Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Absolutely. He'd only make sense if we qualify for the CL.

Yeah and vice-versa - he'll only be wanting to go to a CL club, you'd think. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think the young Eastern European right - back who we have signed might just be our regular full - back next season. This coaching team seem to have the right judgement when it comes to new signings. 

I reckon he might be back up if we sell Cash and then we'll sign someone at their peak but we'll see!

2 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

I absolutely see what you're saying, but have doubts about the ability to convert to CL.

Bouba is our only midfielder with some CL/EL experience, the others do not and have played mainly in England. Imagine this:

Santiago Bernabeu, Wednesday night, 80'000 fans, atmosphere is hostile. 5th minute Bellingham through ball to Vinicius who ghosts past Cash and get's a shot on target saved by Emi.

Do you see any of our midfielders stepping up and taking control of the situation? Personally, I think they'd go missing. Deer in headlights scenario. I trust them in the prem, but we've seen what it's like vs Lille and Legia. Olympiakos away will be more of the same imo.

I think we need an CL-experienced CM/DM for these scenarios.

Henderson?

:P

3 minutes ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

Who would we sell / let go to free up space in the squad? 

In priority order probably...

Chambers, Olsen, Donk, Cash (replace), Lenglet (replace), Kesler maybe (though ive always liked him)

I'd keep Tim for another season. 

Digne, Olsen, Lenglet, Hause, Chambers, Donk, Zaniolo, Sanson, Coutinho.

maybe Cash.

The Villa podcast were talking about upgrading both our full-backs, in that both need upgraded to the level of the rest of the team if we are to go above the level we are currently at.  Nothing against Cash or Digne, but if they were upgraded to players that contributed more goals and assists, we'd move up another level entirely.

Alan Varela and Exequiel Palacios are DMs we have been linked with and probably scouted quite extensively…

I wonder if we will increase the physicality of our side and add more defensive nous…

Edited by Jas10

31 minutes ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

I reckon he might be back up if we sell Cash and then we'll sign someone at their peak but we'll see!

If we were forced to sell a couple of players, I honestly think Cash would be at the front of my mind, along with Digne (wages), Tim and maybe Duran, although, I'm very impressed with his enthusiasm and commitment when on the pitch. He has that precious habit of making something happen from seemingly nothing, The Cash goal against Lille was caused by his threatening presence and that's a quality we're not exactly spoiled with.

Edited by sheepyvillian

I think this season has shown that this team and manager are of a great standard, and with so many useful players to return that have missed out for much of the year it's not like there's a huge amount that can or needs to be done to realistically improve the squad.

I agree re: both full back positions though, for differing reasons. Right back is an obvious one for me, Konsa has been quality as always but is better at CB, and while I like Cash and don't want to be seen to be harsh on him I think he's just a good, traditional right back which this team doesn't really use. So while he's done well at times he's equally not naturally suited to the more defensive position and he's not really the kind of wing back that can beat his man and be a consistent danger going forward, but if he went to say a West Ham or Fulham where he'd play as more of a standard right back I think he'd be a big success.

Bologna are almost like the Serie A version of Villa this season, not sure how likely of a signing he'd be but from what I've seen their right back Stefan Posch could be a great fit for the system. He was originally a CB that's gone to another level after changing position and been a big player for them in the process. For the FBRef fans among us he puts up some of the best numbers in Europe for his passing and number of touches per game, plus solid defensive ones. Only 26 and fairly tall which would help also aid the situation when it comes to defending set-pieces. Have seen the odd Bologna game this season and just think he looks a great fit for that role, which would then allow Konsa to play in his preferred position a bit more often too.

On the opposite flank, both Digne and Moreno have been brilliant at different times over the last couple of seasons, but it just feels like a position that needs freshening up given their respective ages and contract situations. If Ipswich don't go up I still think we should be all over Leif Davis, he's put up ridiculous numbers this season and would be perfect in that attacking full back role. Would also add to the homegrown number - which the club are apparently quite conscious of - and as far as I know doesn't have a huge amount of time left on his contract. Obviously would hinge a lot on Ipswich not getting promoted, and there'll likely be big competition for him, but the more the season has gone on the more he looks like a great fit for this team.

