ender4

We have to "turn up" and We can win this, but we have to show we can....and that means fighting for the initiative.

If anything, Brighton should be the ones being intimidated, we have the "double" over them from last season.

Chests should be puffed out, and be quickest to the ball, we have to put a peg in the ground from early on...set the tone.

The belief has to be found from somewhere and the cobwebs of melancholy brushed aside.

Everton have turned things around and have a new found spirit, we must do the same.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, PaulC said:

The last time you said there wouid be loads of goals in a game it ended 1-0 Chris.  So I'm going for 1-0 either way

Which game was that? Pretty sure my weekend prediction was we'd keep it tight at Chelsea, aim for 0-0 at half time and take things from there and so it turned out for once.

Brighton certainly have ability to score a couple, I think they'll give Fati a start so him on one side and Mitoma the other is going to be a huge challenge to contain.

That said we normally score twice v them and Ollie has a pretty good record.

Pretty annoying Ramsey isn't going to be available as last day match was probably his best ever 90 minutes. Team probably picks itself given how poor Donk and Tielemans were midweek but I wouldn't be adverse to pushing McGinn advanced just to counter them a bit more.

I'd be fine with a point. Beat Wolves and that would be 16 points from first 8 which is a brilliant start in anyone's book especially with the significant injury issues.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

These are shite. I mean, they’re actually not shite for once but we do seem to have their number and we’re at home so a win for us it is.

Yeah it's strange. I looked at the bookies odds and they have Brighton at 5/4 and us 7/5. Now of course Brighton are playing well so guess punters are just seeing it as continuation but they've also been playing well in previous years before playing us and we usually win reasonably comfortably. There's only a 3 point difference in the table.

Will West Ham be priced at 5/4 in a few weeks? They really do have our number in the respective match up and have already had a couple of good wins this season. I'm certainly less confident of even getting a draw from that game than Saturday. Can still remember the early home game where Moyes played for a 0-0, it was a terrible match and still we somehow lost from that goal that massively deflected and looped over Emi. Gerrard should've been sacked an hour after that match rather than waste another two months.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Big game. We win this then the bookies and media outlets might take us a bit more seriously. Currently they see us as mugs with Brighton and Spurs more interesting.

Shocking result against Everton but if we bounce back and win this then I'm sure most won't care about Everton humiliating us. Need to win this to make it worthwhile.

Do they really? Most newspapers are hugely respectful of the job Emery had done, Henry Winter for a start.

If you're just basing it on "content creators" on Youtube and SSN there's your answer.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Do they really? Most newspapers are hugely respectful of the job Emery had done, Henry Winter for a start.

If you're just basing it on "content creators" on Youtube and SSN there's your answer.

Sorry I was drunk and annoyed when I wrote that message.

To explain, bookies top 4 and title odds massive favour Spurs and Brighton over us despite us only being 2 and 3 points respectively behind both teams and having more difficult opening fixtures. You even alluded to it in your above post when you said Brighton were favourites on Saturday, although I think you're mistaken on that one as we're both at 6/4 on Paddy Power and both at 8/5 on Oddschecker so no one is actually favourite. Now we are not playing particularly great currently and those sides have looked good early on but I've looked through our fixtures for the next 6 games and id be disappointed if we were on less than 24 points from 12 games by the time we go to Spurs away at end of November so our odds should be much closer to those teams IMO. In terms of the media, it's mostly BBC Sport which constantly writes articles bigging up Big Ange and Spurs and I see very little coverage of us or Emery. SSN is actually alright I think. 

Brighton are a great side and everyone knows their jobs even if they play their B team (as they did against Man Utd) but I wonder genuinely how many of their players get into our team even with our injuries.  Estupinan, Mitoma, Dunk maybe. Fati plays best on left like Mitoma I think. Id suggest Martinez, Pau, Luiz, Kamara, Watkins, Diaby all walk into theirs. Of course football isn't played on paper but we have a quality team and great form over the past 9 months which I think goes unnoticed. 

Maybe I'm just sensitive. To be honest going under the radar probably is a good thing anyway as less pressure.

I think you can make a case for any result tomorrow tbh. Brighton have started well, and they are one of the best sides in the league to watch but I do think they are a tad overrated in the media if i'm being honest. They've had to play Wolves, Luton and Bournemouth and these were teams that were in the bottom six and probably expected to be in the bottom six this season. Newcastle was a good win for them albeit it was at home whilst it was a good win for them at Old Trafford but Man Utd have been pretty poor this season and Wolves should have won there.

They are good but i'm not convinced that they are as good as they are being made out just yet, if they rock up to Villa Park and put on a masterclass then fair enough I will start to think different. 4 home games out of 5 has also been beneficial for them. Just makes me more impressed that Villa are only 3 points behind them since we've been to Anfield and St James Park in our run. This will be Brightons first "tough" away fixture of the season so lets see. 

Expect to see some sort of reaction from the Everton game, I think its key Villa score the first goal here as whilst we finally got a comeback win against Palace I wouldn't have much confidence if Villa were to go behind here. Pretty much i've read/seen Brighton do have a habit of conceding goals. 

Going to go for a highly entertaining 2-2 draw. 

• Like 3

In their build-up Sky mentioned Villa having a mixed start to the PL season and in contrast Brighton having an EXCEPTIONAL start...

It's a little weird considering only three points separate the teams.

Still find it really weird how Villa are represented in the media; almost downtrodden, unfashionable...I think sixth in the PL is pretty good considering those injuries.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In their build-up Sky mentioned Villa having a mixed start to the PL season and in contrast Brighton having an EXCEPTIONAL start...

Still find it really weird how Villa are represented in the media; almost downtrodden, unfashionable...I think sixth in the PL is pretty good considering those injuries.

Both in the top 6, both lost their opening European fixture, both lost in round 3 of the league cup... Sky are just eejits tbh

• Like 1

We've beaten them 4 in a row. For whatever reason we seem to have their number. A full strength Villa side at home and I think we can do it again. Won't be easy obviously. They're a bloody good side who, at this point, must be looking for revenge. But there's no reason we can't do them. Ollie might be coming into some form now after a dry spell.

2-1 Villa.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's aggravating as hell, even with a class manager and European qualification we are still treated as 'the other club who unfortunately turned up on match day' in 80% of all coverage home and abroad.

I don't fancy us against Brighton at all, we have to come out of the blocks firing.

Buendia, Moreno and Ramsey missing does take away a lot of team intensity, need captain ass to step up.

18 hours ago, romavillan said:

De Zerbi has them playing really well, one of the best teams in this league at the moment. We'll have to be playing well to get a point, three will be very difficult to get.

We have one of the best managers....I'm being told we have a strong squad.....we need to go out and show we believe it.

De Zerbi finished last season, one point above us and having conceded more goals.... we never got going until Unai arrived, after 14 games, but De Zerbi became the darling of the press, fine.

We should take solace from that, and go out and B e l i e v e a bit more.....They should be the nervy ones, not us.....but only WE can change that.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Every team has high and lows...the better ones have less lows.

The problem we have to the non-believers is our lows are too low....The disparity, between high and low for us, is too big....when we are off it, we are woeful......good aspiring teams, don't do that, in the main.

We can be deemed as unconvincing to the neutrals...thats the challenge, we face.

Edited by TRO