2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/04/24 at 22:59

1 hour ago, 479Villan said:

I said earlier this weekend Villa needed to learn to run at their own pace and not worry about those behind them.

I also said I thought this lineup was designed to "first to 6 goals wins."

Everyone, that was a team in the second half that ran its own race and did not care one whit about anyone or anything else. And a clean sheet with that lineup?

There is a reason I am a lawyer, and Unai Emery is a football manager.

We have a maximum of 15 points from the top 3 teams, and we have secured 9. That is outstanding stuff, with or without a European campaign (for the first time in well over a decade) as well.

You can talk about Ange all day. You can give him whatever shampoo bottle looking trophy for manager of the year. I don't care, it does not matter.

Unai Emery has shown the league he has the skill to pants the top 2 clubs, at home, and also away, making do with his teams with their injury situations. That second half performance was handcuffs. Arteta didn't get beat, he got taught.

If I were Lille, I'd be very concerned this same XI are coming to my town in a few days, because they appear to not care about hostile crowds, or possession tactics. But they do know how to run.

The guy is a chancer.. they’ll soon get bored of him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

He didn't hang the moon, he seems fine so far though. Nothing amazing. He's racing to keep up with Unai who has a less valuable squad (whatever that means) and has European football. But he's at a London club, so the media can suck him off. Great, have fun, go nuts Sky.

Let's see what he does with their last month and the fixture congestion, and then with a European campaign also with his tactics next year.

47 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

What? The guy is a footballing visionary. No manager has attempted to play a high line here before, he's a genius.

They sometimes get beat but that's just how they play mate ay?

I had no faith in us getting a result. Just too many silly goals going in lately and they are on a great run of form and it's at their place. Would have been delighted to come away with a point. I love being wrong like this.

Amazing performance.  And to think we were without Dougie-I feel he would have stifled Youri today who was excellent. Rogers had a whiff of Buendia about him-very forward thinking from midfield and we've been lacking that I think. Great performances across the board. No smash and grab-it was a well deserved win. Let's hope this has unlocked something in us and we can show some consistent quality for the rest of the season. It should give us confidence in beating a team that doesn't conceded many and scores a lot.

To the fans who traveled - hats off - congrats on being there for such great day!

• Like 2

I gave MOTM to Diego as many others did, but I nearly chose Emi because I think it would have been a different game and probably result if he hadn't made that save on Trossard.  Arsenal were generally on top with their tails up in the first half and us having to chase the game that early may have opened the floodgates.   A crucial save from a class keeper.

Like @maqroll, I was disappointed in the 2 Robbies on US coverage in that they were wondering why Arsenal and Odegaard fell off in the 2nd half rather than acknowledging that Villa made it difficult for them.   In their defense, on their podcast later on they were much more complimentary to Villa.

We are fortunate to never have to listen to Neville or Carragher commenting on games in the US.  The commentator for the US broadcast was Graeme Le Saux, and he is by wide margin the best commentator we get on any of the PL broadcasts over here.   He is intelligent, thoughtful and balanced, and gave plenty of praise to Villa.   I really enjoy listening to him.   They often pair him with Lee Dixon for big matches (i.e., Sky 6 v. Sky 6) over here and he actually manages to make Dixon tolerable to listen to (I know, I know) by giving him something to react to.   It also means there's less time for Dixon to open his mouth, which is always helpful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Villa put the icing on the cake on what was already a great weekend. Always believe you can go to places and get a result . 9/1 for Villa to win was an insult . Wish I’d put a few quid on it but I’m happy enough with the  3 points 🙂

• Like 1

We came, we saw and we conquered.

That was reminiscent of the 1980/81 side....such was the resolute display......gone was any sign of passive play, and a true reflection of their position

All the things, I have picking this team up for, they showed yesterday, they can do it......that was against a formidable Arsenal side, that was some scalp.

The defensive display was sublime, allied to some fine,fine offensive work.

Carlos stood out as a rock...closely followed by a Tielemans display, on par with his England showing.

I could not see that performance or result coming...its showed intensity, desire, belief, resilience, and rarely have I seen a collective defensive performance as good as that.

I was proud of that team and credit to every single one of them....so many could have been MOTM.

I would like to say a special mention to Pau Torres, for his involvement in the first goal, ....He took out Gabriel, for the ball to fizz across the box, to Bailey, it was instrumental in that goal.

Surely, that must change the complexion of the Lille visit, where Lille must be on their guard, after that rendition.

Bravo you Villa Boys.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tayls said:

I thought we were going to get absolutely destroyed today. So, I was wrong. 

you and the majority of the fan base.

I didn't see this application coming.....so, so delighted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

you and the majority of the fan base.

I didn't see this application coming.....so, so delighted.

Yep I thought we’d get smashed too. This is football and why we can’t expect to just turn up next week either. So much can still happen. 

But what a great position to be in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allani said:

I've knocked Carlos a few times.  Anyone could have got man of the match today.  But as a personal apology to him - he gets my vote.

but you wasn't wrong, when you thought it.....that was a colossal contrast to the Carlos in the Brentford game.

That's the Carlos, we expected, yesterday.

Shows what a top defender, he can be.

• Like 1

Â