Fallout TV (Amazon Prime) ***Spoilers***

TheAuthority

I'm really, really hopeful that this show will be so good that it needs it's own thread. It's fantastic video game series and there's plenty of material to have multiple seasons even (if they're completely isolated within the larger Fallout world.)

I'm so hopeful for this and the little that I've read seems to suggest that the folks involved in the production are real nerds. So hopefully they will do it justice. 

Watching the trailer it looks like they've nailed the feel of the environments but these days thats the easy part. Here's hoping the story and action are as addictive as the games.

I've put spoilers in the titles but that can be changed if people would rather put the spoilers concealed in their replies.

• Like 2

If I see any tell not show, exposition dumps other than lore about Vault Tec, then I'll be immediately switched off.

Too many shows these days rely on pure exposition dumps and zero world building.

Fallout is one of my favorite games series of all time so it better be **** good

• Like 1

So I haven't watched anything on Prime for ages, whats the adverts like? Is the program interrupted every ten mins?

Tempted to go to the high seas just for this show so my viewing pleasure isn't broken up into ten minute chunks.

27 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

So I haven't watched anything on Prime for ages, whats the adverts like? Is the program interrupted every ten mins?

Tempted to go to the high seas just for this show so my viewing pleasure isn't broken up into ten minute chunks.

You can pay extra to get rid of them. 

Of course. 

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I haven't (yet) noticed any adverts during an episode of anything, only at the start before it starts.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I thought the adds were only on their freebee stuff or whatever it's called? 

The normal prime stuff has a couple at the start (usually for other Amazon prime shows) but nothing after 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Yeah the ads are really brief and barely noticeable. Doesn't really impact at all imo. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Non-existent if you use an adblocker.

Going to start this after work. Seems initial reviews are good. There will likely be the usual internet backlash by troll fans, but everything has that now, so I'll just ignore it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/apr/11/prime-fallout-review-an-absolute-blast-of-a-tv-show

This immaculately made, supremely witty post-apocalyptic drama is yet another brilliant video game adaptation. It’s funny, self-aware and tense – an astonishing balancing act

For newcomers such as me, this intelligent, drily witty, immaculately constructed series set in the Fallout universe fully captivates and entertains on its own terms. 

The first thing to note is that, as with The Last of Us, there is no need for any viewer to be au fait with the source material of Fallout, Amazon’s new competitor in the field of hit video game adaptations (though a fan of the game who watched it with me assures me that there is much to enjoy in addition to the basic narrative if you are).

It is, if you’ll pardon the pun, an absolute blast.

It's getting rave reviews everywhere.

It's on Amazon Prime from today.

Edited by ender4

Watched episodes 1 & 2 last night. Lots of giggles and gore - it's fun.

I didn't realize that I know the exec producer and writer Geneva Robertson :o Haven't spoken to her for years but her dad is a Hollywood screenwriter - his big hit was Outbreak starring Dustin Hoffman.

So she's a bit of a nepo-baby but she's done pretty well for herself.

• Like 1

Amazon owned IMDB still hasn't got any rating for the show. They have for the episodes thou. Generally don't trust IMDB scores on Amazon shows. Reviews by watchers are mainly positive.

I'm glad to hear that it is decent, after I saw the trailer I thought it looked expensively cheap if that makes sense, like, the sets looked dilapidated yet new.

Loved the games though, I never actually finished one because I would just get caught up walking around picking up hundreds of nuka-cola bottle caps.

If there isn't a scene when someone slowly walks backwards while shooting some big scorpion thing then I'll be annoyed, that was what 90% of the fights were in this game lol.

Watched half the first episode and they’ve absolutely nailed it so far. It could be the opening to a game of fallout easily. Vibe, Easter eggs, setting. Brilliant. Hope it sticks the course. 

• Like 1

First episode is fantastic.

As someone who has clocked over 1,000 hours across 3,4 and NV I can confidently say they've nailed the look, feel, the humour and the storytelling of the games, but even more importantly I think even if you know zero about the world I think most will enjoy it.

Hope the quality is maintained for the whole series.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is the whole series out? That's always the main question.

Haven't played this or any other new games since Pro Evo 6* but I love me some post apocalypse.

*not quite true

Edited by fightoffyour

Â