• Diaby
    • Watkins
    • Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/04/24 at 22:59

1 hour ago, TRO said:

it was Jim....but it still ended 3-3 for all the praise they got, and the time off to help them.

With a depleted squad, and arduous, league games....these boys deserve a lot of credit.

I was frustrated with some of the play....but tempered those thoughts with the circumstances.....it was a determined effort, if not refined.

We are the only man left standing.....I think our league shows how it takes it out of them.....and unlike other national authorities, our lot ( EFL)don't help, our teams

The last few games have shown a bucket load of character, fight and determination.....I was actually proud of them, over these games.

I often talk on here of the basic arts, which some folk think are a given......well, they are not, but our boys showed they have it.

The lads showed great spirit, led by an unbelievable goalkeeper.

PS The Run in, and the final in 1982 showed some nervy moments, too......but the records only show the win....it's all that matters.

It really is strange when two of our most consistent midfielders decide to have, arguably, their worse performance of the season. I didn't realise Luiz was on the pitch in that first - half, that's how anonymous he was. McGinn just couldn't get started. As a result, we got completely outrun in that first  - half, and were deservedly made to pay for it. 

We looked somewhat better after the break, but were still under the cosh at times.

It was only after their second that we found some cohesion and started to look a threat, hence, we forced a mistake as so often happens when you force the issue.

You're right, Cash showed an indomitable will to get that goal and it had the knock - on effect of galvanizing the troops. You create the luck by being brave, no - one wins anything with a defeatist mentality, and that was fairly evident from last - nights proceedings. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Xela said:

who were the commentators on this ?...TNT

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It really is strange when two of our most consistent midfielders decide to have, arguably, their worse performance of the season. I didn't realise Luiz was on the pitch in that first - half, that's how anonymous he was. McGinn just couldn't get started. As a result, we got completely outrun in that first  - half, and were deservedly made to pay for it. 

We looked somewhat better after the break, but were still under the cosh at times.

It was only after their second that we found some cohesion and started to look a threat, hence, we forced a mistake as so often happens when you force the issue.

You're right, Cash showed an indomitable will to get that goal and it had the knock - on effect of galvanizing the troops. You create the luck by being brave, no - one wins anything with a defeatist mentality, and that was fairly evident from last - nights proceedings. 

spot on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's not our "Best ever Manager," certainly not until he's won a trophy or two. Saunders built two wonderful Villa sides with  a promotion, two league cups and a title, also built the team that won the European Cup.So to say Emery has achieved more, is, ridiculous tbf.

I agree.

I think, we have been in the doldrums, for that long, it seems like Unai is the best ever.

but you are right, sheepy, what Ron did on a shoestring budget was unbelievable.....but it is different times now.

For me, I don't want to compare, because too many variables come in to play....both were/are phenomenal.....Graham Taylor and Ron Atkinson, built some good teams and Brian and John, chipped in with some formidable players...and the 6-6-6- from MON wasn't to be sniffed a.

Unai, still has the team WIP and the obstacles i.e FFP, Oil state owned clubs, is difficult to navigate.

That win last night, was a peg in the ground, for the journey, and will only help our exposure, for future signings....The Character of the set up, will surely resonate, with ambitious players, looking for ambitious clubs.

I also think what this guy is building, is solid....The whole football culture of our club, is impressive and encouraging....and if character was a doubt, it was dispelled, last night..... we was out on our legs.

Every football person in our club looks committed, I am not ITK, but it seems like that is the case, everyone, talks each other up, it's like " all for one, one for all"

From an old stalwart of the terraces.....this is a great time to be a Villa a fan.

PS I can feel so many parallels with the past, good times.....we just have to keep going and prove it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I’ve just watched it again. Did the female commentator say after the last penalty save that Martinez had “balls of steel”???

😮

she is sexist😀

Just now, TRO said:

I agree.

I think, we have been in the doldrums, for that long, it seems like Unai is the best ever.

but you are right, sheepy, what Ron did on a shoestring budget was unbelievable.....but it is different times now.

