Atairos - new minority owners of Villa

ender4

Thank you guys for your analysis on this statement.  I am very excited now!!

Hoping to hear more from Heck over the summer that will make this deal make sense.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Thank you guys for your analysis on this statement.  I am very excited now!!

Hoping to hear more from Heck over the summer that will make this deal make sense.

Let's hope he clears things up next time

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

Let's hope he clears things up next time

Haha, good point.  We’re going to be even more confused after the next time he says something aren’t we 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We simply don't know yet - we've not been bought by Comcast, we've been bought by a subsidiary fund that Comcast have a very big stake in and helped set up.

it could just be that they want to invest in an industry they know a bit about and see us as a decent bet for a return on that investment - it could be that they've looking to establish a presence in European football and are going to work with the owners to significantly raise our profile, change our financing options and bring the might of their parent company to the club - right now, we don't know - a fund has bought a percentage of V-Sports and the owners are hoping to use that investment to fund infrastructure for the group.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We simply don't know yet - we've not been bought by Comcast, we've been bought by a subsidiary fund that Comcast have a very big stake in and helped set up.

it could just be that they want to invest in an industry they know a bit about and see us as a decent bet for a return on that investment - it could be that they've looking to establish a presence in European football and are going to work with the owners to significantly raise our profile, change our financing options and bring the might of their parent company to the club - right now, we don't know - a fund has bought a percentage of V-Sports and the owners are hoping to use that investment to fund infrastructure for the group.

Agreed.  But Comcast's business history suggests that this isn't about getting a 10% / 20% return on a £100m investment.  Clearly I have no inside information / proof either way - but I reckon they are looking at an absolute minimum of a 3, 4, 5 fold increase in "their" investment.  The connections with Philadelphia make us an ideal option for them and I'm sure that they know Wes and Heck pretty well.

4 minutes ago, allani said:

The connections with Philadelphia make us an ideal option for them and I'm sure that they know Wes and Heck pretty well.

In terms of connections with Philadelphia, what's the connection you're thinking of?

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of connections with Philadelphia, what's the connection you're thinking of?

https://whyy.org/articles/south-philly-sports-complex-comcast-spectacor-master-plan/

Comcast Spectacor unveils $2.5 billion master plan for South Philly sports complex. Here’s what’s in it

The announcement comes as the Sixers move forward with a proposal to build a downtown basketball arena.

Over the next decade, Comcast Spectacor hopes to reimagine part of the South Philly sports complex into a year-round destination for work and play. Plans call for new retail and restaurants, a music venue and a hotel to start. If the full “dream” is realized, executives will also bring office buildings and new residential housing to the area.

Many of those projects will rise on existing parking lots outside the complex’s stadiums and arenas, including the Wells Fargo Center. The work is set to unfold over multiple phases and is expected to cost $2.5 billion, a price tag that will be shared by a variety of investors.

“It’s really a vision to bring a tentpole project to South Philadelphia and create a working, living neighborhood that is busy morning, noon and night,” said Phil Laws, president of the Wells Fargo Center.

The first phase of the master plan represents a $700 million investment. It’s slated to start “pretty soon” and wrap up by 2028. It begins with upgrades to Xfinity Live! but will also include the construction of a 250-room hotel, a 5,000-6,000-seat concert venue, restaurant and retail spaces, and a new outdoor plaza.

Xfinity Live! will undergo a $12 million renovation more than a decade after it opened where the Spectrum once stood. Construction on the music venue is expected to start next year. The facility, roughly a quarter of the size of the Wells Fargo Center, will welcome up-and-coming and more intimate acts. Work on the hotel will follow.

The second phase of the plan is considered aspirational for now. While Comcast has the right to build everything outlined in the first phase of the project, the company does not currently have the ability to build the 2,100 rental units in the plan It also lacks the development rights to move forward with any projects that would use the parking lots tied to Citizens Bank Park. Every space the plan builds upon will have to be replaced, meaning additional parking garages will need to be built for the full vision to be realized.

Despite the obstacles, Laws is optimistic that everything will fall into place.

“This is a commitment to our part of the sports complex. We will be in the sports complex as we have been for 50 years. I hope to be there another 50 years. We hope to cement that as a unit,” said Laws.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Comcast own the stadium in Phillie (but I don't think this is only about stadium so don't think we should get side-tracked by that) so will have definitely worked with Heck.  I think Atairos are also based there?

8 minutes ago, allani said:

Comcast own the stadium in Phillie (but I don't think this is only about stadium so don't think we should get side-tracked by that) so will have definitely worked with Heck.  I think Atairos are also based there?

Comcast sold the 76'ers in 2011 though and Heck took over in 2014 I think. The stadium ownership gives that possibility I guess. It might also be possible that Michael Angelakis knows Wes Edens through his position on the board at Exxon Mobil through Wes's links to them with Fortress Energy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Sorry, I didn't mean Comcast's connections with Philadelphia, I was meaning how those connections connect them to us - and again, worth noting that we've not partnered with Comcast directly or through the Comcast Spectator company they usually use for this type of sports venture - I'm not sure that means anything in terms of what they want to do, or if it just reflect their junior partner status on this occasion, but I think it's worth noting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

“This deal makes sense, you sock cooker”

That do it for you?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

“This deal makes sense, you sock cooker”

That do it for you?

sorry, off topic.....but that sentence just reminded me of this classic

well worth 5 mins of your life if you've not seen it.....and (again) if you have 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Comcast sold the 76'ers in 2011 though and Heck took over in 2014 I think. The stadium ownership gives that possibility I guess. It might also be possible that Michael Angelakis knows Wes Edens through his position on the board at Exxon Mobil through Wes's links to them with Fortress Energy.

Yeah it was specifically the stadium side of things.  They did some really interesting stuff there in terms of raising revenue that I am sure would have involved Heck (or at least would have brought them into contact).  I am sure that even if there weren't direct connections there will be enough mutual connections that would have made dealing with Villa easier than most other teams - plus the added benefit of us leaping from nowhere to European football.

I know nothing about the investor other than what others have posted , but i cannot imagine it will be anything other than a good thing. Our owners are serious fcuking guys and i think from now on forwards we will mostly see partnerships that benefit us in a 5 or 10 year plan, not just for the present. We are starting to move in different circles now we are a top 6/8 club. If In return for an investment we get access to all of Comcasts companies and cheap cash and expertise  to build infastructure then its a good thing.  

I will also be watching with interest to see if we also negotiate with Birmingham Council to buy some land now they are pretty much bankrupt. 

Edited by MWARLEY2

For everyone speculating " new stadium ".

Couldn't " infrastructure" investment just as easily be a grandiose redevelopment of VP and environs?

Or VP 2.0 in the same area as I've seen some of you speculate?

Â