Last position I think definitely needs to be addressed is DM, be that cover for Kamara or someone that can also play with him when he's back. As well as the team has done in his absence he's the only player of his profile in the squad so we could do with that being given a bit of balance. Unless Iroegbunam manages to cement himself as this, but not sure that looks too likely at this moment unfortunately.

Can also see the club really pushing for Hermoso on a free, feels like the kind of signing current Villa would make and he'd be a pretty useful and versatile Lenglet replacement given he could also play at left back.

A nice to have for me is someone to really own that second striker role, would be expensive but someone like Pedro Goncalves from Sporting (who we are regularly linked with). 

atm feels a bit like we are shoehorning wingers in there and a different option could add some value. 

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The Villa podcast were talking about upgrading both our full-backs, in that both need upgraded to the level of the rest of the team if we are to go above the level we are currently at.  Nothing against Cash or Digne, but if they were upgraded to players that contributed more goals and assists, we'd move up another level entirely.

I agree mostly...the problem is we bought two 30yo LBs, both of which were in great form not long ago. It looked like we needed a new RB, sure, but were set at LB for a couple years, with the competition from Moreno really pushing Digne to a new level....

6 months on, neither LB is really at the level and we still need a RB.

I also don't think Unai will want both Fullbacks scoring and assisting freely as we'll be open on the counter. Interesting to see how we react

With regards to spending, we know this year will be tight again but will we have more freedom to spend as we move into July?

I imagine thats when we will account for Betano/Adidas plus any UCL revenue so is it just a case of surviving 23/24?

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I agree mostly...the problem is we bought two 30yo LBs, both of which were in great form not long ago. It looked like we needed a new RB, sure, but were set at LB for a couple years, with the competition from Moreno really pushing Digne to a new level....

6 months on, neither LB is really at the level and we still need a RB.

I also don't think Unai will want both Fullbacks scoring and assisting freely as we'll be open on the counter. Interesting to see how we react

Maybe not both, but he does like the LB to push high like a winger.  a player doing that should be contributing more in the attacking phase.  Also, not saying they both need replaced in the summer, but in the next 3 windows maybe.

• Like 1

I'd go for Tosin from Fulham and Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth.

Both available on free's in the summer and good for english quota.

There is also Osho from Luton on a free but would be a big step up for him and Luton leak goals for fun he has also scored quite a few OG's this season.

Lloyd Kelly can play CB and LB the alternative is obvious Hermoso from Atletico that can also do that. 

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'd go for Tosin from Fulham and Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth.

Both available on free's in the summer and good for english quota.

There is also Osho from Luton on a free but would be a big step up for him and Luton leak goals for fun he has also scored quite a few OG's this season.

Lloyd Kelly can play CB and LB the alternative is obvious Hermoso from Atletico that can also do that. 

Would love Tosin, but I can't see us spending on a CB (I know he's free, but because of that & his homegrown status, Newcastle, Spurs & United at least are all in for him too, so wages & fees will be high).

We'll have Konsa, Pau, Mings and Carlos next season. Unless somebody is sold, I doubt we'll sign one as we're already spending a lot on our CB wages. Konsa probably our best but probably cheapest weekly too.

I think we'll buy a RB and see Konsa at CB again rather than replace Lenglet with a CB. Unless Carlos gets sold, or Mings is miles off it perhaps?

Edited by HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, MSvillain said:

A nice to have for me is someone to really own that second striker role, would be expensive but someone like Pedro Goncalves from Sporting (who we are regularly linked with). 

atm feels a bit like we are shoehorning wingers in there and a different option could add some value. 

I reckon we can develop Rogers into that role FWIW

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

I absolutely see what you're saying, but have doubts about the ability to convert to CL.

Bouba is our only midfielder with some CL/EL experience, the others do not and have played mainly in England. Imagine this:

Santiago Bernabeu, Wednesday night, 80'000 fans, atmosphere is hostile. 5th minute Bellingham through ball to Vinicius who ghosts past Cash and get's a shot on target saved by Emi.

Do you see any of our midfielders stepping up and taking control of the situation? Personally, I think they'd go missing. Deer in headlights scenario. I trust them in the prem, but we've seen what it's like vs Lille and Legia. Olympiakos away will be more of the same imo.

I think we need an CL-experienced CM/DM for these scenarios.

Tielemans has nearly 80 appearances in Europe

Â