The most "physical" Villa players

Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think when you talk about physicality in football, players tend to fall into three main categories.

1. Those who want to dominate their opposition using physicality as their primary weapon.

2. Those who will use physicality when it is required, but primarily look to dominate in other ways.

3. Those who actively try to avoid physical battles on the pitch and use other skills to impact a game.

Most of our players fall into the second category I'd say, and I think Watkins is a very good example of this. He's capable of engaging with defenders in physical battles when the situation is beneficial, but he doesn't spend the whole game on his marker's toes like say Shearer or Duncan Ferguson would back in the day, or Carew or Benteke would for us. Even Mings who's not shy of a physical tussle would try to be involved only when the situation suited us, as he had other responsibilities.

I think tactically nowadays you can't just go and have a physical battle with your opposite number all game anymore, formations are so fluid and situations change so rapidly that you end up engaging with multiple different players at any one time. As a forward if you get sucked into scrapping with a center half all game then you run the risk of being easily contained, and a defender who does the same is no longer covering for their fellow defenders. Tactically every player is needed.

Really, every player at the top level now is an athlete and will look to use whatever physical attributes they have to their advantage in any given situation. Most players are strong enough to hold off another player, but it's not just strength, often being balanced is just as important. So when people say 'he's easily knocked off the ball' it's not always down to how 'strong' they are, but more they keep finding themselves off balance and unable to use their strength. When we talk about reading the game, the advantage that can give you is a split second more to get yourself balanced and in the correct position to engage in a physical battle. I think you need a certain mentality to read the game in this way, to have this particular kind of anticipation, this is what I believe @TRO wants more of in our team, for us to become more robust.

I think all of our players are capable, some more than others, but a little more certainly wouldn't hurt.

What a resume....spot on.

You believe right....that is precisely what I mean...and well articulated.

• Like 1

There are many things I look for when watching ALL levels of football.....but one thing that does catch my eye is ball retention.....I value players that master it.

My opinions vary, due to the age of players....but its one element that impresses me, when a player has it in his locker.

Its the first thing, I noticed when I first saw Gareth Barry and the same with Jude Bellingham.....Jack also fell in to the same bracket......The ability to release the ball, when you want to, is paramount.

I have difficulty in getting excited about a player, when they constantly lose the ball....particularly with light challenges.

There are exceptions, I guess.....but by and large, thats my stance.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Not if it’s aligned with technical ability. 
This is what contributes to being an all round player imo 

Technical ability is ten times as important as physicality

On 04/12/2023 at 19:38, luckyeddie said:

On Undr the Cosh, ex Blues centre forward Mick Harford (seen as an old school hard footballer) was asked who was the physically toughest opponent he ever faced. He said Paul McGrath.

If I remember it properly, he said he was fuming after the game and wanted to fight him and God just shook his hand and said good game and that was it. Its how hard players should be 

• Like 2

Â