Match Thread: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Well, we started off as if it was still Wednesday night, but our sharp edge has dulled. Did enough to keep them goalless, but there are tired legs out there. Looking like Leon is spent, so Diaby on for the restart.

Martinez keeping us in the lead.

• Like 1

Brilliant goal. McGinn and Konsa brilliant. Time to change it - Diaby for Bailey and see who tires most out of the midfield. Think Dougie is in need of a rest so wouldn’t surprise me to see Ramsey on at some point and move McGinn to the middle. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure how we are winning at half time, I think Emery needs to do something about the shape as Saliba has Ollie Watkins in his pocket so far that it’s almost like we are playing with ten men.

There’s no out ball so we’ve started going long and it just keeps coming back. I’d just keep telling Arsenal to keep doing what they are doing if I were Artera, I’m not sure what I’d say if I were Emery

• Like 1

I’m hoping we were hanging back a little to conserve some energy for the second half, other than that it’s been pretty solid, most of their opportunities have either been offside and/or have been products of us making an error.

If the game continues as is we’ll need to score again to get a result, hopefully we come out firing a little more, obvious to say but next goal is huge.

• Like 1

Fortunate to be ahead but never going to be easy with 2 hard games in 4 days.

I think the players need to just keep things simple and not get caught on the ball because that seems to be the only time they open us up when someone is caught out of position.

Not quite working for me, not quite winning the midfield battle, we look a man short. Maybe Carlos comes off for Ramsey.

Overplaying and sloppy tonight, not quite clicking. Not keen on Martinez’s long kicks, we haven’t collected many.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I think we're showing a bit of tiredness. Surprised by the lack of intensity from Arsenal so far but glad of it.

They are also tired from their game before ours. But we are still just a little less rested and it is showing. Kamara and Luiz aren't making themselves available in the same way they normally are. 

I think we’ve done better than some have given us credit for. This is one of the strongest teams in the PL, in form and with excellent players, and we’ve limited them to a few shots. Only a couple of which stretched Emi…

We do look a little tired, but we’re more than competing. I agree Diaby should be on for Bailey… and then maybe get JJ on around 60 mins.

• Like 3

In a bar in Thailand and met 2 other Villa fans. One gooner (from Bristol obvs). We are such a good side. 

Win this and I'll believe that the title race really is on. Big 45 coming up in every way.

COYL!

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I think we're showing a bit of tiredness. Surprised by the lack of intensity from Arsenal so far but glad of it.

Man City and Arsenal have both been a bit shell-shocked by the intense atmosphere. 12th Man doing it's part!

• Like 2