The most "physical" Villa players

Marka Ragnos

13 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Alan Wright used to be a feisty one despite his size.  

its well documented, with me and size, but yes you are right, pardon the pun.

Trippier is not at all big....but he has the heart of a lion and an assertive attitude, I will be the first to admit that compensates for size....unless its aerial balls.

Our full backs are great going forward, but defending a bit questionable.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Trippier is not at all big....but he has the heart of a lion and an assertive attitude, I will be the first to admit that compensates for size....unless its aerial balls.

Absolutely agree. Plus there is always a need to be measured and sensible with the physicality… you don’t want a player losing their head and just getting constant yellows and red cards

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Absolutely agree. Plus there is always a need to be measured and sensible with the physicality… you don’t want a player losing their head and just getting constant yellows and red cards

just getting close, and engaging can have the desired effect......that leaning in, can disrupt their rhythm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Frank Barson is always the answer to this question.

George Curtis....Loved him.......Shaun Teale was no slouch.

Stanley Matthews always tried to avoid George Cummings too.....George screwed his studs to his feet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Shaun Teale was no slouch.

Shaun Teale Man Of Steel!

Peter Withe could look after himself as well and it wasn't detrimental to his footballing skills.

On the subject of feisty little 'uns did you ever see Eamonn Deacy flying into a tackle? Superb stuff.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Shaun Teale Man Of Steel!

Peter Withe could look after himself as well and it wasn't detrimental to his footballing skills.

On the subject of feisty little 'uns did you ever see Eamonn Deacy flying into a tackle? Superb stuff.

our "Psycho"

The thing was he was played, for what he did best.....not for what we wanted him to do.

He played in 9 games in the title winning season.....amazing how Saunders saw his worth, to the team function.

These players, give the "talent" the platform and freedom to play, they negate the muggers who try to stop us playing.

The game still has them in a more stealthy guise.

Edited by TRO

21 hours ago, TRO said:

Come on @sidcow there's half a dozen Kenneth's there

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paul McGrath could more than handle himself, despite having the exquisite skills of a brain surgeon. Ugo was as strong as an ox, I remember one (fair) tackle on a Sheffield United player in the FA Cup when he absolutely marmalised the Blades player. My favourite ever tackle though was Marv in the League Cup final, absolutely superb and went through the City player at 100mph, great stuff.

• Like 1

I think when you talk about physicality in football, players tend to fall into three main categories.

1. Those who want to dominate their opposition using physicality as their primary weapon.

2. Those who will use physicality when it is required, but primarily look to dominate in other ways.

3. Those who actively try to avoid physical battles on the pitch and use other skills to impact a game.

Most of our players fall into the second category I'd say, and I think Watkins is a very good example of this. He's capable of engaging with defenders in physical battles when the situation is beneficial, but he doesn't spend the whole game on his marker's toes like say Shearer or Duncan Ferguson would back in the day, or Carew or Benteke would for us. Even Mings who's not shy of a physical tussle would try to be involved only when the situation suited us, as he had other responsibilities.

I think tactically nowadays you can't just go and have a physical battle with your opposite number all game anymore, formations are so fluid and situations change so rapidly that you end up engaging with multiple different players at any one time. As a forward if you get sucked into scrapping with a center half all game then you run the risk of being easily contained, and a defender who does the same is no longer covering for their fellow defenders. Tactically every player is needed.

Really, every player at the top level now is an athlete and will look to use whatever physical attributes they have to their advantage in any given situation. Most players are strong enough to hold off another player, but it's not just strength, often being balanced is just as important. So when people say 'he's easily knocked off the ball' it's not always down to how 'strong' they are, but more they keep finding themselves off balance and unable to use their strength. When we talk about reading the game, the advantage that can give you is a split second more to get yourself balanced and in the correct position to engage in a physical battle. I think you need a certain mentality to read the game in this way, to have this particular kind of anticipation, this is what I believe @TRO wants more of in our team, for us to become more robust.

I think all of our players are capable, some more than others, but a little more certainly wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

Â