• Rogers (Ramsey 29)
    • Diaby (Bailey 78)
    • Iroegbunam (Rogers 78)
    • Digne (Moreno 78)
    • Zaniolo (Tielemans 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/24 at 23:59

Should have been four up at half time. Michael Oliver did his best to benefit the big six - I don't think I've seen a more biased performance for years. To come back like that means more than conceding two cheap goals. Top teams score late winners. 

Maybe McPhee should take a break from coaching attacking set pieces and focus on our defending from them instead!

Need to sharpen up and stop conceding so easily, far too much unnecessary pressure. 

For as well as we play, the chances we create and goals we score… it can all be undone in a game if we can’t defend from free kicks and corners!

I really hope we can get Pau and Konsa playing together consistently…

Chong, not once but twice is holding Emi when the corner and secondary cross comes in. Our goal against Sheff Utd was ruled out for less. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

As delighted as I was with that unexpected winner, on that second - half performance, we hardly deserved a point. Genuinely felt a bit for Luton.

Had we threw that away, I would have been castigating Cash for allowing that Luton throw  - in to go down the line which led to the free - kick and their second. Shocking defending. 

To be fair konsa pulling the guy back to was pathetic and unnecessary. The guy was in the touch line with cash getting back around. Just let him go and defend the next phase

Just now, punkiller1981 said:

To be fair konsa pulling the guy back to was pathetic and unnecessary. The guy was in the touch line with cash getting back around. Just let him go and defend the next phase

It should never have reached that phase. What was Cash watching as the throw - in was taken? It's basic defending. 

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

All he did was stare at the player and successfully block him off... 

Chong doesn't do that, he tries to but he doesnt

No way is that goal tonight ever coming back for interfering with play

Like I said refs have a lot of problems, they're not good enough but banging that drum is a waste of time, that is not a dodgy goal that we've been done by, the worst decision tonight was not sending off Luiz

not every game is Aston Villa vs a ref, he was poor with mengi, that's it

If our defender has to run around an offside player, it’s an offside offence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If our defender has to run around an offside player, it’s an offside offence. 

In modern football? 

That's not how PGMOL ref games, if he physcially blocks him off then maybe it'll be given but running round them, no it's not, you'll see that every game, you'll see us do it too

Of course it should be offside, same as someone stood in the 6 yard box is of course interfering with a GK but that's not how PGMOL interpret the rule

Chong doesn't do enough to be classed as interfering, Moreno is also never getting there 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In modern football? 

That's not how PGMOL ref games, if he physcially blocks him off then maybe it'll be given but running round them, no it's not, you'll see that every game, you'll see us do it too

Of course it should be offside, same as someone stood in the 6 yard box is of course interfering with a GK but that's not how PGMOL interpret the rule

Chong doesn't do enough to be classed as interfering, Moreno is also never getting there 

Moreno nearly manages to challenge Morris even with the block off. 

the way I’d describe it is that it’s subjective whether Moreno is getting there but it’s objective that he has to run around an offside player to make a challenge, so the objectivity should go above the subjectivity. Same as for VVD

• Like 1

possibly the worst half of football under unai but wonderful to get the win. you can argue that's what the top teams do, play shit and get the win

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

possibly the worst half of football under unai but wonderful to get the win. you can argue that's what the top teams do, play shit and get the win

I'll settle for that against "Big Ange's Tottenham Hotspunks"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herman22 said:

The worst I have seen from the worst refs in the world. 

Mike Oliver will be devastated. He did everything he could but he comes away with nothing. 

I’m not one to whine about refs but I just cannot look at that second half without blaming Oliver for our dropoff - every time we competed for a ball they got a free kick, every time they fouled us we got nothing. Never seen anything quite like it.

• Like 1

A comfortable first half, which gave us the cushion that we wanted and that we ultimately needed. A spirited second half fightback by Luton, ably assisted by a referee, who gave them the benefit of the doubt and then some. A superb late winner, just when the home fans thought they had at the very least a point in the bag.

Digne earned every penny of his salary this week, in that one splendid moment;), with a goal that gave us a win, that could prove so vital at the end of this season, when the points are totted up. You have to feel for our opponents though, or do you? Those Hatters will be mad tonight! :D We can breathe a sigh of relief and celebrate another cup final win on our road to the CL. 

Coins of your choice 🪙 - Ideas & Feature Requests - Empires & Puzzles  Community Forum  

• Like 2

Didn’t really notice at the time but the free kick for their 2nd goal was taken nowhere near where the foul was committed. It was a good 6 yards further in field giving their player a much better angle to whip it in. 

Harder second half but stuck with it and got the 3 points which is massive with Spurs coming to VP next week.

Ref was terrible, also when is Watkins going to start getting fouls giving him for getting pushed, pulled and manhandled every week?.

Need to tighten up at the back, going forward we look a danger again.

Huge game next week hopefully VP is rocking and we get another 3 points.

1 hour ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Picking up on some folks comments re: how we started second half, I think more credit needs to go to Luton too. It is a game of two teams after all and IMO Rob Edwards is doing a fantastic job. Luton haven’t fallen into the trap of the promoted ‘10 in your own half’ approach and have a clear, physical, style, which I’m fine with.

I’ll take a fortunate win today and it was truly a case of our squad depth and quality paying dividends today for a change. First half everything clicked, they seemed ticked by their injury. Second half we we were slow to adapt to their changes until the 4 subs. Watkins was superb today. 

Yeah you have to give credit to Luton and it reminded me a lot of United away. Just relentless pressure, clogging the middle, and then badgering Ollie. 

Not for the first time, a bit curious Unai didn’t take Youri and Moreno out sooner - two players that clearly struggle in a scrum that Luton turned the match into. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6065_Villa said:

Harder second half but stuck with it and got the 3 points which is massive with Spurs coming to VP next week.

Ref was terrible, also when is Watkins going to start getting fouls giving him for getting pushed, pulled and manhandled every week?.

Need to tighten up at the back, going forward we look a danger again.

Huge game next week hopefully VP is rocking and we get another 3 points.

It’s like when benteke hardly used to get anything for being stronger despite being repeatedly fouled. 

One of the more concerning things for me was a few minutes after the Morris goal we almost conceded again from an almost identical set piece 

Â