Jareth

@nick76 and @RichW do you get what my post was about earlier today? I like to look at the mental side of the game and the win today could be the catalyst that gives the players the belief they can qualify for CL. 

The performance tonight shows that we can compete in these big games and produce in the big moments. We are absolutely ready for CL regardless of what happens against the Arse. 

15 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think you will be proven incorrect. If anything, I believe Liverpool look like a better bet right now.

But it will be Man City, with games to spare. 

Nah, City won't do it. Last season was their peak under Pep, now they sputter a bit, Pep quits and they hire Tuchel and start over.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Man City won't even finish top 2

Would love to believe that but I think when they have players back and the treble hangover wears off it’ll pick up. BUT no-one has ever done four in a row so you might be right.

Pep says we are in the mix though!

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Beat Arsenal and I'm interested.

Yeah, it’s how I’m feeling. It would be another big step for me towards me posting more in this thread rather than the champions league thread.

Obviously if we had beaten Bournemouth and drew with Man City it would result in the same points return with what actually transpired. But having the results happen the way it has gives me a touch more belief that there’s some validity to this thread. Beating Citeh feels like a monkey off our back as they were the only side we hadn’t beaten since returning. It feels like we can beat anyone now.

Likewise, I feel like winning against the current league leaders and drawing with Brentford would be better than the other way round. 

All that said…Arsenal, Brentford, Sheffield United, Man Utd, Burnley to round out the year. I reckon if we pick up 11 or more points from those and we’re still in the mix, I would find it trickier to dismiss the notion of this thread.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Would love to believe that but I think when they have players back and the treble hangover wears off it’ll pick up. BUT no-one has ever done four in a row so you might be right.

Pep says we are in the mix though!

I guess it was in his interest to say that given the hiding we'd just given his side.

We didn't go into that game thinking lets raise our game cos it's Citeh, although I am sure that helped, but instead we carried out Don Unai's plan to perfection. A mate texted to say first time he'd watched us this season and he couldn't believe how good we were. I simply said, it's the best of what we do. The bar is set, we need not fear anybody in this league and we have the January window coming up even though the squad already looks strong. Unai will not rest until we win the title.

Unai Emery is a 2ppg manager at Villa, he’s shown it consistently now for a year. If that continues over the next 23 games we would finish on 78 points, which likely isn’t enough to win the league. However over the last three seasons it would have resulted in 3rd, 3rd and 2nd. Which obviously we would be ecstatic with. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Unai Emery is a 2ppg manager at Villa, he’s shown it consistently now for a year. If that continues over the next 23 games we would finish on 78 points, which likely isn’t enough to win the league. However over the last three seasons it would have resulted in 3rd, 3rd and 2nd. Which obviously we would be ecstatic with. 

This I what I still don't think a lot if people in the media have picked up on. 

Danny Mills came on talksport this morning and said to Gabby, "how is it Villa are so good all of a sudden?"

We've been the 2nd or 3rd best team in the Premier league really consistently for about the last 14 months, the day that Emery managed his first game. People still think we are on a good run this season.

• Like 4