Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Donkety Donk has played/plays for Belgium.

Zaniolo may get in the Italy squad.

Coutinho had played for Brazil while he was fit and with us.

Olsen is a Swedish international.

Would you want to keep any of them in the summer?

Come on... 😂

On 23/03/2024 at 14:52, allani said:

Except last season our goals against was good and our goals for was poor.  Didn't Emi break a record on clean sheets last season?  12 months ago our issue was definitely scoring goals rather than conceding them.

We have played most of the season without either of our first choice left-sided midfielders, a recognised DM and probably the two players who headed the ball most frequently in the box (Mings and Buendia - although that is based on memory rather than any confirmed statistics).

That said I do agree that my focus for the summer would be (mainly) defensive:

- I would like another ball-playing DM to cover for Kamara but also allow us to play a Kamara, DM, Dougie three when we want / need to lock down the midfield.  

- I'm not convinced by Konsa at RB (he seems to lose his defensive ability and he doesn't offer enough going forwards) but I don't think that Cash is quite good enough in either direction.

- We need more aerial power in the box (both ends of the pitch).

However, assuming that Buendia, Ramsey and Mings return from the summer in close to peak fitness (a big assumption I know) I'm wondering how many of those gaps they would / could fill?  Would slotting Mings into our defensive line and having Buendia / Ramsey rotating on the left solve most of our defensive issues without inhibiting our new attacking threat?  Questions that would probably have been resolved during this season but may not be resolved before the end of pre-season. 

That's basically, all I have been saying.

The ultimate goal is to be able to attack and defend with equal aplomb.....that's why we are WIP.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 15:21, allani said:

PS - with the exception of Liverpool, Arsenal and City - only Everton and Man Utd have conceded fewer goals than us.  We've scored 21 more goals than Utd and 31 more than Everton - so I'm not sure we should be modelling our set-up on them.  Let's say that Spurs win their game in hand 1-0 (and I really hope they don't) we'd then have exactly the same record as them in terms of wins, losses, draws, goals for and goals against.  Interestingly last season our defence was the joint 7th best - this season we are joing 6th best.  We finished last season with a GD of +5 and this season it currently stands at +18.  If we continue this season's goals against rate then we'll finish off conceding 9 goals more than last season.  Given all the defensive injuries we've had (not just to defenders but including Kamara, Buendia and Ramsey) that's not awful.

Again I'm not saying that I disagree with your general point.  Just that maybe it isn't quite as critical as it might appear.

I am merely saying......we have a way to go.

I am not suggesting we should  be on par with the top 3.....just saying using them as a yardstick, to target improvement....and an aim, for the future.

I think Brazil give a good example of how to defend in the international, (albeit close to sendings off) and how to switch/ morph to attack too.....Some folk, seem to think defending is all about thuggery.....physicality can be stealth like too.

I understand defenders have to be able to pass the ball, and reading the game is paramount....it's not just about physicality, but I hope I never suggested it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am merely saying......we have a way to go.

I am not suggesting we should  be on par with the top 3.....just saying using them as a yardstick, to target improvement....and an aim, for the future.

I think Brazil give a good example of how to defend in the international, (albeit close to sendings off) and how to switch/ morph to attack too.....Some folk, seem to think defending is all about thuggery.....physicality can be stealth like too.

I understand defenders have to be able to pass the ball, and reading the game is paramount....it's not just about physicality, but I hope I never suggested it was.

Agreed.  For the battle for 4th - 8th I think our offensive and defensive numbers stack up pretty well.  But if we want to do more than consolidate our position in that battle each season (which would still be a tremendous step forward from the last 20 years) then the numbers need to improve. 

I do think that a lot hinges on how well Mings comes back from his injury.  I think he adds that physicality, aerial strength whilst still being pretty good with the ball at his feet and being able to win the ball back and quickly transition into attack / control of the ball.  I don't think that it's a one or the other - there are a handful of players just in the PL who I think could deliver both and who we'd have a pretty decent shout of being able to sign. 

As you and I have said many times through the years it's about balance.  I think all I was trying to say is that part of the reason we've lost a bit of balance is because we've had so many injuries in very specific areas this season - almost all of which have been in more "defensive" positions.  So whilst I definitely think that another Kamara-esque DM, a RB (unless Kosta turns out to be a genius signing who can have an immediate impact) and a prospect CB (to replace Lenglet / Hause / Chambers) are high on the priority list - I think some of that balance would naturally return if Mings, Ramsey and Buendia return in the summer and we can avoid having so many CBs out at the same time next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He's joking. @Delphinho123's hate of Zaniolo is well known.

