Your Villa confessions

NurembergVillan

Listened to this earlier, as entertaining as the previous episode (same topic) 👍

I believed we’d signed “our Batistuta” when we got JPA and that he’d tear up the league season after season and fire us into  the higher league positions… that it’d bring about the start of a “special period” for the club… and we’d build a side full of superstars 😂

Thought Alan Thompson would score screamers for us, as he seemed to do fairly regularly for Bolton, but… he was a bit shit really…

Believed Ginola was going to be much better than he turned out to be…

That we may win the league under JG and not fall away so badly…

That O’Leary would be good for us and do similar to what he managed at Leeds… nope

Horrified and alarmed at the signings under Lambert from the off (Bowery, Bennett, Westwood etc.) and knew we were staring at and stuck with relegation battles and shite football… when other fans urged me to “believe”…

Thought N’zogbia would be good…. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thought we’d be coming straight back up with the money splashed on signings by Xia (who I never suspected as a fraud) and under Di Matteo… that Gollini would be class… 

That El Ghazi would be much better and score the sorts of crazy goals he did at Ajax…

That Grealish wouldn’t leave and wouldn’t stab us in the back 🤦‍♂️😂 (and that he never pushed for a move beforehand 🙄)

Berty to just get better and better after an impressive debut season…

Buendia and Bailey would be amazing straight away…

Hated Gerrard early on and disliked the appointment… desperate for it to end…

Expected Martinez to be an amazing signing… after seeing him shine in lockdown for Arsenal and lead them to two trophies…

I’m sure there’s plenty more but I’ll leave it there for now 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Agree with the John Gregory one. He did get to spend a lot and he did under achieve.

I do have a few confessions but, would need more anonymity to post them!

I don’t really agree with the Gregory one… I think that point is much more applicable to MON actually… he spent and wasted a lot and kept sticking with the same players and sidelining and ignoring the rest, if not treating them like shit. Bought some proper dross too… too much power.

MON was a horrible guy as well… petulant and stubborn… JG just loved the club and wanted us to fly high…

JG was so passionate and invested and, unlike Doug, he wasn’t complacent… a bit more support could have pushed us to another level or two and we could have achieved something to be proud of…

I won’t criticise John… always admired him… considering where he was plucked from (he never expected to get the job nor had an ego coming into it) and his lack of top level experience… I think he did a great job… he could’ve achieved more if not for Doug imo…

I know this is one I’ll have to agreed to disagree on, with many… but I’m unlikely to change that stance…

• Like 3

If you look at our spending 1998-2002, we were a top spending club. Cheque book was out. But we didn't replicate what Ron Atkinson or Brian Little had done. Steve Stone, Alan Thompson, Steve Watson, Bosko Balaban- - the guts of £20m on those four!

O'Leary is despised but he came along in 2003-2004 and got us back to 6th after spending £6m on McCann, Sorenson and Solano.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If you look at our spending 1998-2002, we were a top spending club. Cheque book was out. But we didn't replicate what Ron Atkinson or Brian Little had done. Steve Stone, Alan Thompson, Steve Watson, Boston Balaban- - the guts of £20m on those four!

O'Leary is despised but he came along in 2003-2004 and got us back to 6th after spending £6m on McCann, Sorenson and Solano.

I don’t deny that mistakes were made (maybe we couldn’t go for priority targets either… worth considering… I would have loved Juninho to join, Carbone to stay and a few more of those River Plate players 😆 just imagine if we managed to sign Vieri! 😱)  but… it’s hard to find any manager with a faultless record…

I guess I can just say that I enjoyed the JG days and was really invested… the shite after MON was difficult to bear and quite depressing… thankfully, NSWE and Deano came along…and now we have the supreme Unai Emery 👑 maybe and hopefully, the best is yet to come - at least for those of us that didn’t witness the past glory days…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Totally agree with the JPA one.  I love the guy, but he gets far more adoration than his performances deserve.

My shameful moment was being so engrossed in a Villa match and continuing to watch it even when learning of a close relatives' death midway through it. 

• Haha 1

I was pissed when we first played Blues in the prem and lost 3-0. I tried to call 'you're on sky sports' and let rip but couldn't dial properly. My next big idea was to burn my shirt in the back garden, my wife told me off and sent me to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I chanted for Paul Lambert at Norwich away

along with the whole away end to be fair

• Like 1

i'd have been happy to have seen dougie luiz sold in each transfer window until emery came in and transformed him

oh and probably a bigger confession that i stand by to this day: whilst ultimately we let him go at the right time, i believe steve bruce did a good job for us overall.

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

I was all in on Martin O'Neill, I believed he was the messiah and the season after season collapses from March always hurt so much. In retrospect though you get to review something without the emotion and while he was clearly a good manager and was effective ultimately we could have done better, if we had a different coach given the money we spent. 

I kind of think now if any decent manager was given the funds he got they would do no worse than he did. I think his failure was he tried to build a squad of players he trusted but kept failing at that we signed a lot of CBs and CMs but never created the squad needed to go the full season.

It's taken a long time to do a real reflection as there were so many great days

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah that's how I remember it, we wanted him (kw) 

Yep I was there doing the same thing, we all wanted him at the time.

39 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

along with the whole away end to be fair

And rightly so at the time. My own is not really caring how we did under McLeish - I wanted him gone so badly. Even the Bolton game didn’t bother me ( sorry my bad ) 

Â