Ratings & Reactions: Nottm Forest v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/23 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, allani said:

It wasn't even a bad performance.  We had 5 times the number of touches in their box than them.  Every single stat (except the important one!) was in our favour.  We score a goal at any point in that match and we go on to score 2 or 3.  It was one of those games when nothing quite bounced our way.  It happens.  No need to over-react.  No need to panic.  No need to tear up the game plan.  No need to sell half the squad.  We play like that and create that many chances on another day and we win comfortably.  

I'd agree on the RB transfer - Elanga had Cash on toast today (but did less well against Kamara and Carlos).

The stats don’t really tell the story though - we rarely had a clearcut opportunity, and when we did we squandered it badly. It wasn’t luck, it was a smart game plan from Forest.

1 minute ago, allani said:

It wasn't even a bad performance.  We had 5 times the number of touches in their box than them.  Every single stat (except the important one!) was in our favour.  We score a goal at any point in that match and we go on to score 2 or 3.  It was one of those games when nothing quite bounced our way.  It happens.  No need to over-react.  No need to panic.  No need to tear up the game plan.  No need to sell half the squad.  We play like that and create that many chances on another day and we win comfortably.  

I'd agree on the RB transfer - Elanga had Cash on toast today (but did less well against Kamara and Carlos).

Unai will sort it… these are all experiences we will learn from and improve upon. And he will make sure of it!

Was never going to be smooth or easy ride.

I do think we were poor overall though, too many players not on their game and lacking sharpness. Too easily disrupted or dominated, especially in that first half.

Wish people would get off Zaniolo’s back though… he needs some confidence, one goal and he will be flying!

Once again, it’s still remarkable how Unai has done and got us playing despite the injuries to such key players. Could have done with a few of them today.

The squad is still light and lacking in options.

JJ and Moreno can’t get back in the side soon enough… would love Buendia involved asap (will be a while)…that creative spark would be most welcome.

Hope we strengthen in Jan and keep pushing for a really successful season…

• Like 2

The ease in which teams negate our play in games like this must be a concern for Unai.

It had traits of the Wolves game.

We are clearly, not as good away from home, and I think UE needs to investigate, why?

Teams with players less talented than ours, seem to find a way to stop us, by working hard and relentless closing/pressing off the ball.....We seem to need too much time, to think of the right pass, and the lack of our movement  going forward ,plays in to their hands.

I think, we deserved nothing, and got what we deserved.

Emi must be concerned with these routine goals he is conceding, albeit the defence parted like the Red Sea, for their first goal, poor defensive positioning.....when they had the ball, you would think they had Covid, for our proximity to them.

Tepid performance.

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They’re better that bottom5, they’ll finish mid table.

Keep losing to the likes of Forest and so will we.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I agree it’s important not to over react and had we lost to Brighton away or someone like that I would be less bothered but we have failed to beat wolves and forest away both of whom are garbage. Games like today would have allowed us to keep a 5 point gap to Newcastle and 7 point gap to Utd but now we are back to 2 and 4 points respectively so this was a big game and we didn’t play like it was. The closing down for the first goal was pathetic the just was nobody charging out to block the shot. Forest charged and blocked most of our efforts or rushed us into poor finishing. The 2nd was equally poor in terms of closing the shot down and yes it was a nothing shot that emi should have just caught rather than do what ever the hell it actually did but those two goals and lack of closing optimised a lazy performance of a team believing the hype. Will utd lose away to forest ? Probably not, they will probably put in another horrible performance like yesterday but win 1-0 and this is why we will probably still finish around 7th.

though Pau played very well on the brightside but other than that turgid is all I can think to describe our performance 

I don’t think our squad or players are as strong or of as high a level as many believe… (in terms of chasing Champions League, for instance) Unai has been doing exceptionally well. Players returning from injury and some strengthening in January will really help us. 

