• Watkins
    • Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

19 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

On a sort of related note Ollies pen was probably the best of the night. I know he slipped but dunno why he doesn't just take then for us.

He did great under pressure, but on past experience he isn't as cool as Doug from spot.

18 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

That infuriated me too. The ref had a shocker tonight. 

Worst ref I’ve ever seen, makes the PL refs look like Pierluigi Collina. Can’t imagine he’ll get another Euro game

Just now, duke313 said:

Worst ref I’ve ever seen, makes the PL refs look like Pierluigi Collina. Can’t imagine he’ll get another Euro game

Probably do our next game knowing UEFA.

48 minutes ago, a-k said:

One thing I will say about the ref though, is that he was spot on and bold with all the big decisions. For example, telling all the Lille players to do one as their GK rightly crashed into his own teammate.

He was told about that one by VAR. He was holding his ear afterward.

Don't make excuses, that performance by the ref was epicly bad.

35 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Big Emi - amazing. Matty & Leon - superb. And shout out to Ollie nailing that pen with the pressure of waiting and his dodgy history. That was truly excellent. 

Straightforward semi please. I can't take that again. 

PS - proof I think that this is not a 3rd rate trophy. It really means something. 

We've  all got a straightforward semi right now

• Haha 2

This is what it’s all about. Poor performance but who cares in the end? We’ll have many nights like this in coming years.

Emery is king in Europe, voodoo magician.

Martinez is a cheat code in pens.

I was screaming for him to take Cash off before he scored. Good penalty as well, sorry Cashy!

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

If you thought that involved gamesmanship aka cheating, tune in to the match to decide which team Villa play next: Fenerbache v Olympiakos.

Pray we can win 3-4 at home cause the shithousing that we'll experience away will be unbearable 

Yup, referee was shocking...that's a few we've had in this competition give some soft fouls against us.

Martinez is just THE most influential player at Villa, absolutely next-level.

Bailey made an impact when he got on but looked to be carrying a knock; Villa need him for the run-in.

Many of the players off it tonight yet we still won; this is a great trait to have for sure.

Extra-time and penalties is so character building for the team and in preparation for our next games and the Semi-final.

Up the VILLA

• Like 1

All our midfielders blanked tonight (McGinn was shocking), referee as usual in European competitions was atrocious, but who cares? We're in the semi-finals of a European competition having beat probably the 2nd strongest team in this competition. UTV

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mods can we get a new rating for the ref? I don’t think “very poor” does the job

I’m actively trying to find out his name and what country he comes from?

That would be a good start for defining a new rating..

Like… “Dog shit <insert nationality here> t**t”

5 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

All our midfielders blanked tonight (McGinn was shocking), referee as usual in European competitions was atrocious, but who cares? We're in the semi-finals of a European competition having beat probably the 2nd strongest team in this competition. UTV

A bit shocked how poor John was today… but he’ll be back and put in some monster performances before the season is over…

We just couldn’t get any control in midfield, I’d much rather McGinn partner one of Luiz or Tielemans (that partnership is too lightweight and lacking in defensive strength or even grit imo) than stick him on the wing… especially with the injuries we have. He’s more effective in that central, even defensive, position imo… the best alternative/option we have with Bouba out…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

Â