MaVilla

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Luiz should play now he's unavailable for Brentford to keep him ticking over.

In two minds over Moreno. I'd be tempted to start him just to get his fitness right up to start a prem match but then two starts in 70 hours might be a little too much in terms of loadings so Digne starting seems more logical.

I wonder if Donk's cameo tonight is preparing him for a start at Brentford so he'll certainly be starting in midweek. 

Two fewer games in February would be huge help so we need to be getting the result we need to top the group.

Seems logical, physical team in which he's be useful against. 

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at 3 apiece)

b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at +0)

c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at 4-4)

d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. - (I've no idea what this means?)

If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to k) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal;

e. superior goal difference in all group matches; (Villa would be +4 and Legia +3 if we both win by 1 goal, Villa would be +4 and Legia +4 if they win by 2 goals, etc..)

f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches; (they would be at least 10 to get this far, we are at 11 etc..)

g. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches; (our win at AZ and goals at Legia make us 7 gf)

h. higher number of wins in all group matches;

i. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

j. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

• Thanks 1

Tricky line up this - we need to give some a rest, but we've got 2 suspended at the weekend so they should be playing here... We dont have the squad to literally leave too many at home, so the likes of Watkins, Tielemans, Kamara etc probably need to travel and sit on the bench.

Olsen (assuming he's available again after paternity, not sure Marschall will get thrown in. Not sure we need Emi for this though)

Cash, Chambers, Lenglet, Moreno

Luiz, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam

Zaniolo, Duran, Ramsey

Moreno off after an hour, give Chambers, Donk, Ramsey and Iroegbunam as many minutes as they can manage.

I dont see us losing.

• Like 1

We just need not to lose. We should have enough to secure that, even with some left at home. We then have further backup of Legia needing a win. Finally, if it all goes terribly, we're still through and fix it next year. It's a small gamble and the upside is players get a proper seven day break after a hectic few weeks. Play Luiz and Digne and they still get an extended break due to their suspension.

Olsen

Cash Chambers Lenglet Digne

Zanioli Luiz Dendonker Ramsey

Traore/Diaby (depending on injuries)

Duran

Bench; Marshall, Feeney, Iroegbunam, Young, Kellyman, Hause(?), O'Reilly, Wilson and any other youngsters!

Try and leave the first teamers at home. The Brentford game is far more important than this and we need to ensure we don't blow a succesful week by making the squad trek across Europe for very little reason over the festive period.

12 hours ago, CVByrne said:

So it goes to goal difference if we lose and Legia win yes? As we have a 4-4 head to head record scoreline. 

Yes, and because of that if Legia win 1-0 and we lose 1-0, then we still go through top of the group. 

However if Legia win 2-0 and we lose 2-0 then Legia go through and we go to the extra qualifying round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/12/2023 at 18:42, supermon said:

Play the B team, don't let some of the rest to travel. They could do without the journey

villaslash replied wrote

I understand the team needs a rest but travel the key players to get the result. MON sending that super weak team in the Europa with no one to come off the bench was one of his biggest tactical mistakes. Play Duran but have Watkins on the bench if we really need to cinch the result

Edited by villaslash

-----------------------Olsen----------------

Cash-----Konsa----Lenglet----Moreno

------------Dendoncker-----Ramsey------

McGinn---------------------------------Tielemans

----------------Diaby---------------------------------

-----------------------------Duran------------------

38 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

-----------------------Olsen----------------

Cash-----Konsa----Lenglet----Moreno

------------Dendoncker-----Ramsey------

McGinn---------------------------------Tielemans

----------------Diaby---------------------------------

-----------------------------Duran------------------

No reason not to play Luiz as he is suspended for Brentford.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 09:12, CVByrne said:

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at 3 apiece)

b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at +0)

c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at 4-4)

d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. - (I've no idea what this means?)

If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to k) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal;

e. superior goal difference in all group matches; (Villa would be +4 and Legia +3 if we both win by 1 goal, Villa would be +4 and Legia +4 if they win by 2 goals, etc..)

f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches; (they would be at least 10 to get this far, we are at 11 etc..)

g. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches; (our win at AZ and goals at Legia make us 7 gf)

h. higher number of wins in all group matches;

i. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

j. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

The bit in bold is assuming that there's more than 2 teams tied. If there are 3 teams tied, you can get different answers to a b and c by reapplying them as though the 4th team was also part of the calcs. If there's 2 teams tied, then that part is irrelevant as I think it would always give the same answer.

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

No reason not to play Luiz as he is suspended for Brentford.

I get the argument though, he's played 3 full matches minutes in 8 days recently. No fixed need to flog him further and make it 4 in 11.

Then you only give him a 7 day break before playing another 3 games in 8 days.

FWIW I probably would start him, but I wouldn't be expecting him to play 90 and don't think it's a given that he will start

Edited by MrBlack