Match Thread: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Stop this high line shit.

Get some shape...stop backing off..especially away from home.

Have a bit of work ethic and move the ball.

It's even a reserve spurs side....some of these players haven't been in a match squad in ages.

Game should be dead but we have a chance 

I expect better things

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

No one would care if that Watkins goal was given. You cannot, judge that as offside, due to not knowing by 100th of a second when the ball was actually kicked for the cross. 

Spurs fans would disagree. Then we can go round and round in circles discussing it. We just need to ditch VAR it is tedious at this point on top of everything else. 

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

That half was just awful. A depleted Spurs side just battered us and how the hell we are 1-1 I’ll never know.  Emery needs to do his magic.  I just can’t believe how bad we are away from home…Newcastle, Liverpool, Forest and now Spurs.  At home we are untouchable but away we are so fragile…

Unai needs to be more conservative away from home. We’re not good enough to play the same style away from home. Let’s hope there’s a tactical change second half and we can make a game of it and nick it

Positives: The scoreline. We still have 11 players on the pitch. Look dangerous on our rare attacks. Doulas Luiz with delivery of the season.

Negatives: Pretty much everything else. Comprehensively outrun and outplayed. Defence all over the place. Giving it back within 5 seconds in midfield. Build up play disastrous by our usual standards. Cash Kamara McGinn need to get into Spurs but they are all on yellows now, treading a tight rope. Went 1-0 down away from home yet again. Poor set piece defending leads to another goal from outside the box, exactly like Szoboszlai against Liverpool.

Can only hope that Emery has a new plan for after half time. We have Tielemans Bailey Ramsey Duran as options to change the game from the bench. Let's hope Spurs intensity can't last the full game and we can pick ours up because there is a chasm right now.

We need to find a way to keep the ball and build for the back - the Spurs press has been the dominant factor in the game, we just haven't been able to play.

We play a sort of slow, slow, quick game where we build and move you around, create patterns and isolate people then go forward quickly with two or three passes - there was a lot of talk about how Spurs would deal with that quick attacking - instead they've taken away the slow - they've removed our starting position and stopped us being able to launch attacks - I've got say their press had been really impressive.

We need to find a way to beat that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They drew the lines on my feed. Looked off to me. 

Yeah, they drew them on the second picture they found, ironically not the 90 degree angle picture where he looked onside. 

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

They play that way, we don't

Not just about the way we " play " though is it?

It's about Digne not getting blown past, or us being able to take better advantage of counter situations.

Unless you're insinuating we play with zero pace?

I know we play at our own pace, but we also inject pace and hit teams on the break 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

What’s the point in playing a high line if we only have 38% possession? If we’re going to play high line we need to dominate the ball, if we’re not going to dominate the ball then we need to sit deeper.

We are cramping their midfield and catching them offside.  Their three best chances have all been ruled out for offside - if the linesman had flagged straight away then they wouldn't even have been "chances".  We've lost the midfield battle and Cash knows the ref is looking to give him a red card.  The issue is to gain control of the middle of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Cash and Torres missed easy headers before they scored as well. But since their goal we've been shite. Before that it was a toe to toe boxing match.

I think it was below shite......we are making a complete mockery of our Home form.

• Like 1

Their goal was the same as the Plop goal at Anfield earlier this season.

Corner swings out to the edge of the box and one of their best strikers of the ball smacks it sweetly towards the goal.

Why weren't our defence out towards Lo Celso closing him down?

By the time it reaches any Villa player it's basically in the net.

This is the one thing you can throw at Emery. Away form for the most part in his career can be really bad at times. His away form got him the sack at Arsenal. 

Even went a calendar year at Valencia or Sevilla without winning away. 

Talk about a smash and grab first half!!

Villa have been awful against a Spurs second string.

From front to back Watkins has being strutting around the game like he’s on a model runway. Diaby has been statuesque and showing petulance whenever he doesn’t get the ball. Cash? The less said about him the better and needs subbed!

Villa’s midfield have been trampled on by a lightweight Spurs team that want it far more.

In defence Carlos is far too slow to play a high line and needs replaced with Pau Torres also suffering from the same ailment. Konsa needs to move into the centre right away to add some pace.

That **** high line . I repeat again any top six team will expose it even Spurs second team. 

On a positive note Villa have somehow gone in all square and I can see why Emery wants Celso. Gave Villa’s midfield a lesson in how to play the position alongside Bentancur. 

Edited by striker