Weekends Football 18/20 January

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Really? You are allowed to touch the keeper surely? 

Law 12 says that it's a foul if you impede the progress of opponent without contact, 'impeding defined as : 'moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.' 

GK was blocked off the ball.

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Palace really are a nothing of a team. 

They seemed like they had a good set up, signed eze, olise, guehi, mitchell etc then got Vieira in... I thought they were a striker away from being a decebt team, turned out vieira was shit so they reverted to type and went back to being in the happy to be here brigade 

They'll do well to not have those players start making noise this summer 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

One thing that annoys me about the linesman not flagging for offside is that corners are quite often awarded because the flag didnt go up for offside.

In an Arsenal attack a minute ago, there were two pretty blatant offsides in the buildup to a move. The lino let the play go on as per the rules. The Palace defender clears it and it goes out for a corner. If Arsenal had have scored from that corner it would have been incredibly unfair.

I'm sure Liverpool scored from exactly that vs us, anfield last year 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Law 12 says that it's a foul if you impede the progress of opponent without contact, 'impeding defined as : 'moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.' 

GK was blocked off the ball.

Personally I feel like goalkeepers get way too many soft fouls so I’m happy to let that go. White was just jostling in the box the same as any defender. 

We essentially try to get away with the same thing a lot of the time especially with someone blocking off the keeper for Dougie’s olimpico. 

Pretty sure it happened against Arsenal and went uncalled too. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Graham Potter at the game apparently...

I'm amazed they haven't asked Hodgson to step down and approach Steve Cooper unless he wants to take a few months off.

Vieira was sacked for much less last season.

I wouldnt say that, Palace probably have more points than this stage last season

Club is in a bit of turmoil at moment as CEO looks like leaving and not replacing Zaha

There was one of those a couple of minutes ago where Jesus felt an arm around his waist, took a couple of steps and threw himself to the ground waving his arms like Morrissey in 1983. It's one of those where you wouldn't be massively surprised if VAR had given a penalty for the arm around the waist, but also one of those where Jesus absolutely, definitely should have been booked for the dive regardless.

In the same way that getting the ball first doesn't mean it's not a foul, for me, being fouled doesn't always mean it's not a dive - I'd love to see more refs saying "Yes, that's a foul, but I'm still booking you for the dive, because it's cheating". The Jota one for Liverpool comes to mind especially, because there were ten yards of running between the foul and the dive - it's a foul and a penalty AND it's a dive and a yellow card.

• Like 2

Arsenal have dominated this game in second gear, it's been pretty dull to watch and they're a very comfortable 3-0 up - yet oddly, they've only actually had three shots on target - I wonder if that tells us anything about Arsenal? Probably not.

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt say that, Palace probably have more points than this stage last season

Club is in a bit of turmoil at moment as CEO looks like leaving and not replacing Zaha

Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United: Magpies set club record unbeaten run in draw - BBC Sport

3 points better off so minimal but to me it's just they sacked Vieira when they did without any long term plan whatsoever. Did they even interview any other managers in the summer.

Â