Match Thread: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Got lucky with the Kudus disallowed goal as well. What is with with Villa and Moyes sides!? We're always shit against them generally and it's not like his sides are masters of the game. We just don't turn up.

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Every time we play West Ham I’ll always get flashbacks of that day 🤢

The journey back from that one was soooo long, the fluky 2008 Milner deflection one and the 2011 late Agbonlahor winner one made up for it a bit a few years later

• Like 1

Just now, Ponky said:

Is that the bloke who played 96 games for West Ham?

If I'm honest I don't know who he is 😂😂 but with Sky I'm not surprised, how can us as fans get an unbiased perspective! 

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

It looks to me like he's trying to play a chipped throughball and the west ham player blocks it with his arm which is an unnatural position making it handball.

It won't be the first time terrible officiating has cost us this season if we don't get anything out of this game.

If were Liverpool that's 100% given.

I think if ref whistles, it's a pen. VaR would've not intervened.

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

They knew it was a penalty, but the threshold to overturn the onfield decision is ridiculously high that they were never going to send the ref over. Whatever the ref awards on the pitch will always stand, making VAR pretty pointless for anything other than offsides. Its a penalty all day long. 99% of neutrals would agree

Eh? They change decisions all the time. 

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I understand that some of you hate when posters blame the referee.  What I hate worse is when posters slag off our own players and manager.  You can say Rogers should have marked the wing more closely than he did on the goal (fact), without stating that he's dross, useless, needs replaced immediately.  I understand passion, but I really struggle to understand venom at our own players and manager.  (Another Unai experiment isn't working!  As if he wasn't forced to think outside the box.)

I wouldn't change a thing (yet) except tell the back line and the pivot to move the ball more quickly, look for the long ball over the top more quickly, and get the ball to Leon and Ollie, Jhon, Rogers all get in the box for the cross or deflection.  We're not out of this, just need to execute a bit better.

The voice of reason. Well said sir but not sure it will be welcomed by the expert coaches on this thread.

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

There was a VAR check. Commentators on my stream thought they'd got lucky with the decision. 

VAR will never overturn ones like that because the ref clearly saw it and made the call and there's enough wiggle-room with handball rule that they can just defer to on-pitch decision. If ref hadn't seen it, might have been a different story.

for me, it is handball by the current wording of the rule because his arm is out in a way it doesn't need to be.

"touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised"

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

When we face a decent team we lose. I hope 6th place at least gets Europa as going back into Conference League would be a truly shambolic end. 

Season unravelling as we all deep down knew it would 

Dude. Please. 

Also important we don't lose sight of the injuries. Even leaving aside Mings & Buendia who would've had an impact to make all season - Kamara, McGinn and Ramsey could easily have been our starting midfield today to give Luiz The break he clearly needs