• Cash (Torres 45)
    • McGinn (Diaby 63)
    • Bailey (Rogers 63)
    • Zaniolo (Iroegbunam 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/24 at 23:59

13 hours ago, villan95 said:

I can only assume 3rd tier competition means 3rd tier referees

Yes, hopefully we will get one of those for the next leg. Rather than one from wish.com

• Haha 1

Too reminiscent of previous turgid European nights to be enjoyable, and although the name Ajax suggested European glamour, it was more like a replay of Helsingborgs.

So the return fixture does not promise to be very appetizing.

• Haha 1

It was a frustrating watch. It’s always a bit of a worry when (I think) both teams were happy to play out a 0-0 draw and settle it in the second leg. 

I think we have come so far under UE that going away to Ajax and getting a draw is seen as a poor result. 

The big disappointment for me was Diaby, after his pretty tame shot in the first half he never really got near the goal again. But to give Ajax credit they were very compact when we had the ball. I don’t think we got behind them once all game. 

This one will be forgotten quickly if we pick up a win next Thursday at VP.  

The clean sheet was the main objective.

0-0 in an away leg of a European competition, in front of a partisan crowd, is ok....it wasn't designed to be a spectacle.

The referee was poor, but it seems to be a recurring theme.....We can't keep blaming the officials, even if they are poor. We have to take care of ourselves.

We have to manage the physicality in a game, we cannot keep relying on the referee.

It seems to me, refs are letting some pretty robust challenges go,now, mainly body presses.....we have to be prepared for it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, useless said:

Too many people underestimating Ajax, they've only lost two of their last fifteen, and have good home record, and as a club they have massive experience in Europe, to go there and get a draw is a good result, as Emery said, we lost to Legia Warszawa, and could only draw with Zrinjski, we also need a last minute winner to beat them in the first game, no games are easy in this competition

The game plan worked, we kept it tight, we were able to rest some players, not completely, but they didn't have to play as much as they might have done, and we also played in such a way that conserved energy, wasn't good to watch, but it did the job, of course would have been nice to snatch a goal or two, but we weren't good in possession

I would have taken a draw beforehand, and now we're strong favorites at home

Hallelujah!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Given that we will need our strongest XI for the games against Spurs and West Ham, is there a case for 'Moscow-ing' this second leg and playing the kids?

I hope not, but I think we're going to have to do it with a weakened eleven again, possibly one weaker than tonight's and I'm hopeful that'll still be enough at VP, but jeeeesh we've made this hard for ourselves.

Liverpool, seem to be having success, playing their kids......are ours not of the same quality?.....or is it down to bravery to play them?

I was pleased to see Tim and Morgan, given a run out.

15 hours ago, andym said:

Not for the first time in this competition, we've played down to the level of a supposedly poorer side.

Lets not kid ourselves, this wasn't your classic well battled and organised 0-0 away first leg in europe, we were terrible for large parts of that game, incapable of keeping the ball, bad decisions, bottling 50/50s.

We were trying to attack, but all it took was a little pressure from them and we just coughed up the ball. Their keeper had nothing to do.

The Konsa red card came from our throw in; a couple of lazy touches giving the ball away and the striker is played in behind.

Only thing worse was the ref, who was truly abysmal.

I think you can make a case, for some of the things going on in the game, like you have....but some of them I have seen when we have won.

but the clean sheet vindicates much of it.....just like the 3 goals at Luton did, in contrast.

Edited by TRO

It's barely credible that they could find a ref even worse than the collection of buffoons,  clowns and donkeys  operating in our leagues, but UEFA somehow managed it.  If he'd been consistent in his decisions it could have been five a side by the end.  Yellow cards for being fouled,  more yellow cards for innocuous challenges, yet more yellow cards for what appeared to be absolutely nothing at all.  Yet not even a foul for Brobbey barging into Lenglet after the ball had gone and sending him flying.  He did the same again later.       

He even had a brief period where he let quite a few robust challenges go in some sort of feeble attempt to let the game flow before reverting to thinking he was reffing the battle of Santiago. 

Quite possibly the worst ref I've ever seen, and yet I still won't be surprised if the next one sinks to even lower depths.

It must be hard to play football with such a clown ruining it.

Job done. Finish it off now lads. Wasn't pretty, but that's life in Europe sometimes. One of the worst refs (and his guessing helpers) I've ever seen. Martinez was absolute class, as shown by the MOTM votes.

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we have to be looking to the West Ham game in the team we select for the second leg - the likes of Luiz can't play 90 minutes tonight, then 90 against Spurs, 90 against Ajax and 90 against West Ham - we'll need to weaken for the second leg.

I am no expert on energy conservation with players, but I have a mixed opinion.

It seems to me we are generally worse in performance ,when we have longish lay offs......There is a few recent quotes from football people, that make me think a bit deeper.

