MaVilla

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

The bit in bold is assuming that there's more than 2 teams tied. If there are 3 teams tied, you can get different answers to a b and c by reapplying them as though the 4th team was also part of the calcs. If there's 2 teams tied, then that part is irrelevant as I think it would always give the same answer.

Ah yes. That makes sense now. So if 3 teams are tied on points, we go through a) to c) and then one team is now "top". Then the remaining two teams repeat it so see who is 2nd and 3rd.

I'd go with:

Olsen

Cash         Chambers      Lenglet      Digne

Dendoncker   

Luiz          Ramsey

Zaniolo        Diaby

Duran        

Subs: Martinez, Konsa, Torres, Carlos, Moreno, Watkins, McGinn, Kamara, Bailey.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, wedge said:

I'd go with:

Olsen

Dendoncker   

Luiz          Ramsey

Zaniolo        Diaby

Duran        

Thats a really good lineup tbh

If things start badly we can always bring watkins and some of the heavy hitters on to make a impact

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 09:12, CVByrne said:

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at 3 apiece)

b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at +0)

c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question; (level at 4-4)

d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. - (I've no idea what this means?)

If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to k) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal;

e. superior goal difference in all group matches; (Villa would be +4 and Legia +3 if we both win by 1 goal, Villa would be +4 and Legia +4 if they win by 2 goals, etc..)

f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches; (they would be at least 10 to get this far, we are at 11 etc..)

g. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches; (our win at AZ and goals at Legia make us 7 gf)

h. higher number of wins in all group matches;

i. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

j. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

So in conclusion if we draw we are top. 

If we lose they need a 4 goal swing in their favour for goal difference. ie  we lose by 1 and they win by 3 (or something similar). 

Or a 3 goal swing and they score more than 3 goals. 

Is that correct?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Marschall

Cash Carlos Lenglet Moreno

Tielemans Iroegbunam Luiz Ramsey

Zaniolo Duran

Happy to give Dendonker a run out or Chambers but think realistically it's best to give Kamara, Watkins, Martinez, Konsa and Torres a rest. Luiz suspended for Brentford so gets his rest at the weekend.

Good chance to put Iroegbunam back in the shop window if we want to loan him out, if he can't get near the side for these kind of games we probably need to cut our losses and sell. 

Be good to give Diaby a start too but not sure if he's nursing something seeing as he's struggling so badly for form. 

I think Olsen is out based on the weekend bench but happy for him to play if he's not injured. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skarroki said:

Marschall

Cash Carlos Lenglet Moreno

Tielemans Iroegbunam Luiz Ramsey

Zaniolo Duran

Happy to give Dendonker a run out or Chambers but think realistically it's best to give Kamara, Watkins, Martinez, Konsa and Torres a rest. Luiz suspended for Brentford so gets his rest at the weekend.

Good chance to put Iroegbunam back in the shop window if we want to loan him out, if he can't get near the side for these kind of games we probably need to cut our losses and sell. 

Be good to give Diaby a start too but not sure if he's nursing something seeing as he's struggling so badly for form. 

I think Olsen is out based on the weekend bench but happy for him to play if he's not injured. 

Digne/ Luiz are auto starts for me given they miss out at the weekend.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, villaglint said:

If we lose they need a 4 goal swing in their favour for goal difference. ie  we lose by 1 and they win by 3 (or something similar). 

Is that correct?

This is how I understood it.

40 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Is that correct?

Yes, if we lose they need to win by 3 goals to top the group, or if we lose 1-0 they win 4-2 to win on goals scored (3-1 would put them level with us and we top group on more away goals scored). 

It's very difficult for us to not top the group. Especially as any win for AZ and they come 2nd in group. AZ are favourites to win in Poland

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Make all the changes

Olsen, Cash, Lenglet, Chambers, Moreno, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Zaniolo, Traore, Iroegbunam, Duran

Traore is injured, but I agree with the sentiment, we should rest as many of the 11 who started City/Arsenal as possible. 

I'd start Luiz though with Dendonker as he's suspended for Brentford. Plus I'd give Digne a half and Moreno the other half. 

Edited by CVByrne

this would be my lineup.

My only uncertainty is Chambers, as i just dont trust him, i might consider Carlos for the first 45, and bring Chambers on if its clear we arent at risk of losing, but eh.....maybe we need to give Chambers a run out.

Digne and Luiz playing as they are both banned for Brentford.

I would bring on Moreno for some fitness/game time in the last 30/40 mins or so.

Is Traore still injured?

image.png.d181314f7892482cdb9849163cc3fbc6.png

Edited by MaVilla

Lots of people mentioned Tim, but as much as I'd like to see him start and have a chance to show what he's got, I'm pretty sure he's not named in the squad. 

I'd be happy to give Chambers a bash at centre half. The stinker he had was at right back which isn't really his position. 

Edited by blunther

5 hours ago, wedge said:

I'd go with:

Olsen

Dendoncker   

Luiz          Ramsey

Zaniolo        Diaby

Duran        

Yes that team makes sense. Might even leave some first teamers at home. Especially the ones carrying knocks

Really enjoying these multi changed line ups. Fantastic if they come off but can’t wait for the reactions on here if it goes bits up.  Surely the manager will be a little less reckless after all he isn’t MON.