Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Olise is the one, but I doubt we could get him, especially being that Man City were interested.

Keep hearing Manure links. Either way we can't match these teams for wages

I think we got Rogers for much cheaper with similar underlying attacking stats and better defensive stats. 

Not sure why people keep posting we should pay silly money to other PL clubs for players when that's clearly not our strategy going forward

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

They got lucky with him and having a chief executive who reported to the board, who wanted to sack him on a number of occasions, that he was changing the whole culture at the club, was changing the whole nature and they had an absolute thunderbust if talent coming through and to trust the process. Martin Edwards was as much to thank for them as Fergie as without him Fergie would have been sacked in around 1990/91.

Fergie was interviewed by a good friend from a local paper of his when at Aberdeen and stated there were only two English sides he'd ever manage, Man United and Aston Villa. Wish I could find that article as used to have it.

I have heard contrary stuff that Fergie was a Birmingham fan when he was younger and stood in the Tilton with his dad, I think Fergie is on record saying SHA were the bigger club or something silly 🤣 (something that Dwight would repeat when he signed for Blues...🫤). I guess Fergie wised up as he aged and saw through the crap just like he did with Rangers.

Edited by Villa_Vids

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Someone I know who knows someone at Wolves (I know it sounds dodgy, my ex boss, a dingle is in with corporate there, wasn't happy to hear and told me) reckons Neves would be open to join us, happy to stay in the region, is kids at school here etc., we want him but the fee is an issue.

I wouldn't say no. I doubt we would want to pay the £55m or so they gave Wolves or be able to match his wage demands though. Depends whether his club would want an arm and a leg for him, or would settle for around £40m? 

I would hope that CL qualification would enable us to bring in a couple of players at around that price in the summer and that we could also bring in a couple of young players, such as those that we signed in the last window. UE and Monchi, will be making or have already agreed, their list.  

48 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If we have no or very little FFP room we shouldn't be signing a forward unless one is sold for big money.

TBH I think we need a big sale this summer and depending who comes in with big money will probably determine what what positions we sign this summer.

We won't be selling players, unless we get huge money offers.

We are on our way now, last thing Emery will wanna do is supper next season lby losing our big name players.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We are on our way now, last thing Emery will wanna do is supper next season lby losing our big name players.

We might have to though due to FFP?

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Someone I know who knows someone at Wolves (I know it sounds dodgy, my ex boss, a dingle is in with corporate there, wasn't happy to hear and told me) reckons Neves would be open to join us, happy to stay in the region, is kids at school here etc., we want him but the fee is an issue.

We could do worse. His style is more closer to Luiz than Kamara so probably hints at how the summer transfer model might go.

Pretty similar to Tielemans who was settled in the Midlands so wanted to join us over a few other clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

That is what I said,, a big sale.

Well yes we don't need to sell if we don't buy anyone.

Maybe that's the better idea ans just use tv income to fill the gaping FFP black hole we have.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Well yes we don't need to sell if we don't buy anyone.

Maybe that's the better idea ans just use tv income to fill the gaping FFP black hole we have.

Maybe.

Here is a fun exercise for fellow posters to give grief over.

Assuming you have zero FFP spending room but the owners want to spend money….

Who would you sell to free up FFP room and who would you buy with that room?

I’ll do mine tomorrow, if some others do there’s, I already know a load of you are going to HATE mine.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We could do worse. His style is more closer to Luiz than Kamara so probably hints at how the summer transfer model might go.

Pretty similar to Tielemans who was settled in the Midlands so wanted to join us over a few other clubs.

Kamara's ACL probably makes our midfield transfer situation a bit clearer at this point.

Luiz and Ramsey are clearly the big players most likely to depart in the summer. There's very credible noise behind both of them at this point. You imagine the (hypothetical) combined sales of Luiz and Ramsey would bring in around £150m, with a sizeable chunk of that being an academy sale for FFP. Combined with some more deadwood clearing, and you'd imagine that would significantly alleviate the concerning finance figures being banded round by UEFA.