For me, I don't want to compare, because too many variables come in to play....both were/are phenomenal.....Graham Taylor and Ron Atkinson, built some good teams and Brian and John, chipped in with some formidable players...and the 6-6-6- from MON wasn't to be sniffed a.

Unai, still has the team WIP and the obstacles i.e FFP, Oil state owned clubs, is difficult to navigate.

That win last night, was a peg in the ground, for the journey, and will only help our exposure, for future signings....The Character of the set up, will surely resonate, with ambitious players, looking for ambitious clubs.

I also think what this guy is building, is solid....The whole football culture of our club, is impressive and encouraging....and if character was a doubt, it was dispelled, last night..... we was out on our legs.

Every football person in our club looks committed, I am not ITK, but it seems like that is the case, everyone, talks each other up, it's like " all for one, one for all"

From an old stalwart of the terraces.....this is a great time to be a Villa a fan.

PS I can feel so many parallels with the past, good times.....we just have to keep going and prove it.

I love Emery, but there are plenty of Villa managers who have brought untold joy to our supporters, let's give them the respect their reputations warrant. That goes for every successful manager from 1874.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

we will be running round the Bull Ring with the cup:

pete fincham (@FinchamPete) / X

Let's hope we don't get the damned thing stolen this time.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Lille fan said:

well..... too disgusted by the outcome to say anything more ! football can be so cruel...

good luck with the end of the season in C4 and especially in premier league and hopefull we'll meet again in Champions league next year !

I think you played very well over the 2 legs and probably deserved better.....but football or any other sport, digs deeper than just talent, as these games, bore witness too.

We can both call on reasons why our teams, did not perform as well as they can.....and we can both call on elements of luck, that remain a feature of football games.

We as Villa supporters can bear witness on many occasions of unfair referees or over zealous opponents who render our players lightweight....and we have to ride with it, and improve. Last night, we stayed with it, when we wasn't at our best....that was the most redeeming factor for me.

You may not approve of Emi Martinez, for numerous reasons, but what he does, is passive, and more psychological....football is also played in the head, and he knows that, more than most......your players, should have scored, and you would have gone through. They should have rose above Emi's foolery, because that's all it was. It wasn't intimidating or threatening, (folk using those words are wrong) it might be off putting, but that's not illegal......we have to find context here.

This was a tight fought game, and both teams can claim mitigation of sorts.....but in the cold light of day, i hope mutual respect prevails, between our clubs and supporters.....I for one rate Lille, as a very good side, and your manager too.

As a result of these games, I am enlightened, but what a good side, Lille is, and how competitive they are......I hope the feeling is mutual.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, tinker said:

They was taken out of his hands and went to var. Duran never got near their keeper,  it was their own player. 

that's what, I said....whether it was VAR or him the outcome was the same.....He waved away the protests from the Lille players.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

that's what, I said....whether it was VAR or him the outcome was the same.....He waved away the protests from the Lille players.

While saying VAR are checking this. On both those occasions he was told by VAR what to give/not give.

There was 10 minutes in the first half when he was carding everything that moved. I think the grass at Lille may be banned for their next game. Both coaches. Duran got carded because Santos didn't want to jump for a 50/50 (go back and have a look at the utter confusion on Jhon's face when he gets the yellow). Emi got carded for time wasting while the ball was in play. Only one of the yellows on either side was close to being one- the Digne challenge. And that was by most definitions not a yellow. And then there was the farce during the shootout. 

The guy totally lost control of the match. He left himself nowhere to escalate if and when things got spicy, and was completely out of his depth. He also wanted to be the centre of attention. Someone must have had a word at halftime as he kept his cards away for a while, but during that time he compensated by calling a foul for everything. Any touch whatsoever by any player on any other player. The game became basketball. 

The only consolation was that he was equally shit for both teams, but that aside it was absolutely the worst single refereeing performance I've witnessed in 30 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a single shot of the away section during the match broadcast. Not. One. 

How does that even happen?

There was a brief shot of Sawiris, Elmo, Heck and a few others in their group I didn't recognize,  but not a single shot of traveling supporters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

There was a brief shot of Sawiris, Elmo, Heck and a few others in their group I didn't recognize,  but not a single shot of traveling supporters.

