I don't quite know how they done that.

PPS...****housery at its ultimate best....after years of being "little Lord Fauntleroys"......we finally have a rebel rouser.....Bravo Emi

Edited by TRO

Â