• Moreno (Digne 49)
    • Diaby (Ramsey 77)
    • Zaniolo (Bailey 77)
    • Durán (McGinn 86)
    • Iroegbunam (Dendocker 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/12/23 at 23:59

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

and **** you Kamara for your stupid red card 

The language against one of our own is a little harsh...but I agree with the sentiment. I will cry if that red card leads to the undoing of our season. Or if we miss CL by a point or two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

I thought he was totally garbage in every respect and failed to rally his side like any captain should. Did absolutely nothing right at any point in the game !

He was great up til we got our second goal. Then strangely we totally switched off. I thought that getting to half time at 2 up would help reset. To be fair we started the second half decent but that first goal for Garnacho changed itm we turned to jelly and had a massive brain fart thereafter.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

We didn't have the pieces on the bench to fill the gaps we had on the field - I like Iroegbunam, but he was the only midfielder on the bench and tonight was his first appearance.

True enough, but sometimes a change of names (and energy) is all that's required, not only for the ones coming in/out, but to shake their companions as well. I feel we didn't even try, which is bad considering what we had clearly wasn't working. Also, Diaby should have entered for Ramsey at the 46' minute mark.

It's not losing at United the issue here, but rather the terrible way they went around it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

Can't blame it Ollie. He had no service. We were in our own half almost the entire last 60 minutes.

Yeah but he offered no outlet at all.  He wasn’t to blame for this defeat but he was one of about 7 that were extremely poor after the second goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Way too late, needed changes earlier, everyone could see where that game was going you might as well try and throw some fresh legs on. 

They were all shite when they came on though, not sure bringing them on any earlier would make any difference 

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

The language against one of our own is a little harsh...but I agree with the sentiment. I will cry if that red card leads to the undoing of our season. Or if we miss CL by a point or two.

Agree about the language 

It really was such a stupidly daft **** thing to do though, which I said at the time and I've only gotten angrier about. He's really scuppered our momentum.

In fairness to him, though, we should be stronger. It just a real shame it coincided with the injuries.

He couldn't have picked up a red in a cup game or something, a month or two from now? Eejit.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChesterDad said:

Exactly right - I’m sure most of us were still concerned at 0-2. Never looked comfortable or in charge all game.

I don’t feel it would have made much difference this evening but another striker would be helpful overall please ( Hee Chan ) would be worth a punt imo 

We are looking tired and the break before our next conference game, could not have come at a better time.

In fairness it could have been 0-3 or 1-3, the keeper made a couple of good saves. My concern was the ball movement in the midfield, slow, passing into players under pressure and not recycling the ball quick enough. We turned the ball over far too much and Manure were able to capitalize on it, doesn't matter how bad a team you're playing, you give them enough opportunities they will eventually take them.

I agree with some of the comments, why Emery didn't make changes earlier surprised me.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

You're there insinuating that while we sit third in the league, questions will be asked about the mental strength of Unai Emery. Put the beer down, you've had enough for tonight

I was insulating questions will be asked IF we dot beat Burnley regards our ability to finish in top 6. And I've not touched a drop thanks to a 6 week infection but cheers all the same.

You can see it now, Neville, Jordan and the lot questioning our credentials. I mean we're 3 off top and have Burnley at home next. If we don't win that well you can just see their frothing at the mouth reactions. That's my point, asking is this side got the mentality, has the manager!?

Now read that last sentence in Gary Neville's voice and you get my point.

Edited by stewiek2

14 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I think it's clear Zaniolo is not cut out for this league.  Lacks work ethic.

I can't fault his performance tonight given that he barely played and didn't get much service when he did.

The problem was in back.

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

The worst thing about this result is that it breathes life into those clowns and allows the press to start sucking their cocks again. Really unnecessary. Booooo!

This - and the jizzfest over some spotty faced kid who finally scored a goal 

• Like 4

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Never once felt comfortable being 2 - 0 up, that tells you everything. 

Comfortable at 1 up. 2 up, you're right, as we stopped doing what we did to get 2 up. We stopped playing.

• Like 1

Same as it ever was. It’s written in the stars.  Villa **** up boxing day.  Villa throw it away against United from 2-0 up. Again.  Non-scoring team suddenly look like prime 1970 Brazil.  Non-scoring striker scores against Villa.  It was so obviously going to happen that I even put a bet on Hojland scoring, confident that my worse than dismal betting record would jinx the Bastard.  Looks like I need to buy a lottery ticket.  

That said we got what we deserved today - didn’t play well and probably did not deserve to be 2-0 up from a couple of set pieces. But given that we were why did we not just keep attacking them?  They can’t defend, and we could have buried them.  I said to a United supporting mate at 0-2 that next goal decides it – that if they got it, they would get minimum draw.  He scoffed at the idea.   

I’m guessing a Newcastle style fatigue played a part.  Dougie and McGinn looked sluggish, Ramsey looked half a yard and half a second off the pace, and Dendoncker and Bailey disappeared after half time.  Carlos was a runaway train on acid, a liability, who gifted them a way back into the game.

The Momentum was almost solely with united so I can’t understand why Unai didn’t change thing up sooner.   Ten Hag had obviously put a rocket up them at half time and they were pressing for dear life.  We couldn’t deal with it.  Fresh legs were obviously needed.  I think Unai got it wrong today until it was too late.

I just hope we put 7 past these words removed in the home game.

We are the masters of going 2 up and throwing it away. It must have happened to every Villa manager since Sherwood.

What I will say is that Emery will not let the players heads drop, whereas I’ve seen other Villa teams crumble following a result like this.

Still needs to be backed in January as the squad is not yet strong enough for where we want to get to. The last 2 games have highlighted the huge impact not having Mings and Buendia available is.

It’s not all that concerning given what we rolled out. 

Maybe more emblematic of a lack of depth in key areas (we need another RB for ****’s sake!)

I will say that his insistence on thinking Dendoncker can be the same as Kamara was our main downfall today. 

Â