I’ve had to channel that Buendia energy somewhere this season, mate. 

You just wait til that knee is all healed up. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, allani said:

Agreed.  For the battle for 4th - 8th I think our offensive and defensive numbers stack up pretty well.  But if we want to do more than consolidate our position in that battle each season (which would still be a tremendous step forward from the last 20 years) then the numbers need to improve. 

I do think that a lot hinges on how well Mings comes back from his injury.  I think he adds that physicality, aerial strength whilst still being pretty good with the ball at his feet and being able to win the ball back and quickly transition into attack / control of the ball.  I don't think that it's a one or the other - there are a handful of players just in the PL who I think could deliver both and who we'd have a pretty decent shout of being able to sign. 

As you and I have said many times through the years it's about balance.  I think all I was trying to say is that part of the reason we've lost a bit of balance is because we've had so many injuries in very specific areas this season - almost all of which have been in more "defensive" positions.  So whilst I definitely think that another Kamara-esque DM, a RB (unless Kosta turns out to be a genius signing who can have an immediate impact) and a prospect CB (to replace Lenglet / Hause / Chambers) are high on the priority list - I think some of that balance would naturally return if Mings, Ramsey and Buendia return in the summer and we can avoid having so many CBs out at the same time next season.

Should add Carlos to that list and replace with one player - Todibo

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve had to channel that Buendia energy somewhere this season, mate. 

You just wait til that knee is all healed up. 

I’m imagining a similar Buendia training montage but with you preparing your freshest insults. “Soon…..”

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

So I am doing an updated list which will be much the same but for the moaners who think Frimpong isn't a right back, I know who you are already, yes, YOU!
I am also removing the Watkins sale from the initial sales..... more on that later.
I have also been reassessing the midfield so I will copy/paste/edit my post from page 21 - after all it is sunday night during an international break.

These are the players I would sell/release in the summer all figures are in euros and from Transfermarkt.

The amortized value is what he costs us per year on the accounts and the book value is the total amount of amortization left until he he has a value of zero for FFP. This means for an FFP profit on a player he must be sold for more than his book value.

I also think it is worth mentioning how these values are worked out.... lets say we sign a player on a 5 year contract for 50m. After 3 years we sign him to a new 5 year contract this means for the first 3 years he is with us he amortizes at 10m per year making his book value 20m when he signs a 5 year extension to his contract.
He will then amortize at 4m per year for the next five years. I hope that is simple to understand.

Lenglet - End of loan

Zaniolo - End of loan

Chambers - 29 in the summer, 1 year left on his deal brought for 0m, 

House - 29 in the summer, 1 year left on his deal brought for 3.4m, I don't have exact FFP figures for him as I didn't know the length of his first contract with us but it will be a negligible amount of amortisation left

Carlos - 31 in the summer, 2 years left on his deal brought for 31m
He is amortizing at 7.75m per year and his book value in the summer will be 15.5m

Digne - 31in the summer, 2 years left on his deal, brought for 30m.
He is amortizing at 6.66m per year and has a book value of 13.33m

Cash - 27 in the summer, 3 years left on his deal, brought for 15.75m
He is amortizing at 1.58m per year and has a book value of 4.74m

Dendonker - 29 in the summer, 2 years left on his deal, brought for 15m
He is amortizing at 3.75m per year and has a book value of 7.5m

Sanson - 30 in the summer, 1 year left on his deal, brought for 15.8 million euros
He is amortizing at 3.95m per year as he only has one year left on his deal his book value is also 3.95m

Coutinho - 32 in the summer, 2 years left on his deal, brought for 20 million euros
He is amortizing at 5m per year and has a book value of 10m

The total amortization per year of all the players mentioned is 28.69m Euros which is 24.61m Pounds
The total book value of all the players mentioned is 55.02m Euros which is 47.19m Pounds

My aim will be to cut the fat off the squad and then trying to bring in a smaller amount higher quality players as a whole without breaking FFP restrictions and reducing the wage bill as PSR (profit and sustainability rules) is changing meaning we have to bring our wage bill down to 70% of our revenue within a couple of years.

So in short IF you can sell/release all those players and receive 47.2m for them we don't make an FFP loss on their book value and we don't have to amortised 24.6m on next years accounts for owning them

So moving on to incomings.

