• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep I thought we’d get smashed too. This is football and why we can’t expect to just turn up next week either. So much can still happen. 

But what a great position to be in.

I think Unia condensed it all in to one narrative.....Consistency.

Aston Villa on their day, can beat anyone....the task Unai has is consistency....and he knows better than anyone, that is his pursuit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Cheers mate. Just been relaxing at home since the visit. 

Best thing. Although I'm not sure any of us were relaxed yesterday afternoon! UTV

• Like 1

Absolutely phenomenal performance.

Just on the media going with the headlines of this being a shock. 

We're 8 points behind Arsenal, is Forest beating Palace a shock or Newcastle beating Tottenham a shock? 

We also beat them the last time we played them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Best thing. Although I'm not sure any of us were relaxed yesterday afternoon! UTV

Certainly not! Got some very dirty looks off the Mrs every time there was a shot on goal LOL. UTV mate have a fantastic day

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Emi said he loves Arsenal, he has friends there.....But Emi loves everybody and everything....that's Emi.

No doubt that will be a headline somewhere.

Yeah Emi gets more.of a pass because he actually spent a decade there.

As well as the fact that we know, when it comes to competetion he has ZERO allegiance to any one but HIS team when on the pitch.

The attempt at getting a headline out of Ollie or even potentially stoking fires for transfer speculation was sickening in my view.

How often do you see them asking Grealish about being a " Villa fan " as an example? 🤔🤦🏾‍♂️

Disrespect imo, unless I'm reading too much into it and it's just a misjudgement.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's when it doesn't work that those shouts feel justified. Today it worked a treat, but it can go pear - shaped. Nothing wrong with a long ball here and there, it's not like we're averse to that.

And the (very complimentary) MOTD pundits made the point that sometimes we DO go long. We mix it up. I think even Ollie mentioned that the varying tactics is part of Unai's philosophy. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The culture of playing out from the back that he has instilled continues to amaze me.

We have never ever played like that as consistently as we do now.

We've had spells, but as soon as we're under the cosh it goes out the window.

Yesterday we just point blank refused to stray away from that tactic of playing out from the back. Under huge pressure at times, we stuck to it rigidly and it paid off massively.
Players like Pau, Tielemans and Martinez are key to that.

there was a tight game at VP earlier this season , where we had something like 6 mins of Fergie time to see out and I don't think we let the other team touch the ball during the whole period.

I was impressed in the 96th min yesterday where Bailey broke free and probably could have played in Watkins , but why take the risk of turning the ball over and give them a sniff  , he just sorta slow walked the ball into the corner and ate up another 40 seconds or so , the players are well drilled  and constantly learning.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm not a fan of Carlos...

... but in a sea of outstanding Villa performances, he's my MOTM. Thought he was excellent today.

I think he’s got his match fitness back and pace I didn’t know he had.

One other point I wish to make is that Luiz is absolutely revered on here but Villa didn’t miss him yesterday. Villa had more physicality and pace in the middle through his absence.

Edited by striker

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

there was a tight game at VP earlier this season , where we had something like 6 mins of Fergie time to see out and I don't think we let the other team touch the ball during the whole period 

I was impressed in the 96th min yesterday where Bailey broke free and probably could have played in Watkins , but why take the risk of turning the ball over and give them a sniff  , he just sorta slow walked the ball into the corner and ate up another 40 seconds or so , the players are well drilled  and constantly learning 

Yep, and he didn't just hold the ball in the corner where he would have eventually given away a throw or a goalkick (probably), he actually cut back and played it back to Konsa to keep the ball moving and keep possession

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fine margins, literally.

A couple less clangers from individuals during the season in games we should have won, and we would legitimately be in the title race right now.

Every team makes mistakes tbf. The injuries were the biggest factor in that IMO. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Thanks mate, had an awful time with my mental health recently, won't get into it too much here, but I ended up in hospital last week. To be honest I was close to tears after the game, the bond a man can have with his football team is unexplainable sometimes. I am proud to be a Villa supporter and it is a genuine honour that I get to support this club for the rest of my life.

Hang on in there mate, the best times are yet to come 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah this is the thing that has impressed me so much this season. Last season it was the tactics and coaching, but this it’s been remarkable the way he’s handled injuries and suspensions. We have a proper injury crisis, competing on two fronts, and the dent in our form has been relatively small.

And had it not been for our little blip.

And don't forget we should have had 6 points frorm man utd we'd be challenging for the title

Â