Atairos - new minority owners of Villa

ender4

32 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I see some news outlet saying that the investment is from a Comcast-backed investment firm. So never mind Atarios and it's $6.5bn portfolio, Comcast is valued at $275.33bn.

Surely that puts us as the second richest club in the world now behind Newcastle?!

Happy days!!

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

Those were the days when some of us were sweet and innocent….

giphy.gif

Today some guy in Classic Video Games FB group called me a youngin. My reply:

I've seen things you wouldn't believe, hmm... Top-loading VCR machines. I've watched Hulk Hogan body slam Andre the Giant. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, nick76 said:

Those were the days when some of us were sweet and innocent….

giphy.gif

I must have had the one before this as I remember mine having some lovely brown wood paneling on it.

I’d be all over the PS5 if it was veneered. Sony missed a trick there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Today some guy in Classic Video Games FB group called me a youngin. My reply:

I've seen things you wouldn't believe, hmm... Top-loading VCR machines. I've watched Hulk Hogan body slam Andre the Giant. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain...

Don’t worry we all know you’re knocking on a bit!  You’ve certainly lived, top loading VCR the lot. Kids today don’t know they’re born!

A strategic partnership like this means Atarios and their big media experience can help grow the Villa brand and commercial side. 

Media companies live off advertising revenue so I can only imagine the network of contacts that would be made available to Villa and additional sponsorship etc.. we can do to grow our revenue and the club. 

Also I assume they really want to get the new MLS franchise under V Sports too.

I think £80m would be about a 10% stake in the club. 

Sounds good to me!

https://theathletic.com/5140275/2023/12/15/aston-villa-atairos-sawiris-edens/?redirected=1&access_token=14699018&isNewUser=1

Atairos, an American independent investment company which has $6.5billion of equity capital, will invest in what Villa describe to “be used to fund growth and infrastructure investments, with the aim of creating material and sustainable value for Villa and the broader V Sports network over time.”

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That would be disastrous for the competition as the likes of united, Liverpool etc would pull in billions more than anyone else. The Premer League deal is actually fairly distributive.

Revenue would be distributed the same. The service would be owned by the premier league. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, burchy said:

I must have had the one before this as I remember mine having some lovely brown wood paneling on it.

I’d be all over the PS5 if it was veneered. Sony missed a trick there. 

correct, I had the wood panel one as well 

19 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

I see some news outlet saying that the investment is from a Comcast-backed investment firm. So never mind Atarios and it's $6.5bn portfolio, Comcast is valued at $275.33bn.

Surely that puts us as the second richest club in the world now behind Newcastle?!

It’s a nice connection but Comcast being a backer of the firm is a long way from saying the firm is Comcast or Comcast-owned.

Not sure I'm reading this correctly-but from my understanding of this 2016 Philadelphia Inquirer article it appears Atairos is largely bankrolled by Comcast who have the option of taking over the funds investments in 2026.

"Comcast will pay $40 million a year in management fees to Atairos, which includes Angelakis' $8 million a year in compensation, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission and Comcast. Comcast also retains the right to acquire Atairos' divestitures...Comcast noted in the SEC documents that the term of its agreement with Atairos is 10 years and could be extended to 12 years. It describes Angelakis' venture as 'a new, strategic company focused on investing in and operating growth-oriented companies, both domestically and internationally.' After Comcast recoups its investment into Atairos, the Atairos gains will be split 87.5 percent to Comcast and 12.5 percent to Angelakis and his management team."

• Like 1

In my view, what this essentially boils down to is their investment house sees villa as a good long term bet. So they probably see us signing bigger and better commercial and kit deals each year, and that this current season and our league position is not an anomaly….good stuff hopefully!

I also think this deal will be really good to increase awareness of us in America. Comcast also own NBC who own USA network which shows the premier league games in the U.S.

when I was over there recently for the formula 1 you can see there is a huge and growing interest in that sport due to liberty media, an American company, investing into the sport and promoting it over there by having more races and then allowing media companies to create programs like drive to survive. They essentially opened up the sport and gave it more publicity and you can really see the impact it’s having on interest.

however awareness of and interest in football (soccer :P) is still quite niche and whilst there are people who will converse with you about the premier league, villa etc, I think it’s still seen as quite a unique thing if you follow an English team. So I wouldn’t be surprised somehow to see us either have a commercial relationship with these guys or do more USA events in pre season etc. will be interesting to see where things go from here 

Â