The price tags for my suggestions are from media reported figures
The links are for their transfermarkt profile and their scouting report from FBREF for their data.

Jean-Clair Todibo, 24 - Centre back,  Nice, 35m

I want this player as he is a lot like Pau Torres and we have all seen how much we missed him whilst he was injured taking the ball out of defence and his skill with progressive passes. He will be genuine competition for Konsa and will probably win out in that race.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jean-clair-todibo/profil/spieler/605184
https://fbref.com/en/players/88f130ed/scout/365_m1/Jean-Clair-Todibo-Scouting-Report

Adrien Truffert, 22 - Left back, Rennes, 20m

I think this guy is already as good as what we already have but he has a high ceiling and time on his side to reach that potential. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adrien-truffert/profil/spieler/654539
https://fbref.com/en/players/5d0e0a1f/scout/365_m1/Adrien-Truffert-Scouting-Report

Lutsharel Geertruida, 24 in the summer, Right back, can play centre back too, Feyenoord, 30m

Very good passer and more of a defensive right back, fairly tall for a full back these days too.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lutsharel-geertruida/profil/spieler/420210

https://fbref.com/en/players/242e1043/scout/365_m2/Lutsharel-Geertruida-Scouting-Report#all_scout_summary

Mats Wieffer 24, - Defensive Midfield, Feyenoord, 25m

Stats are off the charts, nice and tall too for all you heighists out there.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mats-wieffer/profil/spieler/415381
https://fbref.com/en/players/4876c9ab/scout/365_m2/Mats-Wieffer-Scouting-Report

Maxence Caqueret - Central Midfield but very similar to Luiz, 24, Lyon, 25m

Great in tight spaces again off the chart stats.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxence-caqueret/profil/spieler/395237

https://fbref.com/en/players/f81ef10d/scout/365_m1/Maxence-Caqueret-Scouting-Report

Jonathan David, 24 - Striker, Lille, 25m (1 year left on contract)

I picked him as he should be relatively straight forward for us to pick up, he plays somewhat similarly to Watkins but he is not a carbon copy. His record last year was excellent and his data for this year is very good. If he had more shooting opportunities then his numbers would be much higher. He is the second highest scorer in Ligue 1 and doesn't get many shooting opportunities because of the team he plays for, you will get a peek at him in our next conference league game.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jonathan-david/profil/spieler/533738
https://fbref.com/en/players/ce50fd99/scout/365_m1/Jonathan-David-Scouting-Report

So according to the figures I have used for purchasing these players that is 160m Pounds, NOW is the time to invest.

I can't know if we could get them to sign a 5 year or 4 year contract so I am going to list both and it would probably be somewhere in between.

So the 160m amortized over 5 years would be 32m per year or over 4 years it would be 40m

As the suggested sales/released are amortizing at 24.6m Pounds my suggestions increase amortization by 7.4m to 15.4m per year over what it is currently. Which is why I have taken Watkins off the sale list even though I feel now is the time to sell. I have been led to believe our three year FFP loss is 90m currently after all the deductions so with increased revenue and the wages of the departing players as far as I know that shopping list is affordable.

I think those players would effectively lock off all the positions throughout the team other than our wide midfielders (the Ramsey/McGinn roles). It also brings down the age of the squad significantly, the players are signed for 'modest fees'  so we have better prospects of FFP profits moving forward with the squad

I have also currently left off Tielemans, when signing those two central midfielders he becomes a very high wage luxury player. If you binned him off for 20m you get to save about 7m a year in wages and make an FFP profit off my suggestions, whilst keeping Watkins and having more REAL options all over the pitch. 

How Coutinho has 2 years left on his contract is fkin criminal!!

• Like 4

Am I right in thinking if we sold Cash for say 25m this summer he’d be an FFP profit of 20m, based on his 5m book value?

If that’s the case then that’s a no brainer for me.

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Am I right in thinking if we sold Cash for say 25m this summer he’d be an FFP profit of 20m, based on his 5m book value?

If that’s the case then that’s a no brainer for me.

If someone paid 25m for cash they definitely would have no brains alright 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

We can argue the price but the point being if it’s anything higher than 5m he’d be contributing positively to our FFP figures. 

Even if we got 15m for him that’s still 10m. 

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

It wouldn't even make the top 50 worst Premier League transfers ever

• Like 2

Â