• Cash (Torres 45)
    • McGinn (Diaby 63)
    • Bailey (Rogers 63)
    • Zaniolo (Iroegbunam 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/24 at 23:59

Given that we will need our strongest XI for the games against Spurs and West Ham, is there a case for 'Moscow-ing' this second leg and playing the kids?

I hope not, but I think we're going to have to do it with a weakened eleven again, possibly one weaker than tonight's and I'm hopeful that'll still be enough at VP, but jeeeesh we've made this hard for ourselves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

2nd yellow so we won't be able to 😕

This is a Premier League rule, as I understand it, you can appeal yellows in UEFA competitions. e.g,:

https://www.beinsports.com/en-us/soccer/ligue-1/articles/uefa-reject-psgs-rabiot-card-appeal

• PSG's appeal of Adrien Rabiot's yellow card against Real Madrid in the Champions League has been denied.

I might be wrong because I have never really followed UEFA competitions in the last few years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

They never really looked like bothering us with Marlon Harewood 2.0 up front. It wasn't until Akpom came on that I thought we looked vulnerable.

Gave Martinez motm. Can't have been easy dealing with a crowd keen to remind him they haven't forgotten about the world cup 😁

• Like 1

Not for the first time in this competition, we've played down to the level of a supposedly poorer side.

Lets not kid ourselves, this wasn't your classic well battled and organised 0-0 away first leg in europe, we were terrible for large parts of that game, incapable of keeping the ball, bad decisions, bottling 50/50s.

We were trying to attack, but all it took was a little pressure from them and we just coughed up the ball. Their keeper had nothing to do.

The Konsa red card came from our throw in; a couple of lazy touches giving the ball away and the striker is played in behind.

Only thing worse was the ref, who was truly abysmal.

• Like 2

We barely turned up, didn't play with a midfield for about an hour and never left 2nd gear (likely intentionally) and Ajax still got just 5 shots at home. Not bad.

Shame the word removed for a referee booked Konsa twice for having the nerve to get fouled

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

This is a Premier League rule, as I understand it, you can appeal yellows in UEFA competitions. e.g,:

https://www.beinsports.com/en-us/soccer/ligue-1/articles/uefa-reject-psgs-rabiot-card-appeal

I might be wrong because I have never really followed UEFA competitions in the last few years

Ah interesting!

Still I doubt we'll get it overturned, it was one of those where it isn't bad enough to be deemed an error.

• Like 1

Did Ian Taylor seriously just say “nobody ever talks about Emi Martinez” in his post match analysis? 🤣

I dont know how a neighbour of mine managed interrupt a match that started at 4:45am for near it's entirety. Got the last 15 minutes to myself. 

Decent result 

Good to see contributions from Zaniolo, Bailey and McGinn. No doubt Emi had moment that helped us see off a threat. 

Some times teams cancel each other out in the contest and it gets all over the place as a consequence, that's what i could make of the little i saw without being almost completely distracted

I'll take it.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Given that we will need our strongest XI for the games against Spurs and West Ham, is there a case for 'Moscow-ing' this second leg and playing the kids?

I hope not, but I think we're going to have to do it with a weakened eleven again, possibly one weaker than tonight's and I'm hopeful that'll still be enough at VP, but jeeeesh we've made this hard for ourselves.

I'd be amazed if that is the case mate. If we beat Spurs I am 100% certain we go full strength in the second leg. Even if we don't I think we'll start at least as strong as tonight, more than likely stronger, and look to have the game put to bed by 60 minutes, then make changes.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

That was appalling.

As ever when we try to win games in first gear, we're terrible. So many wayward passes, no movement, no pace. Really bad.

And a clown in charge. First half made decisions based on the crowd reaction and second half just started handing out cards at random. First half Ajax could have shot one of ours and the ref would play on, second half he starts booking players for nothing.

Awful match.

• Like 1

You can't go on the road and force the home team to play football. Perfect result for playing against a negative side that never wanted to score. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I can only assume 3rd tier competition means 3rd tier referees

Albanian ref

No clue as to whether commentators highlight country for sake of it or if he is refereeing in Albania primarily 

• Like 1

Typical European game for us this season. Boring ,poor,  lacking ideas but got the job done against a tricky team away from home. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 3

Â