Don_Simon

Very handy DCL getting "sent off", he hadn't scored for twelve games and you know how helpful the Villa usually are to managers/players/teams on a piss-poor run.

• Like 2

On 06/01/2024 at 00:49, rjw63 said:

Very handy DCL getting "sent off", he hadn't scored for twelve games and you know how helpful the Villa usually are to managers/players/teams on a piss-poor run.

That's a fallacy. People only count the hits and ignore the misses

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But off topic but if anyone has Peacock they're showing the 3-2 game at Goodison in full right now. Just started.

Christ how the hell did we not win anything with that side!? That midfield in its plomb would be frightening -

Petrov, Barry, Milner, Sidwell, Young 

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

I don’t know if anyone has ever mentioned the fact that this is the most played top flight fixture. 😀

“Not a lot of people know that!”

it’s status has looked in danger given the form of both sides over recent years but it does look set to continue for a bit longer.

6 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

But off topic but if anyone has Peacock they're showing the 3-2 game at Goodison in full right now. Just started.

Christ how the hell did we not win anything with that side!? That midfield in its plomb would be frightening -

Petrov, Barry, Milner, Sidwell, Young 

Sidwell was bang average lol. 

We had a decent midfield in general but other parts of the team weren't great, Laursen was very good in defence but getting old and injury prone and Davies never lived up to potential, our full backs weren't great. Friedel was a solid goalkeeper but 37/38 when we signed him so not a long term solution. Up front Carew and Gabby was ok but neither even got close to scoring 20 goals a season. And our squad was very weak, no decent options off the bench really. We had a decent team (i.e. first 11), some might even say it was very good, but it wasn't amazing and nowhere near the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal at that time, even Liverpool. But competition was less then that it is now, no strong Newcastle, Spurs or Man City, no outside challenge from a Brighton or West Ham, Everton were our closest challengers to break into the top 4 and they weren't all that. 

We have a better team, squad and manager than we had back then, but because of the extra competition that exists now it is more difficult. However, I'd be much more surprised if this team doesn't win anything and/or make top 4 at least once than the team in 2008. 

13 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Sidwell was bang average lol. 

We had a decent midfield in general but other parts of the team weren't great, Laursen was very good in defence but getting old and injury prone and Davies never lived up to potential, our full backs weren't great. Friedel was a solid goalkeeper but 37/38 when we signed him so not a long term solution. Up front Carew and Gabby was ok but neither even got close to scoring 20 goals a season. And our squad was very weak, no decent options off the bench really. We had a decent team (i.e. first 11), some might even say it was very good, but it wasn't amazing and nowhere near the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal at that time, even Liverpool. But competition was less then that it is now, no strong Newcastle, Spurs or Man City, no outside challenge from a Brighton or West Ham, Everton were our closest challengers to break into the top 4 and they weren't all that. 

We have a better team, squad and manager than we had back then, but because of the extra competition that exists now it is more difficult. However, I'd be much more surprised if this team doesn't win anything and/or make top 4 at least once than the team in 2008. 

Oh we're miles ahead of that team. But for the time, it was criminal we didn't win a trophy.

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Oh we're miles ahead of that team. But for the time, it was criminal we didn't win a trophy.

Maybe. We got to a Carling Cup final in 2010 and lost. Spurs weren't great at that time and won a trophy, even Portsmouth were able to win the FA Cup (both 2008 I think).

21 hours ago, colhint said:

Just been onto the Everton forum. They're just like us. one bloke, talking about mcneils  injury typed angle instead of ankle. Then there was a pun rest 

Was it his right angle, was the pain acute, don't be obtuse etc. 

I laughed because the same would happen here.

Sine of the times 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

I don’t know if anyone has ever mentioned the fact that this is the most played top flight fixture. 😀

“Not a lot of people know that!”

it’s status has looked in danger given the form of both sides over recent years but it does look set to continue for a bit longer.

I think we're a few games ahead now as it seems quite a while since they beat us in the league.