Your Villa confessions

NurembergVillan

9 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

thought,  and still think,  Houllier was a bad appointment

One positive is that he saw through Gobby.

Went up in my opinion for this - along with Roy Keane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought Benteke would go on to dominate European football and be playing regularly in the champions league. 

I thought that Jack would be widely regarded as the best player in the league once he left us and started playing for a team challenging at the top. 

I still to this day think Savo is judged harshly by Villa fans. He seems to have gone down (at least to some people) as a useless flop. He actually had a fairly decent goal record and had a good partnership with Dwight. Obviously the spitting thing was a sad end but he wasn't actually a bad player. I may be looking through slightly rose-tinted glasses as my first season watching Villa was when he joined and the first shirt my parents bought me had Milosevic on the back. 

I think Steve Bruce is also judged too harshly, and frankly I was quite embarrassed to be a Villa fan when everyone was celebrating the cabbage situation. Quite an appalling way to treat a man who had suffered personal losses that year and continued to get on with the job. People forgot he was 90 mins away from taking us up. (Although I will agree the style of play was utter garbage, but he could get results at championship level). 

I was at Ezri Konsa's "debut" for us ... a pre-season friendly away against Charlton, and I thought he looked useless. How wrong I was! 

37 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

I thought Benteke would go on to dominate European football and be playing regularly in the champions league. 

I thought that Jack would be widely regarded as the best player in the league once he left us and started playing for a team challenging at the top. 

I still to this day think Savo is judged harshly by Villa fans. He seems to have gone down (at least to some people) as a useless flop. He actually had a fairly decent goal record and had a good partnership with Dwight. Obviously the spitting thing was a sad end but he wasn't actually a bad player. I may be looking through slightly rose-tinted glasses as my first season watching Villa was when he joined and the first shirt my parents bought me had Milosevic on the back. 

I think Steve Bruce is also judged too harshly, and frankly I was quite embarrassed to be a Villa fan when everyone was celebrating the cabbage situation. Quite an appalling way to treat a man who had suffered personal losses that year and continued to get on with the job. People forgot he was 90 mins away from taking us up. (Although I will agree the style of play was utter garbage, but he could get results at championship level). 

I was at Ezri Konsa's "debut" for us ... a pre-season friendly away against Charlton, and I thought he looked useless. How wrong I was! 

I Think Savo is more harshly judged outside Villa than here. He gets labelled a flop sometimes externally but rarely from Villa fans

• Like 4

I’ve been to about 70 Brentford games since I last went to Villa Park (in 2013). I’ve also been to Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham multiple times during that period and only one of those was to see Villa. 
I really need to sort that out. 

10 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

think Steve Bruce is also judged too harshly, and frankly I was quite embarrassed to be a Villa fan when everyone was celebrating the cabbage situation. Quite an appalling way to treat a man who had suffered personal losses that year and continued to get on with the job. People forgot he was 90 mins away from taking us up. (Although I will agree the style of play was utter garbage, but he could get results at championship level). 

I don’t think you will find an awful lot of sympathy for Bruce ( I agree regarding the cabbage incident and I also agree in relation to his personal circumstances ) but let’s have it right - The guy is a footballing fraudster imo. Ask Sheff Wednesday fans what they think about him or Baggies fans for this  matter - He thinks only of himself and nothing more.

Not that we have much empathy for Newcastle - but ask toon fans, what they think about him - plus the  huge settlement there or thereabouts that he  is reported to have received following his dismissal .

I don’t believe there is room for personal abuse, but Bruce is frankly one of the last people in football that I feel sympathy for.

1. Was sitting next to Lee Hendrie and his family in McDonalds Solihull and my son, who was a toddler at the time, was sick right next to them. Went absolutely everywhere.

2. The best Villa atmosphere I've ever been part of was the 93-94 semi final against Tranmere. Went with my Dad and his mates, I was 12. I'm not old enough to have gone to the early 80's games when we were the muts nuts, but I've never been to a game since and the atmosphere was better.

I had a period were i didn't find any joy in watching Villa, because 2 of the strikers I hated most was playing for us, Carew and Heskey. Eventually I started to like Carew, but Heskey never had a chance

On 28/01/2024 at 11:00, Jas10 said:

Steve Hollis was a dumbass for selling the club to Xia…

Wow that is a deepcut. He genuinely sounded enthusiastic about Dr Tony which suggested he was either a grade-one bullshitter, or completely naive.

16 hours ago, choffer said:

I’ve been to about 70 Brentford games since I last went to Villa Park (in 2013). I’ve also been to Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham multiple times during that period and only one of those was to see Villa. 
I really need to sort that out. 

😉

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I rate him but I don't rate Luiz as much as people seem to and wouldn't be bothered if we sold him really.

I always feel a bit sorry for managers when they get the sack no matter who they are or how shit they were

I wish they'd stop playing that god awful Crazy Train song before home games!

I don't care if he is a Villa fan, Prince William can get **** 

Villa never win when I bet on them to win so I either bet on them to lose or don't bet on them at all

I was against the appointment of Emery when he was first rumored to be in contention with the job (Glad I was so wrong about it)

I think our season is going to peter out and we will end finishing about where we did last season and I would be fine with that

On 28/01/2024 at 11:16, Captain_Townsend said:

A lot of revisionism here with Houllier. I simply cannot let it stand.

We played Newcastle on 10 April 2011. It was our 31st game and we were on 34 points. It was basically a must win game. Remember that  effort to make an official remake of "Bells are Ringing" was the week before that game because our survival was at stake. That was our first flirt with relegation since Ellis was owner in 2006 and, I think, it eroded a lot of confidence at the club

That was a horrible season. He upended the whole team, he rubbed the fans up the wrong way, especially at Anfield, and after 3 consecutive top 6 finishes, and spending a club record fee on Darren Bent, it wasn't good enough. I concede we finished very strongly in the final 7 games. But then Downing and Young were sold of course.

For me, that was the year the rot really set in.

If anything I think Houllier is under-appreciated. Perhaps attitudes have softened to him since a bit but definitely at the time I felt he was treated rather harshly.

To be fair the decline started before he came in. O'Neill wasting a summer and then walking out in a tantrum just before the start of the season when things really started to go down hill, and we all know that he always leaves clubs in a mess. We certainly wouldn't have been seriously challenging for the top 4 again regardless of who came in, especially after Milner left. Add to that we had a huge injury crisis that season which basically makes this season look like nothing.

To be fair to Houllier he did genuinely try and modernise the club, both in terms of playing style and professionalism, but he got a lot of resistance from certain sections of the squad that preferred O'Neill's old-fashioned ways.

Â