From that point, it's getting in a replacements. IMO we might have already signed Ramsey's (long-term) replacement in Rogers. Bring in a Nunes on top of that, and Villa might be on track to have cleverly manoeuvred past a difficult FFP situation: hopefully not at too much detriment to the team.

Edited by wishywashy

16 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Kamara's ACL probably makes our midfield transfer situation a bit clearer at this point.

Luiz and Ramsey are clearly the big players most likely to depart in the summer. There's very credible noise behind both of them at this point. You imagine the (hypothetical) combined sales of Luiz and Ramsey would bring in around £150m, with a sizeable chunk of that being an academy sale for FFP. Combined with some more deadwood clearing, and you'd imagine that would significantly alleviate the concerning finance figures being banded round by UEFA.

From that point, it's getting in a replacements. IMO we might have already signed Ramsey's (long-term) replacement in Rogers. Bring in a Nunes on top of that, and Villa might be on track to have cleverly manoeuvred past a difficult FFP situation: hopefully not at too much detriment to the team.

I think someone might come in for Watkins and I would rather sell him than Luiz

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I think someone might come in for Watkins and I would rather sell him than Luiz

I think the 5-year contract Ollie signed back in October makes him very unlikely to move. As an English elite Prem striker under such a long contract, he'd probably be prohibitively expensive even to the elite teams. Such a big extension would be a clear indication that he wants to stay here, too.

Luiz's contract doesn't look like it's getting extended, and it just feels like there's way too much transfer noise around him at this point. Honestly, for the mooted £90-100m price tag, I'd go for the sale. I think he'd be very difficult to replace, but IMO he wouldn't be as irreplaceable as similar price bracket players like Grealish was to us. 

The elite midfielder market does feel like it's often way larger than the elite striker market nowadays too: it'd probably end up being easier to source a Luiz replacement of similar quality than to find a striker who can consistently score 15+ Prem goals a season.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Not sure how selling both Ramsey and luis would not have to much of a detrimental effect on the team given they are both key first team players. If we have no head room with FFP (which I doubt) then why would we sell players that we know work in the way we want to play for what most likely would be lesser players therefore taking us backwards. Seems like wanting to sell players just for the sake of wanting to sign players. If it’s not broke don’t fix it 

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

He's playing in Saudi, a bit of a  has been, no thanks.

Gomes, Cunha, Neto, Hee-Chan, Lemina. Take your pick.

Neto I meant. Bloody predictive text on phone.

7 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

I have heard contrary stuff that Fergie was a Birmingham fan when he was younger and stood in the Tilton with his dad, I think Fergie is on record saying SHA were the bigger club or something silly 🤣 (something that Dwight would repeat when he signed for Blues...🫤). I guess Fergie wised up as he aged and saw through the crap just like he did with Rangers.

From what I heard his dad worked at BSA and would take him down but he used to sneak off and go down the Villa.

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Maybe.

Here is a fun exercise for fellow posters to give grief over.

Assuming you have zero FFP spending room but the owners want to spend money….

Who would you sell to free up FFP room and who would you buy with that room?

I’ll do mine tomorrow, if some others do there’s, I already know a load of you are going to HATE mine.

Hasn't UE said that we won't need to sell our best players and why would we have zero net spending, if we have income coming in through a potential league 4th/5th finish, and CL qualification?

Players may come and go during the next window, but they are likely to be players that we are willing to let go or the odd one that having worked to achieve CL qualification, might then choose to jump ship rather than actually want to play for us in the CL next season. 

I think that our big hitters will be happy to stick around for at least one more season, assuming that we have exceeded our pre-season objectives by qualifying for the CL. I also consider that our owners won't hesitate to back UE and Monchi in getting their targets to the club. I for one, would prefer to focus on who those players will be, rather than on who we would be prepared to sell. We are not a selling club, after all. Our best players are not for sale, simples!

• Like 1

Â