Premier League relegation battle 2023/24

useless

48 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I predict all the promoted clubs to go down next year also.

Gap between pl and Championship is growing larger every season.

leicester i'd have said have a chance but think they start on a points deduction?

but forest and everton are still in big trouble with the latter needing to sell their best players this summer. they'll both be in the mix

Very difficult to predict Ipswich I think; on the one hand they look to be a side who may have 'achieved too soon' but could also imagine them being hard for PL sides to figure out. The rest of the Championship contenders look weak to me. Leicester have a transfer embargo and are likely to start on minus points, surely dooming them from the off, while most of the playoff teams are uninspiring. West Brom and Norwich just aren't very good, while Leeds are managed by Daniel Farke, a man who we know for a fact cannot set up a defence that can cope with Premier League attacks. Really that leaves Southampton, who are the only one of the four I would give a decent chance of survival to. 

• Like 1

It was just a year ago that Fulham and Bournemouth stayed up very comfortably. And Forest scrambled clear and confirmed their status with a game to spare.

I always think it depends what sort of team comes up. If it's a fallen giant like ourselves, Newcastle or Leeds who actually have decent money to spend more often than not that team stays up.

If it is a complete minnow like Luton then that is very difficult.

Sheffield United also came up in complete turmoil with the owner trying to sell the club and they spent nothing up to the final few weeks when Archer and Hamer came in. Next season they start championship on -2.

I think this year Burnley were the biggest disappointment considering they are experienced in the last decade as a premier league club. Just signed too many young players and Kompany was too stubborn to change his style until it became too late.

This is the first time since the late 90s that all three promoted teams have gone straight back down so this isn't a regular event and I think it was just exceptional set of circumstances.

I think Leeds will be o.k if they come up. Southampton probably be like Burnley.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was just a year ago that Fulham and Bournemouth stayed up very comfortably. And Forest scrambled clear and confirmed their status with a game to spare.

I always think it depends what sort of team comes up. If it's a fallen giant like ourselves, Newcastle or Leeds who actually have decent money to spend more often than not that team stays up.

Sheffield United also came up in complete turmoil with the owner trying to sell the club and they spent nothing up to the final few weeks when Archer and Hamer came in. Next season they start championship on -2.

I think this year Burnley were the biggest disappointment considering they are experienced in the last decade as a premier league club. Just signed too many young players and Kompany was too stubborn to change his style until it became too late.

This is the first time since the late 90s that all three promoted teams have gone straight back down so this isn't a regular event and I think it was just exceptional set of circumstances.

I think Leeds will be o.k if they come up. Southampton probably be like Burnley.

I think the bigger aspect is the parachute payments.  Luton had none, Sheffield United possibly 1 season worth (?) and Burnley maybe 2 (?) - similarly, with Forest's big spending, an argument put forward was that they are on an uneven keel with Premier League clubs as, say, Luton can "only" lose £61m whereas a more established side (say Everton) can incur £105m before heading into breach.

I imagine the cycle will be that a recently-relegated side - with parachute payments - will have a better chance of staying up compared to one which doesn't.  Ipswich will be at a disadvantage to whoever they come up with in this regard.  I don't know how the financial changes impact this (probably a fair amount?).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The crazy thing being he abandoned all of that in the PL, wouldn't be so bad if they came up played their football fell short of player quality and went back down but they didn't play their football, they've had nothing about them at all, no identity 

Sackable for that reason 

I'm not sure if you have watched Burnley. Isn't the problem that he didn't abandon anything? They tried to play their football and were nowhere near good enough.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I'm not sure if you have watched Burnley. Isn't the problem that he didn't abandon anything? They tried to play their football and were nowhere near good enough.

Kompany had no plan B. Utterly naive way to go about it. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very difficult to predict Ipswich I think; on the one hand they look to be a side who may have 'achieved too soon' but could also imagine them being hard for PL sides to figure out. The rest of the Championship contenders look weak to me. Leicester have a transfer embargo and are likely to start on minus points, surely dooming them from the off, while most of the playoff teams are uninspiring. West Brom and Norwich just aren't very good, while Leeds are managed by Daniel Farke, a man who we know for a fact cannot set up a defence that can cope with Premier League attacks. Really that leaves Southampton, who are the only one of the four I would give a decent chance of survival to. 

I think only Leicester have a chance of staying up, assuming they are not deducted points. Whoever comes up through the playoffs and Ipswich have very little chance in my opinion. 

Posted (edited)

This season has been an anomaly in that Sheffield United and Luton massively overachieved to get promoted in the first place, and then didn't spend big to strengthen their squads, Sheffield United actually sold their two best players so arguably had a weaker squad this season than they did last season in the Championship.

I would expect Leicester and Ipswich to make a better go of staying up

Leicester because their squad probably isn't far off midtable Premier League quality as it is, just as Luton and Sheffield United overachieved in getting promoted, Leicester underachieved in getting relegated

Ipswich it could be said have overachieved in getting promted, but they did so with a defined style and system and often such teams do better when promoted than expected, see also Bournemouth and Brighton and going further back Swansea when they first got promoted, also they've got wealthy owners, I think it's been said that they might surprise a few with how much they're prepared to spend

Play-off winners might struggle, Southampton could perhaps be similar to Ipswich in that a set way of playing might help them, Leeds I think would have to spend big, Albion have a very good manager, but at best could only see them scraping survival, I wouldn't have much hope for Norwich, but Wagner did keep up Huddersfield in his first season with them as a Premier Leagut team

They will all likely struggle and all could end up relegated, but I don't think they will be as bad as this season's promoted teams, I'd be surprised if all three promoted teams went straight back down, it's not gong to happen every season just because it happened this season

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Agree with all of this except the last line. We've seen what Farke can do at this level before. Maybe if they sack and replace him, or they happen to find two or three world-class defenders in smaller leagues that they're able to sign. Otherwise I can't see it.