Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

So because a header went to our left back in the last minute we edged it…. Nope

Not sure that's what I said?

That shot only accounted for 0.02 xG anyway, it wasn't the only chance we had, while spurs only had one shot at all first half.

The deadlock at half-time was a decent representation of the balance of play.

Tottenham looked pretty solid and the one chance Villa had was spurned by Watkins trying to gift-wrap it for Bailey.

Villa's long hoofs downfield never looked like bringing much joy.

Villa's lack of pace down their left had already been exploited by Man United and Tottenham's opening goal came the same way.

At that point Villa were still in the game but a misdirected pass across the back-line, quickly followed, which took the game beyond Villa, and McGinn put the final touches to a bad day.

We've seen it all before, when Villa have chased glory on two fronts, and ran out of steam.

In previous years such a shock has led to serious decline, and we can only hope the club is more resilient this time around. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

We were fine in the first half, Spurs created nothing. 2nd half collapse is what cost us.

Yeah but we were also toothless, which not surprisingly once Spurs scored we had no reply. I get trying to balance conference league and the PL but you can't play for a 0-0 at home. 

• Like 1

A result like this afternoon has been coming we have been poor in recent games our possession is really poor we can’t seem to keep the ball which constantly puts pressure on us .

We have no one to replace Watkins  to rest him if we lose on Thursday it could end our fantastic season..

Do we really have a good enough squad to compete in the champions league if we do finish fourth..

Spurs has a more complete team compare to ours , the have creative midfielders ( Maddison / Bentacur ), good DM ( Bisouma / Sarr) & good wingers / inside forwards ( Son / Johnson and Richardlison to return ). 

we are now only relying on long pass to Watkins or Bailey/ Diaby wing play / crossing … 

With our only creative midfielder Buendia out and only our potent left side Ramsey injured , we will definitely struggle 

This hasn't hurt as much as some of the results this season, I feel like we've been waiting to cop a twatting off someone for a while.

Squad not big enough

Fewest players used in the league this season

Too many average players in the squad (not having a pop at them but its true)

Hit with injuries

Going deep in two competitions

we've had a good run, but I can see us taking a few bad losses now, just gotta hope that Man Utd stay shitter than us lol.

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I have no idea how to help you???

It's tough. A cringe game like today's seems to leave a lot of supporters on VT at the end of their tethers. I try to remember it's a process after a drubbing like this. This is the worst bit -- the bedwet and "season's over" stage. Most of us will recover that old Villa resilience in a day or two, I suspect. 😉 You watch. I think we will learn from today, I really do. . It felt like a match that was sort of overthought tactically, tbh. Unai definitely gets it wrong sometimes.

13 minutes ago, smg said:

Getting pissed about missing Champions league is ridiculous. We are not ready and everyone will get even more pissed when we do a Newcastle . We are far better getting experience in this year’s competition, moving on to the Europa league next season and building the squad over another year or two. 5 years ago today we beat Blues1-0 our current position is fairly impressive despite todays result. If you believe the comments on here most of our players are utter shit ( they really aren’t) so how realistically are they going to compete in the champions league? We can’t buy a new team for next season this is largely our squad going forward. It’s been good enough to get us this far which is way  beyond what most people realistically expected back in August. Aim high yes but also have some patience.

It doesn’t work like that though because we can’t build due to ffp so we will have our better players picked off and it’s back to the drawing board 

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Don't think he got the game plan wrong we just got undone by a great goal with their first shot on target, then Konsa and Tielemans just pointing and passing at the worst place on the pitch to misplace a pass minutes later. 

Game gone before Emery could react and then soon as Emery does start project salvage, McGinn "Leroy Jenkins" his way straight through a player in front of the ref, 4th official and staff and we've got half an hour to go knowing we've got close to 0 chance of sorting anything. 

Players look knackered, injuries has meant no rotation all season and it's starting to show. We've played more games already than Spurs will all season and we've still got 12 to go if we can get through midweek in Europe. 

This is key. We've been without Buendia and Mings ALL season, Ramsey for most of the season, will have been without Kamara for almost half the season and Torres for a good chunk of the season. Those are all very key players that would all be starting games for us - that's a hell of a lot of extra game time that's been loaded onto the shoulders of the players who have been fit.

2 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

It doesn’t work like that though because we can’t build due to ffp so we will have our better players picked off and it’s back to the drawing board 

You’ve solved the January sign and loans.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I know it's an easy out but ultimately injuries (and the resulting extra fatigue) are having a huge impact on how we set up in games now.

Tbh even if the worst happens and we finish 6th I still think he's done a very good job this season, bearing in mind the injuries, which really have been horrific and one of the worst situations I can ever remember.

Finishing 6th and missing out on CL would be a disaster for this football club.

Were then not talking about selling one key player in the summer to keep in line with FFP it will be 2 or 3.