Match Thread: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Where has our intensity gone? I’m not sure we’ve ever recovered from choking against Sheff United and missing the chance to be top at Christmas.

I know we’re missing one or two but this looks to be a team issue at the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, pregra said:

Diaby has been absolute dross bar a couple of games early on, but why isn’t Unai trying to use his speed on the wing when things clearly isn’t working? He is fast and not a particularly good player in tight areas

also, has anyone seen Watkins since the Brentford game?

As I said earlier Watkins is simply waiting for the perfect ball which in all honestly is never likely to materialise going by recent form. Need to learn to adapt!

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

funny how it all started going downhilll when we had that "chance to go top", then we missed it, had another chance, missed it, then another and missed it, and we have dropped off ever since.

I wonder if part of it is some of the players are putting too much pressure on myself, whenever i see McGinn come out and talk about CL and top 4 and pushing for it, i expect it to go to sh*t, as it seems we panic.

We did similar under Gerrard, McGinn comes out talking about Europe and we go to sh*t.

tbh, i would prefer us to just not talk and do our talking on the pitch.

I think it’s a combination of our players heaping pressure on ourselves and maybe our own fans? I understand why us as fans want some more recognition etc but I always think whenever we do get that spotlight we go to shit a bit. Hopefully we can come back and win this.

I don't get why we've suddenly started to play so slowly? 

It can't be fatigue or fitness. They are professional athletes. 

Just seems something has changed in the way we approach games. 

Tonight it seems to pass around at the back, then hoof it into midfield where they've won every header. 

What is annoying me, is when you press their back line, they give it away. Every time. Yet we do it once then don't do it again. 

I'm confused at the moment with what we are setting out to do each game. 

Tielemans had the one bit of sharp forward play putting Diaby in, who bizarrely decided to pull back across to waste chance. Feel like at start of season he would've shot there, confidence low

• Like 1

You know Unia wishes he could sub at least 6-8 players.

That was not just a bad half, it was unacceptable. Uncompetitive, lacking energy, movement. It's not how an I ai home team plays

Luiz better stop sex before games as he's gone shit since he got back with Aleisha. Kamara is suffering from being a new dad so, you know, could have been given extra time for someone who played well before against Newcastle like, erm, Dendoncker... Oh wait. We miss Pau hugely, it's beyond a joke. He's that good. Konsa needs a proper partner beside him. Christ Diaby is shot. Really shot. He bottled a chance he'd have fully put his laces through and put us 1 up but didn't. The lad will come good but for some reason he's not settled. The buzz of new club it seems has been replaced with new city sickness. It happens. I've had it when moved.

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

We're toast and fill finish 6th or 7th. Can't score, can't defend and losing to these evil rocket polishers is the pits. God I despise every single person associated with Newcastle. Hope all their fans die in agony

Bloody good job we picked up the 43 points when we did. Since the Everton game I predicted we’d lose 5 games and finish on 69 points. But seeing how we are playing.. might need to lower it. 

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We can still win this, they've played well but had a bit of luck with how the ball broke for them. We've made some bad decisions when it really mattered up the other end.

Now we're attacking the holte and we can do this lot.

Hoping for reverse of Wolves game that got Smith the sack

Just now, Rodders said:

We're toast and fill finish 6th or 7th. Can't score, can't defend and losing to these evil rocket polishers is the pits. God I despise every single person associated with Newcastle. Hope all their fans die in agony

No chance we finish that high. Apart from Forest at home, I cant see any other wins for the next two months. Go all in for the conference, top 6 aint happening

• Haha 1

2nd half vs. Chelsea and having a 2 week break made me think our minds would be focused tonight on really going at these lot tonight, but we just look lethargic and out of ideas already. Wrong line up evidently. Bailey really should be starting, he can beat a man and make things happen. Diaby has been devoid of confidence for months now and it doesnt look like subsiding. Unbelievable home run looks like its coming to an end ffs

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

It shouldn’t get to that though? Yet again I think Lenglet is having a decent outing.

Disagree. He’s been poor on and off the ball. How many times have he just aimlessly pumped the ball down the pitch? 

Just now, UpTheVilla26 said:

I don't get why we've suddenly started to play so slowly? 

It can't be fatigue or fitness. They are professional athletes. 

Just seems something has changed in the way we approach games. 

Tonight it seems to pass around at the back, then hoof it into midfield where they've won every header. 

What is annoying me, is when you press their back line, they give it away. Every time. Yet we do it once then don't do it again. 

I'm confused at the moment with what we are setting out to do each game. 

Indeed. Everyone slating the front lot ignoring the fact Luiz and Kamara have spent the past months passing 5 yards and moaning.

• Like 1