Match Thread: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

Dross, but to be expected.

I think expecting anything else is a little fanciful. They're playing a very dogged 5-4-1 so we're naturally outnumbered any time we try to get the ball in the final third.

We need to commit an extra attacker to make our set up a 3-1-6 and overload one of their flanks to get deeper into their box. We can't continue having Digne and Bailey so isolated on the wings because they are either putting in a predictable cross or passing it all the way back to the CB.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

There is a pigeon sleeping on the fence in my back garden , I might go outside and watch it , it will be more interesting than the  first half I’ve just suffered 

At least stream it so we can all watch!

We're not as bad as some are saying. (Not to say that we've been brilliant.) It's just how these matches go. I remember watching lower Serie A teams stifle the great AC Milan teams like this. Be patient and wait for a breakthrough; we'll win 1-0. We're absolutely dominating possession and Zrinjski is not as talented as Legia to play on the break. We'll be fine.

Just now, HKP90 said:

I can't quite reconcile with those saying we were shite. 

We've not been terrible, just lacking attacking ideas, Zani aside.

Aside from the first 10 mins they've not really threatened us at all. 

There's almost, dare I say it, a sense of you know what. 

Just now, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Zaniolo looking pissed off as he walks off for HT. Wonders why he’s playing with the reserves 

Not taking a pop at you but this stuff with the reserves and this being a lesser competition and no one looking bothered... This is what I hoped Emery with all his Thursday night European games experience would stop

The weird thing about this line up is that Carlos, Digne, lenglet, dendoncker and tielemans have the most European experience in our squad bar probably torres, they should know what this is all about

Its infuriating that no ones seems to care

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

As a Swedish fan this is so strange to me. The local team I support sings all the time, whether we're winning or losing. Make it at least sound like a home game, it's embarrassing if the away fans are the loudest fans.

It was like that in our first season post promotion under Smith but it quickly wore off.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually don't think we have been as terrible as some suggest.

I think the expectation that we should just be steamrolling a Bosnian team, at home, plays a part here.

In fairness, they have been extremely solid, 10 men behind the ball, onus is on us to find an opening.

Absolutely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smg said:

Support from the stands is shit. All mouth beforehand nothing on the night. 

Fans react to what's happening on the pitch. That's why the atmosphere is bad, because the performance is so bad. 

1 minute ago, punkiller1981 said:

Tielamens and donk in the middle is so slow on moving the ball and moving around the pitch 

Pretty much this.

If Villa are still alive in Europe by January then both Donck and Tielemans need moved on and replaced with much better. Plus one or two FBs.