Ratings & Reactions: Legia Warszawa v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/23 at 22:59

6 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I will say that..

As an outfit we are figuring our this European football stuff out..

This is our first proper European football match in terms of flying to another country and experiencing a different atmosphere..

Maybe the Hibernian draw was a very familiar atmosphere for the players..

We are not a fully fledge European level team yet..

Our squad need to get familiar with the playing on a Sunday and then flying out on a Thursday and then playing on a Sunday again and remain competetive..

This is a marathon not a race and it is imperetive that we get European football again next season so that our players improve at that level..

Absolutely this.

We need to be able to make a lot of changes to our side and still get a result midweek, because playing your best players every 3-4 days is not viable at the level we are aiming for.

For whatever reason a number of our second string were not comfortable or familiar with the system or each other last night.

The answer is to keep working with them to get them up to the point where anyone can slot into the side and we don’t look like a bunch of strangers. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Absolutely this.

We need to be able to make a lot of changes to our side and still get a result midweek, because playing your best players every 3-4 days is not viable at the level we are aiming for.

For whatever reason a number of our second string were not comfortable or familiar with the system or each other last night.

The answer is to keep working with them to get them up to the point where anyone can slot into the side and we don’t look like a bunch of strangers. 

This is the more worrying part rather than the selection itself. The squad may still not be as strong as we all hoped and losing such big players as Mings and Buendia has added to that. 

Great to see Ramsey back though.

7 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I will say that..

As an outfit we are figuring our this European football stuff out..

This is our first proper European football match in terms of flying to another country and experiencing a different atmosphere..

Maybe the Hibernian draw was a very familiar atmosphere for the players..

We are not a fully fledge European level team yet..

Our squad need to get familiar with the playing on a Sunday and then flying out on a Thursday and then playing on a Sunday again and remain competetive..

This is a marathon not a race and it is imperetive that we get European football again next season so that our players improve at that level..

Spot on. It always hurts to lose but we can’t just keep picking our strongest 11 every game.  We’ve seen time and time against how jaded they start to look second half of the season and then fans cry about lack of rotation. 

• Like 2

We were resting players for Chelsea.

The league is clearly a priority for both the owners and Emery.

If we can get off to a good run in the league and are in a good position to finish 5th I'd be more than happy to ditch conference.

The best conference can give us is if we win it is Europa league.

Pau Torres should have started that’s my only gripe . We looked good going forward first half so that wasn’t the issue. Second half was really embarrassing in terms of not once being able to get control of the game and looking clueless. Legia really controlled the second half which is a credit to them, they were the better team. 

21 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We were resting players for Chelsea.

The league is clearly a priority for both the owners and Emery.

If we can get off to a good run in the league and are in a good position to finish 5th I'd be more than happy to ditch conference.

The best conference can give us is if we win it is Europa league.

Unless we sort out defensive issues out, we haven't got a hope of getting 5th or winning the ECL. To do either we need to beat good sides and they have the players and coach to exploit our weaknesses. Simple balls over the top or through the defence (as per Liverpool & legia ) are enough to cause major problems. 

• Like 1

We need to sort out our mentality when playing away. At home we've been consistent for a while (in general) but away from home we've switched between average and shocking.  It used to be we couldn't win at VP now the opposite seems true.

It's one game and wasn't really a huge surprise to me. We were poor Defensively as we have been all season and we play in a style that can be exploited by pace in behind. 

I dont blame the players coming in from the cold either. I don't think you can sit on a bench for weeks and then perform at your optimum in a one off game. If we want to better manage a squad, we'll need to include those players more. Allow them to build relationships. 

Warsaw looked good, now we get to correct the mistakes against chelses

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dubbs said:

We need to sort out our mentality when playing away. At home we've been consistent for a while (in general) but away from home we've switched between average and shocking.  It used to be we couldn't win at VP now the opposite seems true.

We've had some very difficult away matches so far tbf.

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We actually put a stronger team out against hibs first leg . Doesn’t make sense really but there’s no way that team we put out should have been that bad .

It isn't just about the quality of individuals. But team chemistry, match fitness, general fitness. There are a bunch of factors whoich plays into why it's generally a bad idea to heavily rotate.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

Was at the palace game and we couldn't pass to each other and we couldn't hold onto possession. Both liverpoo and palace unlocked our defence easily with a simple ball over the top of the defence.

It appears the same happened last night.

I think it's a combination of other teams now have worked out how to play against us and without mings etc to organise us, our high line tactics and defence is non existent ....

Slightly worried to be honest, we have lost our resilience and look weak 

• Like 1

AZ lost which is good news. I think we should win our home games and get 4 points from the two away games and top the group. 

We'll learn from this. I think the defensive changes were poor decision by Emery and we are really feeling loss of the dominant central CB with Mings and Carlos out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Shit performance. Villa got visibly nervous and stressed as the game went on which made things worse. Lack of experience with playing abroad in front of a hostile crowd didn’t help.

Defence particularly poor, not one defender did even remotely well. I worry about Lenglet’s lack of pace.

But I won’t complain about selection, it’s not possible to use the same 11 players every three days until May. The problem is rather the squad still may not be good enough.

Am not buying this lack of experience playing abroad. All but Konsa, McGinn and Duran that started have played in Europe before. Barcelona, Arsenal, Marseille, Sevilla and Roma among the clubs they played at

the 4 people that gave Calum Chambers motm.  wtf, im assuming some sort of ironic or massachistic vote.  A worse performance by an individual in a villa shirt I can't remember.  not only did he not defend himself he also got in the way of konsa defending for the last goal.  on the ball he was clueless he can not play emery ball and should be sold as soon as the Jan window opens.  Tielemens was almost as bad  

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hibs was no preparation for tonight. Defence is a worry away from home no matter who is playing.  Perhaps a bit of hubris for all those who think we should be the favorites for a competition when we haven't played in Europe for a generation. 

If you want to be positive it could be a well-deserved kick up the arse for the remaining five games. Or this is going to be a lot tougher than some people had thought unless we are all in every game with our first XI.

I said it at the time, Luzern was who we needed to play 

8 hours ago, meregreen said:

Don’t see the point of that. You don’t analyse a teams failings by pointing at another teams failings. I’ve no doubt Unai will be looking closely at the performance, and identifying where we need to improve. Doubt very much he will shrug his shoulders and draw comfort in Brightons performance. Face it, we were dreadful.

As long as he looks at his own as well. He wasn’t blameless for last night.