Don_Simon

On 07/01/2024 at 21:56, stewiek2 said:

Oh we're miles ahead of that team. But for the time, it was criminal we didn't win a trophy.

Funnily enough we lost to Everton later that season in FA cup, think it might've been quarter finals but it got lost in the Moscow fallout as we played that just before those games.

Everton had a very decent side in those days...Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini, Pienaar and Osman so they'll be asking the same thing as us.

Were some very good games in those times, the 3-3 at VP later on in the season was a classic aswell.

As for Sunday, we should win but get the feeling if some of these injuries don't clear up we might have to do with a frustrating 1-1. We score early but don't convert more chances and they score off a set piece with 15 minutes left and finish stronger.

With kamara back and being more natural at dropping into a back 3 then i think we should try cash. I'm going to assume that Torres isn't fit enough to start.

Martinez

Cash           Konsa        Lenglet       Moreno

Mcginn       Kamara       Luiz          Ramsey

Bailey         Watkins

Having kamara back really helps other parts of the team. Mcginn can play on the right and then come inside when kamara drops into a 3. Or bailey can stick wide right and mcginn moves higher up behind watkins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

With kamara back and being more natural at dropping into a back 3 then i think we should try cash. I'm going to assume that Torres isn't fit enough to start.

Martinez

Bailey         Watkins

Having kamara back really helps other parts of the team. Mcginn can play on the right and then come inside when kamara drops into a 3. Or bailey can stick wide right and mcginn moves higher up behind watkins. 

We need Pau Torres and Tielemans back so they can replace Lenglet and Ramsey in the team (who is better off the bench at the moment). Hopefully they are back, they were only supposed to be out for a short time so it's taking the p*ss that they are still missing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Funnily enough we lost to Everton later that season in FA cup, think it might've been quarter finals but it got lost in the Moscow fallout as we played that just before those games.

Everton had a very decent side in those days...Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini, Pienaar and Osman so they'll be asking the same thing as us.

Were some very good games in those times, the 3-3 at VP later on in the season was a classic aswell.

As for Sunday, we should win but get the feeling if some of these injuries don't clear up we might have to do with a frustrating 1-1. We score early but don't convert more chances and they score off a set piece with 15 minutes left and finish stronger.

Everton were ok but those names hardly suggest they were amazing - Fellaini being a prime example. I liked Cahill and Arteta was probably their most technical midfielder. The defence was solid but nothing special. They played in the Moyes way as West Ham do, good from set pieces but didn't really play football (much like us under O'Neill).

It was much easier to finish 5th/6th back in those days.

4 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Martinez

Bailey         Watkins

I can see Pau starting. Otherwise this is the team for me. 

8 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Martinez

Bailey         Watkins

I thought Pau was back?  H came on as a sub v Burnley, was rested v Boro so I assume he should be ready for this game now having had plenty of rest?

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Kiss of death. 

We're notorious form restorers. 

That's suggesting, we are easy to play against.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I thought Pau was back?  H came on as a sub v Burnley, was rested v Boro so I assume he should be ready for this game now having had plenty of rest?

I think it was said that he had to come on for Lenglet in the Burnley game because Lenglet had been feeling ill but that Pau was in pain after that appearance so he was being left out of the Boro squad with the hope that he would be fit for Everton. 

12 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Martinez

Bailey         Watkins

Have a feeling Carlos will be in to play against Calvert-Lewin/Beto. Although personally I'd go Konsa. Hopefully Pau is fit too 🤞

Agree with the rest of the team.

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

With Kamara back, I'm more confident about Saturday's game than I was for the three before the tie with Boro. Such is the importance he brings to this side. 

I'm going 3 - 0. Come on me Babbys!

I'm not confident about Sundays game. It's the type of away game we don't perform in. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I'm not confident about Sundays game. It's the type of away game we don't perform in. 

Why, what aspect of it? We regularly did well at Everton with much weaker teams than we have now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Why, what aspect of it? We regularly did well at Everton with much weaker teams than we have now. 

Brentford, Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth. All away games we haven't played well in. Everton are overachieving with their squad and are a tough game in Goodison.

• Like 1