• Tielemans
    • Diaby
    • Watkins
    • Carlos (Cash 82)
    • Zaniolo (Tielemans 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/01/24 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

still a good player...and still learning.

True, it’s just odd he was having a bit of a mare yet the public were being gaslighted that he was amazing.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are confusing the point being made.....this current form, for whatever reason, is not what has got us in to 4th place.

We was playing much, much better, to get us in to that position.

I think the point being made is a concern over current form, and a forum is a good place to air your views, and see what other folk think.

Every Villa fan is "over the moon" with our league position....its the current form that prompts debate.

but i'm not....the statement i was reacting to was ''Well that was a bit rubbish''

which in my view it wasn't

I also get that we are not playing as well as we have been, but our 'current form'' is still very good. We have lost 1 game out of the last 15 in all competitions.

I guess the disappointment comes from drawing matches we would hope to win, Sheff Utd, Everton and capitulating to Man U.

Every team in the league goes through a 'bad' spell where they do not play well, which arguably we are at the moment. The key though is that through that spell is to still pick up results, which we are.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

True, it’s just odd he was having a bit of a mare yet the public were being gaslighted that he was amazing.

Folk see what they see......if a great player, is having a poor game, invariably, the great player bit trumps the bad game.

Its about being honest, and saying what you see.

I thought, he was busy, and looking for opportunities, but his composure was thankfully a bit off....but I do like in general, like his ability to get on the end of things.

7 minutes ago, imavillan said:

but i'm not....the statement i was reacting to was ''Well that was a bit rubbish''

which in my view it wasn't

I also get that we are not playing as well as we have been, but our 'current form'' is still very good. We have lost 1 game out of the last 15 in all competitions.

I guess the disappointment comes from drawing matches we would hope to win, Sheff Utd, Everton and capitulating to Man U.

Every team in the league goes through a 'bad' spell where they do not play well, which arguably we are at the moment. The key though is that through that spell is to still pick up results, which we are.

I think "aspects" of our game was a bit rubbish.....and other asects were not....I guess it depends on which bits folk wnat to focus on.

personally, I think parts of our game, against those teams above, were cause for comparison to the previous games against Man City and Arsenal, where the disparity, was stark.

I accept, if we win every game, we will win the league, and that is simply not going to happen......where the differences of opinion, seem to creep in, is how long will we be in a form dip, and will we rediscover, our earlier season form, in time to have a good season end position in the league.

Thats the key question, I guess.

A draw away at Chelsea is a decent result and on the balance of play a fair one.

Let's hope the club price the replay at Villa Park correctly and learn from the over-priced Everton league cup match so as many can go as is possible...

15 hours ago, Ponky said:

To be honest we could still be playing and Chelsea wouldn't have got the ball in the net, despite literally gifting them three one on ones in the box. Martinez was impenetrable.

Had Doug's goal stood it might have been a completely different outcome, but I think the main thing missing is that little bit of crispness from our mids. Poor first touches leaving to turnovers were the order of the first half. It's impossible to beat a full high press when that happens.

Absolutely this. Chelsea's passing was far crisper. Some of our passing is so slow that the receiver is under severe pressure by the time the ball reaches him.  Then add the often poor first touch by same receiver and we've lost the ball very cheaply.

• Like 2

That was a typical Chelsea performance from this season...  Lots of possession, some nice attacking moves, but poor finishing and a Martinez masterclass performance cost them the game.  I do have to say that they defensively caused us the most frustration of any team we've played in months.  I think Poch's relentless high press of our defenders mixed with tight man-marking of our midfielders didn't allow us any time on the ball in transition until their team was gassed halfway through the second half and couldn't keep up that intensity.  That said, we had a lot of good chances through our set pieces and were unlucky to not score at least one.  I'm hoping our home form helps push us through in the replay, but overall neither team was at their best today. 

i could  not watch this live.  just watched the highlights on the OS.  knowing that the OS would never select highlights that skewed us to look good......  🙃   I am never again following the match thread.  Ya'll are negative, paranoid, or blues trolls.  We were dominant from start to finish.  Yes Emi made one exceptional save and two very good ones.  But so did their keeper.  based on those highlights, I would guess that we won this one 4-1.  MOTM was either Emi or Dougie.  Dougie looked unstoppable and their midfield looked like utter thugs.  So many rash clatterings that rightly played advantage.  (those can still be counted toward a card for persistent infringement.)

didnt watch it live but watched the replay. Thought it was pretty even in the first 15 minutes. then chelsea took control but thought we gained control the last 5 or so mins of 1st half. Tielemans had 2 very good chances in the first half

2nd half I thought we were on top for most of the half. We looked like the team most likely to score. 

Overall thought it was a decent away performance considering chelsea have picked up their form a bit at home.

A decent result, still in the competition. For the majority of the game Chelsea were the dominant team but we battered them for the last quarter. Might have been down to Chelsea playing on Tuesday.  Martinez is world class and I thought Sterling was their best player until he subbed him.  Gallacher and Ferdanez were poor. It is my second visit to Stamford Bridge and in its modern guise it is a odd stadium, It definitely feels a lot smaller and hemmed in than Villa Park.

I must say - that was one of the best Villa away ends I've had the pleasure of standing in for a considerable while while in my opinion. It was non-stop passionate, unconditional support and noise for 90 minutes from the Villa-packed Shed End, it was rocking like we were 5-0 up and it was 0-0! None of the moans and groans that you get at home matches when a Villa player gives the ball away etc. It was almost irrelevant what was happening on the pitch the 6,000 were just going to sing and make noise whatever happened, was great to hear some old songs coming out too. The Chelsea tourists and prawn sandwich eaters in the home end nearest to us were literally gawping at us for most of the game. You can tell by the player's comments (Cash and Emi M) in the post-match interviews and social media posts that they felt it too, McGinn was literally fist-pumping to the away end when we were winning corners and pushing towards the end, it felt like we were going to suck the ball in!

Our away support is usually class, but this was a notch up, maybe it was because of the larger allocation that it was the first many have been able to get tickets to for a while? Or with it being a Friday night and everyone well-oiled? Either way, I would have feared for my personal health if we'd have got a late winner! 😂

Edited by wedge

Â