ender4

I think tommorow could be due to the Rail strikes, it’s really quite hard to get into Birmingham tommorow with no rail replacement buses if you live outside of a city and therefore lack a direct coach in. Not all towns have national express bus services to Birmingham either especially if stagecoach control the local area and due to the early kick off people who could usually give you a lift are busy.

a better gauge of demand will be the West Ham game…they will need to price it correctly however as I doubt it will be a classic. It wouldn’t surprise me if demand did drop off, I always had reservations about the expansion tbh

Edited by Villatillidie95

13 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Sorry I was drunk and annoyed when I wrote that message.

To explain, bookies top 4 and title odds massive favour Spurs and Brighton over us despite us only being 2 and 3 points respectively behind both teams and having more difficult opening fixtures. You even alluded to it in your above post when you said Brighton were favourites on Saturday, although I think you're mistaken on that one as we're both at 6/4 on Paddy Power and both at 8/5 on Oddschecker so no one is actually favourite. Now we are not playing particularly great currently and those sides have looked good early on but I've looked through our fixtures for the next 6 games and id be disappointed if we were on less than 24 points from 12 games by the time we go to Spurs away at end of November so our odds should be much closer to those teams IMO. In terms of the media, it's mostly BBC Sport which constantly writes articles bigging up Big Ange and Spurs and I see very little coverage of us or Emery. SSN is actually alright I think. 

Brighton are a great side and everyone knows their jobs even if they play their B team (as they did against Man Utd) but I wonder genuinely how many of their players get into our team even with our injuries.  Estupinan, Mitoma, Dunk maybe. Fati plays best on left like Mitoma I think. Id suggest Martinez, Pau, Luiz, Kamara, Watkins, Diaby all walk into theirs. Of course football isn't played on paper but we have a quality team and great form over the past 9 months which I think goes unnoticed. 

Maybe I'm just sensitive. To be honest going under the radar probably is a good thing anyway as less pressure.

Have to be honest I couldn't really care about title odds given the way the game has gone in last 25 years. Might aswell make Man. City 1/10 on (although Liverpool would then be a good value bet at 7 or 8/1.)

Spurs is just London bias and their fans getting giddy as usual and piling on although I can't really imagine who's actually betting on Spurs to win the league.

Brighton getting plenty of good press. Fair play to them given they don't have a sheikh but have been incredibly astute in their dealings over last decade and isn't that what the majority on here constantly demand of our club?

Yeah I checked William Hill coupon yesterday and they'd priced Brighton at 5/4 and us at 7/5 so they're slight favourites. Punters betting on them to beat us obviously don't realise how bad their record in last 7-8 years is v us, didn't even beat us in 16/17 when they comfortably got automatic promotion so we know that sort of psychological record can play into both teams mind pre kick off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In their build-up Sky mentioned Villa having a mixed start to the PL season and in contrast Brighton having an EXCEPTIONAL start...

It's a little weird considering only three points separate the teams.

Still find it really weird how Villa are represented in the media; almost downtrodden, unfashionable...I think sixth in the PL is pretty good considering those injuries.

Yeah that is bizarre take I must say. We've won both our home games and still only played two which is probably the fewest in the league so far so Brighton with four homes are always going to have more chance to win and boost their points haul.

Draw tomorrow, kickstart europe with a win and then go to Molineux and win that and it's 16 points from first 8 games so we'd actually be on course for a 70 + point season.

Think everyone would've taken that in the hours after the Newcastle game two months ago.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, juteface said:

Need to be on form for this, I do fear Pau vs West Ham more though. 

Is Ferguson fit for them? He's a physical monster who has decent pace so a nightmare CF for Torres currently. Welbeck is more movement and creating space for their wide players so think he'd be o.k with that.

I wonder if we might see Konsa moved across to RB for this now Diego Carlos is fit. Would be a big call but I do think Brighton could really expose us out wide if they start Fati and have Mitoma the other side.

9 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In their build-up Sky mentioned Villa having a mixed start to the PL season and in contrast Brighton having an EXCEPTIONAL start...

It's a little weird considering only three points separate the teams.

Still find it really weird how Villa are represented in the media; almost downtrodden, unfashionable...I think sixth in the PL is pretty good considering those injuries.

Yep this perception by the media really gets my goat too! If Brighton were joint second for points accrued in 2023 then I think we'd be hearing about it often. As it is, Brighton are INCREDIBLE! And we are a footnote who somehow have managed to win a few games here and there also. Hey ho, it probably suits us to continue being underestimated though...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yep, not great when we are on about going to 50k but I’d imagine there is enough demand on the waiting list to fill it as long as we don’t leave too many seats for general sale because they won’t sell by looks of it. 

Sweeping price increases don't help either. This is why I always thought talk of a 60,000 stadium fanciful unless we genuinely became top four contenders.

UE said it during his pre-match. 

We must run more than them, we must out duel them. Brighton spread the pitch wide and vertically so it will be 10v10 a lot of the times, players on their own little islands against their opponent. 

Going to be an open match I think 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

I've never understood so many Villa fans with inferiority complexes when it comes to our club. Who cares what others think, we know who we are and what we're about. That's all that matters really. 

I'm tempted to start a Villa fan self- pity thread. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Because if I propose something risky and creative, it costs us nothing.  

emi

cash, konsa, pau, digne

kamara, Luiz, mcginn

zaniolo

diaby.  Ollie

when in possession, cash and digne become main width in attack and kamara and/or mcginn drop back to right or left respectively in a back 3 or even 4 if cash and digne both caught up front.

the other advantage is to create some new passing lanes from defense into a midfield three.  It could also free Douglas to go marauding a bit more.  

if emery did it, it would be a huge risk that could backfire.  But it’s just names on a screen for me to play with.   

Edited by srsmithusa

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Every team has high and lows...the better ones have less lows.

The problem we have to the non-believers is our lows are too low....The disparity, between high and low for us, is too big....when we are off it, we are woeful......good aspiring teams, don't do that, in the main.

We can be deemed as unconvincing to the neutrals...thats the challenge, we face.

Lows??? Low was the tripe served up with the one with the winning mentality, low was nearly getting relegated season on season after Lerner pulled the plug.

Low was having spent a lot of money in the Championship and having Bruce park the bus. That’s woeful.

Only the Man City last season and Liverpool game this season have we not looked like scoring under Don Unai. Even the Newcastle game we had easy chances that we failed to take. 

The fans who call any performances under Don Unai as poor or woeful should watch some of the crap under The Slippery one to remind themselves what woeful really is. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

The start of a long mad rush to get to VP for kick off. Kford to Rugby for dodgeball tournament then back to VP hopefully before kick off. Pitchside so fully expecting a ball in the face from a Lucas Digne clearance 

Dodgeball will come in handy then