• Ange said or words to the effect of.." we lose rhythm when have less games"
  • Lascelles said " I could actually play another game, straight after a game"
  • Leon Bailey said.." We prefer a mid week game, to keep up the rhythm and get locked in ( I presume he means bonding)

I think these players, are fitter, than we give them credit for, they also train and go on pre-season tours, so surely that should be curtailed if energy was the issue purported.

My understanding is, if we play mid-week, we do less training, so the difference to me is a benefit of match practice as opposed to training ground practice.

I get the physical contact is a factor, but we are not really proficient at that anyway.

Personally, I think we play better, when we have more games....i.e Man City mid-week....Arsenal the week-end.

I don't think we need to worry as much as we do about, fitness/ energy......injuries aside.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're more than capable of losing to West Ham and Wolves and being locked into a really tight battle with Spurs and United for 4th-6th at the end of this month even if we beat Spurs at the weekend - eight of our eleven remaining games are against teams with an eye on Europe or the title - it's going to be incredibly tough, regardless of a good result this weekend.

I think we have to treat that West Ham game after the second leg the same way we're treating the Spurs game after tonight. It's going to be a massive three games in a week before we get a little breather ahead of Wolves.

The first 10 games equated to 2.2 ppg

The second 10 games equated to 2 ppg

The remaining 7 games equates to 1.85 ppg

so we are fading slightly, ( for whatever reason) and the recent home defeats, have shown a vulnerability....so we cannot cling to Fortress Villa Park, as a saviour.

It will be a tough run in, due to the above.

The Spurs game will be super crucial, but it will be to them too....so in such circumstances, I can't see beyond a draw.

What we have done this season, is phenomenal, beyond my expectations.....but I can see, vulnerabilities, that could, see us fade, from lofty 4th.

I sincerely hope we can sustain it.....but I am uncertain.

For me, it has nothing to do with being in Europe, and I think that campaign, is more certain.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Did the ref not realise he had already booked the Ajax player? Seemed to be a delay for the red card

Looked like he only realised after seeing the name already in the book

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I am no expert on energy conservation with players, but I have a mixed opinion.

It seems to me we are generally worse in performance ,when we have longish lay offs......There is a few recent quotes from football people, that make me a bit deeper.

• Ange said or words to the effect of.." we lose rhythm when have less games"
  • Lascelles said " I could actually play another game, straight after a game"
  • Leon Bailey said.." We prefer a mid week game, to keep up the rhythm and get locked in ( I presume he means bonding)

I think these players, are fitter, than we give them credit for, they also train and go on pre-season tours, so surely that should be curtailed if energy was the issue purported.

My understanding is, if we play mid-week, we do less training, so the difference to me is a benefit of match practice as opposed to training ground practice.

I get the physical contact is a factor, but we are not really proficient at that anyway.

Personally, I think we play better, when we have more games....i.e Man City mid-week....Arsenal the week-end.

I don't think we need to worry as much as we do about, fitness/ energy......injuries aside.

I've only ever played semi professionally in Australia's third tier in basketball. While we have a decent national team and representation in the NBA, the standard of play is nowhere near the best.

I've never been athletically blessed or fitness focused but have held my own against guys who averaged well over 20ppg in the NCAA, and who were predicted to be drafted into the NBA but for whatever reason opted for the NBL in Australia and even matching up against me.

Point here is this. I dont think i would have a chance of competing with the stamina of most Premier League players. The conditioning would be worlds apart.

Yet ive gone injury free since 2003 and played the kind of hours at semi pro level for years that would make me think its less to do with the body holding up fitness wise, and more to do with situations that are not just strenuous, which is trained for, but too compromising of natural postures and body alignment if that makes sense?

Im no expert though and i don't pretend to be just hoping that may be a shot in the dark struck with some luck 

1 hour ago, villaajax said:

Looked like he only realised after seeing the name already in the book

In fairness he was just giving cards at random so it was just as much a surprise for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

In fairness he was just giving cards at random so it was just as much a surprise for him.

Apparently he red cards in 40% of his games.

Not blaming him for our performance, the changes and Ajax’s willingness to press and harry, meant we didn’t manage our usual control and rhythm. Was very happy with the result, if not the performance or sending off.

I can see a reinstated  McGinn, Bailey, Pau and possibly Ramsey should restore that, I saw enough to be reassured Bailey will add a level of chaos they are unused to and will be key to unlocking them at home.

Edited by thunderball

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Apparently he red cards in 40% of his games.

Not blaming him for our performance, the changes and Ajax’s willingness to press and harry, meant we didn’t manage our usual control and rhythm. Was very happy with the result, if not the performance or sending off.

I can see a reinstated  McGinn, Bailey, Pau and possibly Ramsey should restore that, I saw enough to be reassured Bailey will add a level of chaos they are unused to and will be key to unlocking them at home.

perhaps he's a communist.😁

Â