Atairos - new minority owners of Villa

ender4

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For everyone speculating " new stadium ".

Couldn't " infrastructure" investment just as easily be a grandiose redevelopment of VP and environs?

Or VP 2.0 in the same area as I've seen some of you speculate?

That's precisely what I thought when infrastructure was mentioned...

ATAIROS North Stand for example, to rival the Holte in size but with greater and better facilities. The potential is massive...Villa need not move.

• Like 2

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That's precisely what I thought when infrastructure was mentioned...

ATAIROS North Stand for example, to rival the Holte in size but with greater and better facilities. The potential is massive...Villa need not move.

But we had plans for precisely that in 2022, in fact the new North was going to be bugger in scale than the Holte. So we just woild pause and then 'unpause'? Don't know, think something bigger is planned. Either a move or a full rebuild of Witton and N.S

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

But we had plans for precisely that in 2022, in fact the new North was going to be bugger in scale than the Holte. So we just woild pause and then 'unpause'? Don't know, think something bigger is planned. Either a move or a full rebuild of Witton and N.S

I understand but maybe we paused for the ATAIROS investment and announcement?

31 minutes ago, Dale said:

Bskyb attempted to buy Utd a couple of decades ago. Was blocked by govt

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/apr/09/newsstory.sport8

This is why I think Atairos is the vehicle being used this time.  Atairos aren't directly owned by Comcast (although it is pretty close).  They've also bought VSports rather than Villa (even though VSports own 100% of Villa).  My gut feel is that Atairos and VSports are effectively vehicles that allow this separation of ownership which seems to be a bigger thing in the UK / EU than it is in the USA.  The Atairos deal has already been approved by the EU a few weeks ago - I suspect that had Sky or Comcast bought into Villa direct then it might not have been so straight forward.  The PL won't care (as demonstrated by the failure of their Fit and Proper Owner test when the owners promise to spend enough money) but objections were more likely at government level.  We've cleared that hurdle.

Of course as @OutByEaster? has (correctly) already pointed out - I may be barking up the wrong tree here and Atairos might be acting on their own and might have been targetted by NSWE for their expertise in certain areas.  Even if that is the case then I still think it is a significant development.  NSWE wouldn't need to raise £100m (which in comparison to their overall wealth is a relatively small amount - not insignificant but at the same time not worth giving away 20% of the club just as we've started qualifying for Europe) and I don't think it being a Third Party has any different impact from a FFP perspective (the deal is also with VSports rather than Villa).  So Atairos would have to be offering something that NSWE regarded as worth more than just signing a £100m contract (or a series of contracts).

But there just seem (to me) to be too many dots and too many circumstantial links for it to be coincidental.

Either way my instinct is we're either talking about a very good deal (if just Atairos) or potentially a transformational deal (if there really is something bigger happening behind the scenes).  Both of which are exciting developments. 

• Like 4

I don’t know the shady world of these deals but for me it says a lot to get this type of investor in the top infrastructure owner.

For billionaires it’s easy to buy a load of clubs and call yourself a group. It must be much harder to pick clubs who are prime for development in the right markets with decent infrastructure in place and knit those together to seem attractive to investors.

Or maybe the names of our owners is enough to get other big dogs involved. 

There in it for the long term, experts in marketing, close connections with Heck. This is big news, as big as Emery signing especially for the long term future of us competing at the top of the game and getting more influence over the powers that be (sky)

New ground, not quite yet, we need all our income to go into the team until we , with their help, can increase our income. 

Watch for some land purchases in the area over the next 6-12 months. (From a holding company)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For everyone speculating " new stadium ".

Couldn't " infrastructure" investment just as easily be a grandiose redevelopment of VP and environs?

Not really. NSWE could do that on their own with a loan from a bank rather than giving up (selling) equity in the company they own. The only reason to give up equity is that Atarios are bringing something more to the table than a few hundred million in finance.

• Thanks 2

Genuinely don’t see the appeal of building the Comcast Stadium in some place away from Aston.

Another piece of shit football if it happens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Just wondering what the reaction would be if say Man Utd became part-owned by a company that was seemingly closely linked to Sky.

Oddly, at on time BSkyB owned 11.2% of Manchester United, 9.9% of Manchester City, 8.8% of Leeds United, 4.8% of Sunderland and a chunk of Chelsea - all at the same time - I'm guessing that made the tendering process for TV deals interesting. Also at that time, ITV, through Granada, owned 5% of Arsenal and 9.9% of Liverpool. The 90's were weird.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oddly, at on time BSkyB owned 11.2% of Manchester United, 9.9% of Manchester City, 8.8% of Leeds United, 4.8% of Sunderland and a chunk of Chelsea - all at the same time - I'm guessing that made the tendering process for TV deals interesting. Also at that time, ITV, through Granada, owned 5% of Arsenal and 9.9% of Liverpool. The 90's were weird.

Don’t forget NTL who had shares in us & Toon … that paid for the new Trinity Road stand 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Don’t forget NTL who had shares in us & Toon … that paid for the new Trinity Road stand 

Thank you! I had a memory of a broadcaster owning a bit of us (and Glasgow Rangers?) but the name of them had gone! :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I genuinely did not know that!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I genuinely did not know that!

There were the NTL (whooooo?) investment in clubs like Villa as well.

20 hours ago, allani said:

My gut feel is that this is about Comcast looking to break into the European football market.  If so it is, potentially, absolutely huge.  These guys have serious cash, serious connections and serious ambition.

Comcast's current valuation is $157bn, but it goes bigger than that as Vanguard and BlackRock own around 9.5% each and they're worth a staggering amount. Vanguard is worth $10.1 trillion and BlackRock,  who Vanguard have 8.65% shares in, though worth around the same as Comcast, has assets of $8.1 trillion. An incidentally, Wes has shares in BlackRock and has worked with them and Vanguard in the past.

But Wagner and his depleting portfolio has me rattled...

Mate 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Comcast's current valuation is $157bn, but it goes bigger than that as Vanguard and BlackRock own around 9.5% each and they're worth a staggering amount. Vanguard is worth $10.1 trillion and BlackRock,  who Vanguard have 8.65% shares in, though worth around the same as Comcast, has assets of $8.1 trillion. An incidentally, Wes has shares in BlackRock and has worked with them and Vanguard in the past.

But Wagner and his depleting portfolio has me rattled...

Mate 🤣

These companies provide index funds, and as a result own large proportions of essentially every listed company in America. They have essentially no active involvement in the running of those companies. 

• Like 3

Â