2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

I keep replaying the Bailey goal because you get a good (if brief) view of the explosion of rapturous Villa fans in that corner. Has any group of away supporters shown that much passion in a goal celebration? I don't think so!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I keep replaying the Bailey goal because you get a good (if brief) view of the explosion of rapturous Villa fans in that corner. Has any group of away supporters shown that much passion in a goal celebration? I don't think so!

I reckon if he hadn't scored it would have been a penalty for the tackle on Torres, bet VAR was happy they didn't have to call that one. 

I've been smiling all day about this. The Newcastle 3-0 win felt like a statement of intent. The City 1-0 felt like the arrival of something very special. This feels a confirmation that it's here to stay.

• Like 3

I reckon it'd have been checked but cleared if not given on the pitch

Interesting seeing a lot of Arsenal fans saying Emery hates them because he threw the game against City and then tried hard to beat Arsenal again - Watkins and Martinez were unavailable against City and two of the three midfielders that were rotated in also started against Arsenal. Think the difference was probably Foden casually slapping in three worldies and Arsenal methodically aiming all of their shots at Emi or the side netting yesterday, but what do I know

Spurs forum by comparison seemed to have about as many posts saying "BAILEY 1-0 GET IN UP THE **** VILLA" as we did

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I've been smiling all day about this. The Newcastle 3-0 win felt like a statement of intent. The City 1-0 felt like the arrival of something very special. This feels a confirmation that it's here to stay.

I think that I am behind the times, or am missing something obvious, but I thought Newcastle beat us Home and Away?

1 minute ago, VillaBrum said:

I think that I am behind the times, or am missing something obvious, but I thought Newcastle beat us Home and Away?

last season's home win

3 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

last season's home win

Thanks for that. I'm still missing something obviouus - what has last season's result got to do with our performance this season? I don't need an answer - the topic is irrelevant to this forum.

10 minutes ago, VillaBrum said:

Yeah I meant the home win against Newcastle about a year ago. I remember that game felt like the first time we were going toe to toe with a team in the top six as actual rivals, not looking to pull off an outright upset. And we smashed it. I think it was the most exciting time to be a Villan in about a dozen years. Obviously it's only got better since then!

I'm just comparing this result to previous exceptional moments in Emery's time here. Those two are the ones that stand out to me.

Edited by jayEm
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Yeah I meant the home win against Newcastle about a year ago. I remember that game felt like the first time we were going toe to toe with a team in the top six as actual rivals, not looking to pull off an outright upset. And we smashed it. I think it was the most exciting time to be a Villan in about a dozen years. Obviously it's only got better since then!

I'm just comparing this result to previous exceptional moments in Emery's time here. Those two are the ones that stand out to me.

Thanks. Understand now! lol  My feelings exactly. UTV 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

9/1 for Villa to win was an insult . Wish I’d put a few quid on it

It is not an insult! It is a result of people not taking advantage of the odds.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I saw things in that game, I didn't think we had in us, with that line -up, especially.

I love being in that club....when Villa show me, they do have it in them.....I now know what Unai was saying about consistency, He mentioned it several times after the match.

I don't think Dougie being missing, was an issue.....I think all players being at it, on the same day, was a huge reason, and that was on the back of Unai's gameplan and demands to be brave, and not worry about errors.

One thing that I noticed yesterday was that there were a couple of occassions when players made an error that put someone else under pressure - yet not once did that player berate his team-mate for losing possession or making a poor pass.  The error was acknowledged, apologised for and then the team moved on.  It's something that I think has been there most of the time (and is in direct contrast to what was happening under SG).  I don't think I've seen a team as united/together for a long time.  I mean I guess it is easy when things are going pretty well but it really does feel like most of the time we're playing as a team rather than 11 individuals.

Mistakes happen.  Sometimes we will concede as a result.  But the way we play requires the opposition to press us in the hope of forcing a mistake and more often that not that allows us to spring an attack.  It really feels like the team have really bought into that (even if not all the fans have yet) and so they are less worried about making a mistake and more focussed on trying to do something that will make the space eventually open up.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

It is not an insult! It is a result of people not taking advantage of the odds.

I know mate , I’m just saying 9/1 was a ridiculous price 

Good evening!! 😆

I dont even know where to start but just know i gotta pay for a new coffee table because of a certain team causing me to implode and cause pure carnage at home i went absolutely mental 😆🙌🏽… watching the AVFC highlights gave me goosebumps and i wish i was there in that away end to celebrate with the boys because that was as ecstatic as it gets.

But boy oh boy i tore my roof off when leon ‘ bludclart’ Bailey struck gold 😍 wishing i could share that moment with all of you on this forum it was such a relief honestly. Ollie Watkins 😮‍💨

Wow just WOW 🤩 cannot believe we went to the emirates and came out victorious, ill be honest i had little to no hope but glad i was wrong… my life might be upside down atm but this team just gave me a new zest of life absolutely buzzing, lets keep ourselves focused and keep the momentum going as its not over yet

A special mention to Zaniolo who imo has been way under par this season , today he played extremely  well bar a couple of mispasses, but you could see how much effort he put in today.

Emerys celebrations was magical for all obvious reasons.

• Like 3

Watkins if he is not already is in the conversation for hall of fame of players at this club, he is an all round assassin for us and the last 18 months he has been deadly, ive heard people criticise and say not clinical enough, b**locks he is operating at a really high level and should be given more respect by everyone that doesn’t already do so.

Edited by RicRic

Man City was the best performance I've ever seen from a Villa side. But for some reason I enjoyed this more, and still now over 24 hours later I can't stop thinking about it. I've replayed the highlights nearly 10 times. I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe its because I'm in London and have loads of Gooner friends and I see the way they disrespect Unai. Or maybe its because I just did not expect us to get anything from the game at all, considering how we have been playing recently. But when Bailey scored I yelled like I haven't yelled in years. Pure, unrestrained delight just came out of me. 

My overwhelming feeling is one of pride, that the boys did that on the big stage, in front of all the cameras and pundits. The performance we all know they are capable of, and the world just saw it in HD. Special, special day.  

• Like 2

Here in Australia, Villa were paying $10.50 for the win, $6 for a draw. I don’t bet but I mentioned to some friends that it was high odds that didn’t really give us respect. 

Woke at 345am Monday to check the score and lay there punching the air in silent delight. Just incredible 

Edited by Macca49
Spelling error

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep I thought we’d get smashed too. This is football and why we can’t expect to just turn up next week either. So much can still happen. 

But what a great position to be in.

I knew we would win, but I was hoping for 4

😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

Â