Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Can't see any senior players leaving now which is brilliant.

You don't get to CL and suddenly start moving out regulars and replace them with kids e.g. Luiz out and 19 year old CM coming in would just send out the wrong signals in the short term.

What we do have now is the opportunity to cleanse the squad of the fringe players who are barely playing now so won't be around for CL.

Sanson already off the books and you can add Chambers, Lenglet, Zaniolo, Donk, Tim to that.

I guess the one who's seemed set to leave would be Digne but if possible I'd keep him around for one more season given his vast top level experience and I get the feeling we've already seen the best of Moreno so he's one of the bigger names I'd be looking to move on if there's a taker.

Cash will probably be vulnerable aswell as we'll be seeing plenty of Konsa at RB in the CL with some of the left sided players we'll be facing.

We're in that nice position now of only needing to add 2-3 players every summer window so hopefully they'll be high quality in the positions we need them in. Also Buendia, Mings and Ramsey hopefully being fit in August gives us nice rotation options for league games straight after CL next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

I've been thinking, considering they need to sell homegrown for FFP this summer, and IF he can prove his fitness (and some players just need a change of club for such fortunes to change), would a cheeky move for Reece James be worth a punt?

Chelsea fans would go into full riot mode if they ever sold him, he's the last player they'd let leave and he's actually their captain when fit I think so 0%.

Have to think though we'd have a decent chance of signing Conor Gallagher if he became available and Unai felt he could improve parts of his game.

He's still very young with plenty of top level experience and a McGinn clone pretty much so we could do worse looking for a 30-40m additional player for central midfield to keep things ticking over before Kamara is fit again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder how many verbal agreements we have with players based on us reaching the CL. Bet it’s a fair few. That’s not to say the clubs will accept bids or anything will materialise but you can guarantee a fair few players and agents were waiting on our final league position. 

Hermoso is one I reckon given the strong links over last few weeks. I can see that being announced once the Spanish season is over.

Free transfers tend to be announced pretty early on, Kamara was announced about a week after the 2022 season finished IIRC.

• Like 1

How does the ffp work now? Haven’t really looked in to it really. Does anyone know how much we can spend without selling?

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea fans would go into full riot mode if they ever sold him, he's the last player they'd let leave and he's actually their captain when fit I think so 0%.

Isn't that what they said about Mason 'Mr Chelsea' Mount as well? They let him go on a free

(Not that I think James would be a good signing. Too injury prone)

Qualifying for the CL was always going to be so much more important than winning the third-rate European tournament playing teams some of us had never even heard of before.

Champions League is the platform we can build on and help us win better trophies, because we'll be able to sign and retain elite players now who will keep propelling us upward. 

As of tonight, we have a power and leverage that we haven't enjoyed in decades. This is a massive turning point for Aston Villa Football Club!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rumour mills will link us to all sorts now so we'll see every name under the sun this summer. Hopefully the club keep doing their business quietly and competently.

They even have us bringing back a player from Saudi in tomorrows page.  Might need a serious cut to his current wages 😅

4 hours ago, bose said:

How does the ffp work now? Haven’t really looked in to it really. Does anyone know how much we can spend without selling?

I don't think anyone outside of the club really knows.

From what was published, we basically broke even 2 years ago and "lost" $100m last year, which on the surface means we'd have to break even again because it works on a 3 year calculation.

But there are loads of factors we don't have the details on. We invested heavily in the academy and women's team, which I believe were on the books but are excluded from FFP.

I think Duran was 1 month too old to be an academy signing but I think Nedeljkovic will count as a club trained player, so not sure if that fee will count even though it'll be on the books. 

On the flip side, our wage to turnover ratio was way above what UEFAs rules will allow next year, so talk of selling one big player and signing a bunch of expensive signings and it being covered by amortization or whatever is nonsense. We've increased turnover a lot already, but the reason we went for guys like Rogers and Souza is because we need squad guys on lower wages. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

The rumour mills will link us to all sorts now so we'll see every name under the sun this summer. Hopefully the club keep doing their business quietly and competently.

They even have us bringing back a player from Saudi in tomorrows page.  Might need a serious cut to his current wages 😅

Gabri Veiga; rumour from givemesport.com, so not very reliable. And according to givemesport.com he is more likely to sign for Atletico Madrid.

They have an other rumour on their website, that we are after left back Bradley Locko. I’m considering if having “Locko” on the back of my shirt would be nice.

If we can get that attacking Right Back, add Hermoso who can play LCB and Central CB go after another Central DM so we have competition and cover for Kamara. Then add another attacker a right footed winger. I think we will need to adapt our style again next season I'd expect to be less predictable in our width with a winger in LM in many games ahead of a LCB

• Like 1

The only first team player I could see leaving is Douglas Luiz, but only to another CL club for silly money.

I can’t see us looking to move him on, but if Arsenal offered the same that they paid for Declan Rice, we would probably consider it.

12 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

I've been thinking, considering they need to sell homegrown for FFP this summer, and IF he can prove his fitness (and some players just need a change of club for such fortunes to change), would a cheeky move for Reece James be worth a punt?

At this point, how do you suppose Reece “0 days since last injury” James can prove his fitness? Talent is there, obviously, but useless if he can’t ever make the pitch 

• Like 1

Will we go into next season with Duran and Watkins? Still seems risky but Duran is going to want games next season after those two goal heroics v Liverpool 

This squad beat Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and sat comfortably 2-4th in the Premier League until injuries took hold. This was all despite missing our leader at the back and best creative player.

I don't think wholesale changes are needed, just need an upgrade at RB / RWB when playing in a 3 and a genuine DM backup to Kamara who unfortunately does get injured regularly.

7 hours ago, bose said:

Think it was roughly 30 mil in room prior to amortisation so like 150 mil - salaries.

Im not sure if UCL changes the calculus. Obviously selling other players also changes it. Moving on the Donk and Cash would probably do a lot for us salary wise especially if we can get around 30 odd mil for them combined. 

30 minutes ago, supermon said:

Will we go into next season with Duran and Watkins? Still seems risky but Duran is going to want games next season after those two goal heroics v Liverpool 

Well we will be bringing back archer.

But yes I think so. Duran needs to get like 15 starts in all comps next year and Watkins can't play 4k minutes again. Is there even a realistic target of a striker to sign who'd be happy sitting on the bench for 35 games and is enough of an upgrade on Duran anyway to justify the expense? I don't think so.

8 hours ago, bose said:

Sky 6 buy who they want. Everyone else forcibly restrained from competing with them. 

• Haha 1

Â