It was utterly bizarre after the game. While our players were presumably celebrating in front of our travelling fans, the cameras were concentrated on the Lille players

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yeah that was weird. I'm assuming TNT were given the feed by French broadcasters at the stadium?

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

While saying VAR are checking this. On both those occasions he was told by VAR what to give/not give.

There was 10 minutes in the first half when he was carding everything that moved. I think the grass at Lille may be banned for their next game. Both coaches. Duran got carded because Santos didn't want to jump for a 50/50 (go back and have a look at the utter confusion on Jhon's face when he gets the yellow). Emi got carded for time wasting while the ball was in play. Only one of the yellows on either side was close to being one- the Digne challenge. And that was by most definitions not a yellow. And then there was the farce during the shootout. 

The guy totally lost control of the match. He left himself nowhere to escalate if and when things got spicy, and was completely out of his depth. He also wanted to be the centre of attention. Someone must have had a word at halftime as he kept his cards away for a while, but during that time he compensated by calling a foul for everything. Any touch whatsoever by any player on any other player. The game became basketball. 

The only consolation was that he was equally shit for both teams, but that aside it was absolutely the worst single refereeing performance I've witnessed in 30 years. 

and what part of my comments, do I suggest different....I agree.

but to me....the 2 main incidents of the game, i have seen given against us......while he was referring, it was overlooked, whether it was VAR or him....i have seen incidents like that go against us.

I don't think either was an infringement.....but I am a "hand to ball, man, not ball to hand man, to cause a penalty, but things have changed over the years.....I agree, Duran was not instrumental in bringing chevalier down, but again, i have seen those given against us.

anyway....his grandad was a good entertainer, like our Emi.

maurice chevalier.jpg

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you played very well over the 2 legs and probably deserved better.....but football or any other sport, digs deeper than just talent, as these games, bore witness too.

We can both call on reasons why our teams, did not perform as well as they can.....and we can both call on elements of luck, that remain a feature of football games.

We as Villa supporters can bear witness on many occasions of unfair referees or over zealous opponents who render our players lightweight....and we have to ride with it, and improve. Last night, we stayed with it, when we wasn't at our best....that was the most redeeming factor for me.

You may not approve of Emi Martinez, for numerous reasons, but what he does, is passive, and more psychological....football is also played in the head, and he knows that, more than most......your players, should have scored, and you would have gone through. They should have rose above Emi's foolery, because that's all it was. It wasn't intimidating or threatening, (folk using those words are wrong) it might be off putting, but that's not illegal......we have to find context here.

This was a tight fought game, and both teams can claim mitigation of sorts.....but in the cold light of day, i hope mutual respect prevails, between our clubs and supporters.....I for one rate Lille, as a very good side, and your manager too.

As a result of these games, I am enlightened, but what a good side, Lille is, and how competitive they are......I hope the feeling is mutual.

Yeah, Lille are a really well organised team. I was mega impressed by their press, which they did without exposing themselves defensively. We had no outball for 80% of the game. Controlled possession really well, distributed well. I don't actually know how we got through the tie tbf. No obvious weaknesses. We'll never know how much the previous game took out of us in terms of mobility, but mentally we looked fried. I still don't know why our passing was so wayward. It's totally not like us. That said, they pressured us throughout, and our defence couldn't pick out any of our midfield without at least 1 Lille player closing down and forcing an error. They are a really good team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah that was weird. I'm assuming TNT were given the feed by French broadcasters at the stadium?

I'd assume so as well. Quite possibly a Lille based production crew, which would explain it.

Any highlights anywhere yet? All I can find are the deceptive ones by **** LOSER words removed doing the game on their cocking computer game. Absolute bellends

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

That'll be the Coca Cola guys 😉

11 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

That'll be the Coca Cola guys 😉

Oh yeah, got a scoop you'd like to elaborate on? 😀

Not a particularly likeable corporation, but from strictly a graphic design standpoint, the Coca-Cola wordmark is class and would look great on a Villa shirt.

34 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Any highlights anywhere yet? All I can find are the deceptive ones by **** LOSER words removed doing the game on their cocking computer game. Absolute bellends

• Thanks 1

Â