Ratings & Reactions: Legia Warszawa v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/23 at 22:59

Not understanding the obsession with the rotation last night. Yes chambers was poor playing out of position but digne and kamara were two of the worst performers, both regulars. 

Duran came in and scored. Tielemans and Bailey can hardly be considered kids rotation options as either could start at the weekend and no one would really be surprised. 

Time to just accept it's about poor mistakes at the back. The same thing that has been happening all season and it's the thing that really needs sorting. 

We were shit. Unai knows. He will remedy it at the weekend but if we don't he will try and remedy it the next week. He isnt unhappy at Villa. He has players at his disposal to win a game. Easy to say we have been found out with the high line but i think its a mix of things. Our relationships on the pitch aren't quite right yet compared to last season. JJ and Watkins have been injured/ out of form . Kamara has been out of form. McGinn is having a dip compared to his incredible form at the end of last season. No Buendia and introducing 2 new players to our attacking formation in Diaby and Zaniolo. Bailey is hot and cold and i think we have to accept that now until the summer . And our back 4 is different every game with our spiritual leader being out and in reality 3 new centre backs this season cause Diego was out all last. 

Once they bed in and understand each other things will improve. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is there a second source on this?

Yeah this one is basically the same article but doesn't specify fan allegiance

https://www.sport.pl/pilka/7,64946,30217469,tragedia-po-meczu-legii-aston-villa-nie-zyje-kibic-probowal.html

A great tragedy after the Europa Conference League match: Legia Warszawa - Aston Villa. The man fell from several meters and died

According to information from "Gazeta Wyborcza", the tragic accident occurred on Thursday, September 21, around 21, i.e. after the end of the European Conference League match: Legia Warszawa - Aston Villa, next to the Torwar 03 public transport stop (towards Mokotów) at Wisłostrada

Sorry didn't want to bring anyone down just wanted to share.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, duke313 said:

Well, what have we come up with?

The general consensus here is that we shouldn't have made any changes at all to the starting XI.  The 5 changes made, on paper, were the correct decision IMO.

I haven’t seen anyone saying that Villa shouldn’t have rotated. It’s where those changes were placed considering it was an away game. Chambers isn’t a RB. It was also a tad ambitious asking Lenglet to debut in an away European game alongside Konsa who needs a stronger CB beside him.

It would have been much more sensible to pair Chambers with Konsa and play Cash from the start. Or, Konsa at RB and play Carlos with Chambers in the centre.

Neither, Tills, nor McGinn are DMs while Kamara is struggling for form and isn’t a physical DM so there was little or no protection for the back four. For me Dendoncker should have started with Luiz. Kamara could have given Luiz a rest later in the second half.

For an away game I just think there could have been a better balance to the side.

i don't think the balance was too bad on paper - it's just that Tielemans and Kamara both arrived seemingly thinking we'd dominate and it would be a great night to show off their ability on the ball - they both constantly wandered off up the pitch with little intention of providing any sort of cover for the back four, or pressure on the ball - a back four that had never played together was then subject to having runners in space coming at them from all directions.

First goal, Chambers looks like he's thinking about tracking the runner rather than pressing the man with the ball, he motions to Kamara that's what he'll do and looks like he might pass the crossing man onto him - Kamara stands off and doesn't close at all, it's lazy. Chambers ends up doing neither thing and the cross into the box is simple. Second goal, Kamara loses the ball and both he and Tielemans are ten yards too far up the pitch - there's a massive chasm behind them and Legia take advantage of the space.

Chambers is capable at right back, it's where he's been playing since he arrived here - he's not great but on a good day he can do a job - he had a horrible day and was dreadful - but for me (and it's not really a competition) Kamara was our worst performer on the night.

We lack a bit of aggression in this line up in the back six - none of the back four is really an aggressive defender, Kamara isn't and Tielemans is a wet lettuce with excellent passing ability - there's no one to clear out a forward and a lack of a leader with a big voice - that's understandable I guess given that we're missing Mings and Carlos. Regardless, it shouldn't have been a problem - there was more than enough out there to not concede three silly goals against this side.

I guess it's possible that the manager wanted the back four to play higher and that the gap between them and the midfield is on the defence rather than the two deeper midfield men, but I think that's unlikely - I guess it's also possible that Emery actually wanted us to play with a massive hole between our midfield and our untested back four, but that would mean he's daft, and I'm not having that - for me, we lost the game due to a lack of awareness, urgency and focus from our midfield two - if they do their jobs, we win that.

We've got five games to get it right - I'd almost be of a mind to play this eleven again in the next game and see if they've learned that you win on the pitch, not in the papers.

• 2 months later...
Â