Just now, Kingman said:

I'm on the 11th of 12 bottles of Mad Goose and off to finger blast the missus tuna tunnel 

**** you Villa 

Yep, the old fella obviously gonna give up the ghost after 11 beers ;)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

40%  think that ref was average or better :o

I voted average then remembered he gave them a foul that clearly wasn't when they had a man clear through. Should've been 2-0 half time 

Dreadful start played into their hands. 

Ref let them get away with bully boy tactics the whole game. Watkins was manhandled on numerous occasions.

Diaby had a poor game, kept making the wrong decisions in promising positions.

What Martinez was doing for the second goal no one will ever know.

Zaniolo got subbed off at half time, but it could easily have been McGinn. McGinn offered little out there today.

Cash was terrible. Offered no threat going forward whatsoever. Constantly bypassed defensively. 

Luiz didn't have his usual influence.

Kamara was frustrating. Some nice touches, mixed with some stupid ones.

The back 2 were good. Digne was good today, couldn't find the right ball at the right time though.

Bailey was double teamed, but had a go.

Tielemens was good when he came on.

All in all a poor day at the office. To concede so early, in such a manner was really disappointing. Was never at the races in that first half. To then concede at the start of the second half in an even more farcical manner m, we go what we deserved. I have to reiterate that was very much a home side bias with the ref. That guy should never ref a Villa game again.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

The stats don’t really tell the story though - we rarely had a clearcut opportunity, and when we did we squandered it badly. It wasn’t luck, it was a smart game plan from Forest.

We had more than enough chances to win the match.  We didn't take them.  On another day we do.  Forest played well and did what they needed to do.  Blocked pretty much everything and rushed us when we did have chances.  We played better than Arsenal or Brighton this weekend.  So no need to panic.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Personally, I'm struggling to see why some people are so angry at that refereeing performance - not much wrong with it.

He only made one big decision that he got wrong (the forest "foul" on Kamara about twenty minutes in that stopped play when they should have had a second goal), but it seemed like an incredibly inconsistent performance to me.

Some shoves were fine, some fouls were given for the slightest possible touch. Could never tell for any specific incident if he'd think it was a foul or not.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

The ease in which teams negate our play in games like this must be a concern for Unai.

It had traits of the Wolves game.

We are clearly, not as good away from home, and I think UE needs to investigate, why?

Teams with players less talented than ours, seem to find a way to stop us, by working hard and relentless closing/pressing off the ball.....We seem to need too much time, to think of the right pass, and the lack of our movement  going forward ,plays in to their hands.

I think, we deserved nothing, and got what we deserved.

Emi must be concerned with these routine goals he is conceding, albeit the defence parted like the Red Sea, for their first goal, poor defensive positioning.....when they had the ball, you would think they had Covid, for our proximity to them.

Tepid performance.

I think we lack physicality and even aggression at times… something that’s been a problem for ages.

• Like 1

Forest are difficult  to beat at the city ground, as some have said we cant win them all and today i felt that this would be the day, the game as it went on just showed the home side advantages and from there i just knew it wasn’t our day.

The media this week and all these podcasts talked ALOT about us… top four this and title contenders etc , they get carried away more than the fans just over the top stuff.

Luckily we have a manager who will show them the game today and where we went wrong.

Luiz was not terrible today i think many are overreacting and need to calm down, Luiz was well below his average in the first half but second half looked his usual self, i gave the MOTM to Mcginn he looked fantastic today, Diaby and Cash were hugely disappointing as was Bailey who lacked confidence in the final third.

This is a match that was missing a Ramsey, he would have excelled here today i reckon, overall we are missing JJ, hes a serious upgrade on Zaniolo, and i dont want to hear anything about he needs more time IVE SEEN ENOUGH!! he’s nowhere sharp enough at this level, he fits in the slower pace leagues but not for Premier League, think Emery got that signing wrong but in fairness its a loan so he can return to his club. 

Very upset as i would have loved to see us with those extra points and in the top 4 but knew we would become unstuck today.

17 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Every one of our players had the ball and did precisely nothing with it, Digne just had more of it. Who was your motm? 

Almost impossible to pick one. I thought Tielemans played well when he came on. Pau controlled things well and was pretty good too.