Ratings & Reactions: Legia Warszawa v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/23 at 22:59

The premier league is more important apparently 

Despite the fact we won't get into the champions league

So who cares, try and win the confernece full strength and get into europa next season. 

We can't play our best team every game so we have to use the rest of the squad. The issue is if they are not good enough like Chambers then results like today happens.

So naturally we will get knocked out of most cups quite early I think if we have to rely on these reserves who are not good enough in some cases

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A thought ( Yes we were shite )

But i wonder if these teams will monumentally raise their game against us as " underdogs ".

Guaranteed all these teams see a PL scalp as the ultimate" F*ck you "  to the " system ".

On the flip side, some PL teams think they can just turn up and get results as they are " Premier League " etc.

Bring the two together and you're in for a long evening.

Effort needs to be put in.

This  ,  they where up for it from the first minute backed by the fans.We started slowly and even with subs never got any rhythm going 

As bad as it was it would be a good wake up call and better to be crap now with plenty of time to improve.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Again 5 first 11 players on the bench 

We can’t play our best 11 every match for various reasons. I don’t think we have the depth to rotate and be competitive.

3 current internationals and a guy who has played 15 games for France and  over 100 games for Barcelona were the fringe players the manager bought in, if fans think these players aren’t good enough to start then I genuinely don’t know how you ever expect us to rotate the squad. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, picicata said:

I'm having horrible flashbacks to the MON era when he did something similar. We lost in Europe and then got dicked in the league.

I still think we'll qualify through the group stages as I don't think Unai will make as many changes for the next game

That was at knockouts. You have to take it more seriously when you get to that stage as you only get one chance or you’re out. First game of the group stage is a bit different.

56 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Chambers, Digne, McGinn, Kamara, Tielemens all terrible tonight.

If you're going to rest players, you should do it properly and rest McGinn as well. First half it was like we were playing with ten men. The guy was invisible, clearly off the pace. Worn out after his efforts for Scotland.

If you're going to rest players, don't play Chambers! In fact just don't play Chambers! Ever!

Digne was all over the shop, just like his country man Kamara. 

Tielemens just missed everything, tackles, passes, shots. Struggled to even stand up, has he even heard of balance?

Duran should've stayed on, his presence terrified them, Watkins was ineffective.

Zaniolo was good, but he can be a bit too clever sometimes.

Bailey was lively, unfortunately the got no support, and not one good pass from Chambers.

Jj looks hungry.

Lenglet was poor, looks slow, didn't try to play much, Konsa took over ball playing duties and it showed. He isn't and ball player.

Just really poor all round

Agree with most of this except I thought Bailey was poor too and Lenglet no better or worse than Konsa, and I thought Konsa set the tone with ponderous, unimaginative distribution.

Ramsey looked anything but rusty and returning from injury, thought he was hungry and sharp and looked most likely to make something happen.

Its a lot to ask or expect from Duran, but he is a handful so think he is playing himself into starting very quickly, he terrified them.

Ultimately we were too sluggish, and complacent, they chased and harried and exposed our back line, Mings wouldn’t have made much difference tonight, the rot was wide spread.

Typical Aston Villa.😃

We have looked forward to this night for so long and suddenly we decide to throw in a poor performance like that.

It confirms what we know, our defence is the biggest challenge to us having a decent season. To change 2 of our less than rock solid back 4 was a surprise but we do have to manage the workload of some of the players. That said, they are all experienced players should have been good enough to manage the game tonight. The last thing we needed tonight was to give then an early lead and really stoke up the crowd (who were magnificent).

For positives. We looked dangerous whenever we went forward. Duran & Zaniolo both looked sharp. JJ is also back and will give us lots of midfield and forward options. We should have salvaged something out of the game with 4 good chances in the last 10 minutes. I was also surprised that the challenge on Big Jhon was not reviewed after he forced an excellent save from their keeper.

We need a big performance on Sunday at Chelsea, who could be the joker in the pack this season. Can be beaten by any of the other sides but also capable of having one of those days and winning big.

Dust ourselves down and we resume battle of Sunday. Another big week ahead.

UTV!

Shit performance. Villa got visibly nervous and stressed as the game went on which made things worse. Lack of experience with playing abroad in front of a hostile crowd didn’t help.

Defence particularly poor, not one defender did even remotely well. I worry about Lenglet’s lack of pace.

But I won’t complain about selection, it’s not possible to use the same 11 players every three days until May. The problem is rather the squad still may not be good enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

I was also surprised that the challenge on Big Jhon was not reviewed after he forced an excellent save from their keeper. 

Yeah it was a definite foul. If he'd gone down rather than taking the shot it would've most likely been a penalty. Still, can't blame him for having a go at goal. 

You've got to rotate. It's 3 games in 7 days so we don't have much of a choice. This is similar to the problems West Ham had last year.

I think the question Unai is going to wonder is - what kind of game plan can really work with the non-XI players. Chambers and Lenglet in open space is inviting any half way competent opponent to run at you. Tielemans is going to struggle in the double pivot with too much ground to cover. I'm sure that's part of the reason Unai has been hesitant to start him. Bailey has some sort of voodoo on him and can't play away from home. Can you keep playing out from the back when we've been struggling to make it stick up top? Zaniolo helped today but Legia started forcing us over to Chambers side.

The rotation XI has a lot of weaknesses that Unai has to game plan around. This is where he needs to show his elite credentials.

• Like 2

I felt this is our best chance of winning some long overdue silverware. I am deeply annoyed we have changed half the team and messed about with our he defence in such a tricky first away tie. I am not against rotating, and understand the necessity, but 5 is too many changes to the starting line up in my opinion. All is not lost though, we have just made our job harder going forward and have left less room for errors from here on. Still annoyed though!