Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/23 at 22:59

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

I think our squad depth is ok, and you can rotate in one or 2 of the back up players into the first team, and theres no issue. Olsen looks ok with the first team, dendonker comes in and performs well etc. But when we make 4 or 5 changes we look really nervy, and unable to play the same way as the first team.

Yep and that's usually the case in any squad. There's a point where you lose the first team cohesion. It's usually about 4 players and it goes. I do think we maybe need to acknowledge that the team had just done 2 away games in a week aswell. One of them in Poland. Not the easiest build-up to this match, and that 5 or 10% can be the difference.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't think so, because so far it has 100% been down to personnel. When we pick our strongest team we generally win. When we don't, we generally don't.

Saturday, will tell us a lot on that score.....I have my doubts, it was a one off.

I am not sure I agree BOF....because I have seen signs of questionability, when we have won, but its not a good time to mention it....we had decent teams against Liverpool and Newcastle...but their running just eclipsed/ dismantled us.

Right now, there are attributes missing from this team and we look like a soft touch, and the most worrying thing is, for me,  the opposition look like they know and play accordingly.

I still think our squad still has a certain type of quality missing or in short supply......We need more players "who go after you, not wait for you"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

I think our squad depth is ok, and you can rotate in one or 2 of the back up players into the first team, and theres no issue. Olsen looks ok with the first team, dendonker comes in and performs well etc. But when we make 4 or 5 changes we look really nervy, and unable to play the same way as the first team.

Not sure, I agree with that......It depends in what context it is meant.

Balance is key.

I can think of a handful of players in the Newcastle and West Ham squad, who do feature in games, that should we be linked with them, many would baulk at the thought...but those players bring balance to the talented players.

We have some talented players....but they need the off the ball grafters, to give them the platform to play.

We have the architect, carrying the hod.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Saturday, will tell us a lot on that score.....I have my doubts, it was a one off.

I am not sure I agree BOF....because I have seen signs of questionability, when we have won, but its not a good time to mention it....we had decent teams against Liverpool and Newcastle...but their running just eclipsed/ dismantled us.

Right now, there are attributes missing from this team and we look like a soft touch, and the most worrying thing is, for me,  the opposition look like they know and play accordingly.

I still think our squad still has a certain type of quality missing or in short supply......We need more players "who go after you, not wait for you"

Wasn't a one off though.

Stevenage, Warszava. 

What you're talking about intensity and the willingness to battle is also a part of a player's personality.

Olsen is not as aggressive and confident as Martinez is. He will prefer to stay on his line than being brave and catch a cross.

The Chambers, Dendonckers of this world aren't naturally battlers.

I don't think it's a tactical issue but a personell issue.

A manager can only do so much. The personality of a player will come through on the pitch.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 3

Unfortunately there were no surprise's about last night's result, the ability to play out from the back when you just do not have the players to do it and the slow build to any attack meaning you always have the entire opposition in defensive positions to block your path. We are painfully weak in the aggressive stakes and think someone else should do the running to take up good positions for the outlet pass. The lack of fight or leadership to get a result is unknown to these players and their only battle in a day is to find their lucky pant's, Unai has his work cut out but the Spanish style has to have specific type's of player's and we are just putting square pegs into round hole's.

• Like 1

So a really poor performance.

Changes had to be made. But Emery got things a bit wrong. Hindsight is 20/20.

So the first major thing Emery got wrong was playing Tielemens as a left midfielder / CAM. This guy clearly lacks the speed of foot, agility, and balance to operate in those tighter spaces. He just gave the ball away over and over and over again in that first half. If you want to play with Tielemens, Dendonker and Luiz you need a central midfield 3, with Dendonker Anchoring. 

Dendonker wasn't great, but to take him off and leave Tielemens on was poor Unai! 

Cash was very poor. He was shooting when should be crossing, crossing badly, and all he could do right was pass backwards. We may as well have played Chambers.

Pau and Konsa did fine. But clearly lacked confidence in Olsen who looked as bad as he could have in that first half. Came for nothing, shiting his pants when in possession.  Just not the right keeper for our style of play. 

McGinn didn't do too badly but had Tielemens in front of him. I'm glad he only played 45 minutes because he has been looking leggy for 3 games now. 45 minutes was probably the plan from the start for him.

Luiz continues to do what he does well, but he needs the players around him to give him options.

Zaniolo was off it, I believe he needed a rest. Unfortunately Bailey going off injured meant he couldn't get that rest.

Diaby was poor, probably needed a rest too. 

Duran tried but had no supply. 

Tielemens is not a wide or advanced midfielder, I don't want to see him in those kind of positions again.

Onana was excellent, bossed that midfield.

We should have started with midfield 3. Unfortunately Ramsey wasn't on the bench so must have a knock, otherwise he'd have started left mid. Then was could have rested Diaby and gone 433.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

We lost to Newcastle because they took their chances and we didn’t. Plus we had Buendia injured in the week leading up and then Mings getting injured had a knock on effect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I want to know what the attendance was . Feel like they are being sneaky with it,  which is pissing me off . 

I have looked for it and can't find it anywhere. Strange isn't it? image.jpeg.6703e5f314335655ef5227f32e338d3f.jpeg somewhere....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Be in the programme Saturday , surely ? 

It's usually announced during the match though and I don't recall it not being in the press the following day. Perhaps the abacus is faulty, they are still checking the corporate figures (in disbelief) or the computer says "No" to anything  below 35,000?  ;) 

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Yep and that's usually the case in any squad. There's a point where you lose the first team cohesion. It's usually about 4 players and it goes. 

That's true - but we played 45 minutes with nine of our ten strongest outfield players. In the second half, we were only missing Martinez and McGinn, and there's every likelihood that might happen again this season with suspensions. 

• Like 1

TBH, I think if McGinn is off his game we dont play as well, but more over I think we really miss Ramsey. I think when he gets back in the fold he has the energy, pace, passing ability, ball carrrying ability and his decision making is excellent, he also carries goal threat and is a great finisher. I think he enables Kamara and Luiz to stay and anchor play, offering the link to the forwards.

I was really impressed by his come back cameo, I thought he was excellent. I think him on the left and a settled Zaniolo on the right (with Diaby floating in the #10/false 9) we will be cooking. Cant wait for the second half of the season.

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Wasn't a one off though.

Stevenage, Warszava. 

What you're talking about intensity and the willingness to battle is also a part of a player's personality.

Olsen is not as aggressive and confident as Martinez is. He will prefer to stay on his line than being brave and catch a cross.

The Chambers, Dendonckers of this world aren't naturally battlers.

I don't think it's a tactical issue but a personell issue.

A manager can only do so much. The personality of a player will come through on the pitch.

I agree....but thats where the manager needs to introduce those, right  players, during recruitment.

We signed some good players during the summer, but diversity, plays a part in squad balance, as you suggest....I think some upgrades of Dendoncker and Chambers, would have been nifty.

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's true - but we played 45 minutes with nine of our ten strongest outfield players. In the second half, we were only missing Martinez and McGinn, and there's every likelihood that might happen again this season with suspensions. 

Spot on.

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

We lost to Newcastle because they took their chances and we didn’t. Plus we had Buendia injured in the week leading up and then Mings getting injured had a knock on effect. 

Those are fair comments....but we couldn't stop the runners....teams run at us, and we don't have the personnel with the personality, to stop them.