New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yep, and there's absolutely nothing stopping them doing a complete u-turn and building a new stadium.

But like I said before, a categorical ruling out of a new stadium is far more evidence for us not building a new stadium than any evidence for the contrary

All I'm saying is, things change.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, and there's absolutely nothing stopping them doing a complete u-turn and building a new stadium.

But like I said before, a categorical ruling out of a new stadium is far more evidence for us not building a new stadium than any evidence for the contrary

At the moment they seem to have ruled out the North Stand development and a new ground, that must mean leaving the ground pretty much as it is, which they can't surely?  Something doesn't add up to me.  Hopefully things will become clearer in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

At the moment they seem to have ruled out the North Stand development and a new ground, that must mean leaving the ground pretty much as it is, which they can't surely?  Something doesn't add up to me.  Hopefully things will become clearer in the summer.

As far as I recall the North Stand development is officially "paused" isn't it?

They haven't ruled it out, just said it's not happening as soon as the expected.

I imagine that is very much still the plan. Just not right now

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

They actually said they will be adding 3k to the current ground by reconfiguring (whatever that means) and adding the disabled seats they are under.

51 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think we could really think outside the box and set a new trend in having 2 stadiums. If it's good enough for badges....

First half in one stadium, Second half in the other stadium.  

Same price for second stadium season tickets thus requiring two season tickets thus double revenue.  

Season Ticket holders will have first option on buying a season ticket for each stadium (no discount) so will have to pay for two season tickets.  

Club advise against this as fans will have only 15 minutes between each half.  Players will be transported via helicopters to the second ground.  

This opens up season tickets for new fans, with many many additional corporate packages available.  

For those staying in the first ground to watch the second half will be allowed to watch on big screens for an additional significant fee otherwise they need to depart before second half starts.  

Fans in the second stadium can watch the first half for an additional significant fee.

Villa will be releasing a fourth kit called ‘2nd stadium kit’ to generate more revenue which will still be claret and blue but different design.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

With the amount of trains going in that direction you'd surely expect majority of fans coming in by train as happens with London teams? West Ham didn't move to where they did to have 50k of them needing parking spots.

We're not moving anytime soon but to me the NEC remains the most viable spot with the existing transport links and what's to come with HS2 and Birmingham Interchange station.

Well, you'd hope a large majority would use the trains! I mean, in real life I don't know obviously how it'd pan out.

My experience of the NEC over the years though is:

1) Exiting the car parks is usually horrendous

2) The trains are remarkably unreliable, even though you have both local services and West Coast Mainline trains passing through. HS2 may change this, but that's about as near to realisation as hover cars at this point.

I'm not really knocking the location of the NEC though, it's about as good as anywhere in terms of infrastructure and available space (I think).

But I can't ignore the fact that it's (for many) on the wrong side of town.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As far as I recall the North Stand development is officially "paused" isn't it?

They haven't ruled it out, just said it's not happening as soon as the expected.

I imagine that is very much still the plan. Just not right now

I think that's what Heck said but in reality we have a small window in which we can get it ready for 2028.  I assume he will have moved on by then and somebody else's problem.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

West Ham had someone else build the stadium and lease it for free basically.

Third-party ownership of players has been prohibited since Tevez and Mascerano (oh look, it's West Ham again) hasn't it?

West Ham stadium….don’t know, may have something to do with why it was originally built or something….no idea. I’m sure somebody with more insight might know but why didn’t Everton follow the same thing or anybody who built a new stadium, there must be some nuance about West Ham.

3rd party, yeah you’re right.

I’m sure there is something in PSR about reflecting reality rather just accounting treatment ie like they do with overinflated sponsorship deals.  If it doesn’t look genuine, then it’s gets fair valued/adjusted.

Dont know mate!

Edited by nick76

37 minutes ago, meregreen said:

The NEC isn’t even in Birmingham, it’s part of Solihull. The noses would have a field day with that. Only club in Brum blah blah blah.

That's put me off the whole thing. Let's just buy the houses around Villa park and expand. 

58 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think that's what Heck said but in reality we have a small window in which we can get it ready for 2028.  I assume he will have moved on by then and somebody else's problem.

Yeah I wasn’t defending it, just saying they hadn’t ruled it out like the OP suggested. 

1 hour ago, mrchnry said:

That's put me off the whole thing. Let's just buy the houses around Villa park and expand. 

CPO’s would be cheaper than a fresh rebuild and would be the catalyst for gentrifying the local area. Highly unpopular but could be necessary. The local terrace housing is no doubt poorly insulated and a massive inefficient use of space. But they are peoples homes so it’s a delicate situation. If we could purchase the houses along Holte Road blocking the rebuilding of the Witton  and then Nelson Road so the New North Stand can be built bigger than previously proposed  then moving wouldn’t be so important. Lost properties could be replaced with town houses and apartments. This is the route I think we will take long term. 

Edited by thabucks

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

why didn’t Everton follow the same thing or anybody who built a new stadium

I bet they wish they did. Everyone else who built new stadiums already owned the stadiums too and the costs didn’t count for FFP. Only Everton have been hit by having to include interest on loans for building the stadium.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Does anyone really care what that bunch of illiterate, irrelevant, sister shagging inbreds actually think of us? 

If we had a 60k to 70k stadium hosting Real Madrid in the champions league is anyone seriously going to have that enjoyment tainted by it being at the NEC rather than Aston?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If we had a 60k to 70k stadium hosting Real Madrid in the champions league is anyone seriously going to have that enjoyment tainted by it being at the NEC rather than Aston?

No, but I still don’t see the business case that stacks up to justify it.  I’d much prefer a 50k Villa Park without all the debt and interest payments hosting Real Madrid in the champions league.

I’d also want regular season on season champions league run before saddling us with that debt because if NSWE do leave for whatever reason and we don’t have that regular big income we could be in a world of pain.  

I don’t want to be negative but a new stadium is a huge investment taking a long return period and we’ve only just posted £120m loss for the last period.  I think we need to be more self sufficient before we entertain something like especially if we can up the ground more in the mean time as Heck suggested along with better commercial revenue from other areas like sponsorships.

• Like 1

I really do hope that Sawiris and Edens have ideas for Villa park that far exceed what was previously put forward as in a similar way to how Politicians concern themselves with what their legacy will be, the same can be said with owners of Football clubs.

McGregors legacy was the Football league and its most successful club.

Rinders legacy was the Old Trinity Road stand.

Ellis legacy was decades of underperformance, unspeakable vandalism and the current standard of Villa Park.

Unfortunately Lerners legacy was one of wasted funding and eventual neglect (Although I will always be thankful for his redevelopment o the Holte End and Holte hotel).

Sawiris and Edens, who have mirrored Manchester City's owners on a number of endeavours, could possibly regenerate the Aston area  in a similar manner. It depends on what they would like their legacy to be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

We are the top club in the West Midlands.

As we have been for most seasons in our history. I don't think that is enough for our owners. They will want to be one of the best in the world.

• Thanks 1