Change Two Football Rules

Marka Ragnos

You've been put in charge of football for the whole universe (or any other universes you wish to run), and you get to change two rules. (You can also change nothing.) What two adjustments would you make?

I'm no expert on the rules, but here's one handy reference if you need to look stuff up [note to mods-the text at that link isn't really excerptable].  

I think I just have one, for now, and that's to move the penalty mark back slightly -- maybe to 13 yards. I feel like it would make it just a bit harder to score but still make pens a worthy compensation for penalty. I need to consider my other rule change. It probably connects to VAR.

This is a surprisingly difficult subject and a very heady one. When you imagine a rule change, you also instantly see all kinds of potential problems and you realise the laws of the game are pretty clever and not easily improved. Can you rise to the challenge and propose something at once brilliant and plausible? It's not so easy, at least for my puny brain.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Orange Card.  Ref watches the game back after and gives one to anyone diving or feigning injury like holding their face when contact was nowhere near.

Once issued next game if player does the same 2nd Orange Card equals 1 match ban.

That will stop the blatant cheating.

My other pet hate is the blatant obstruction of letting the ball go out for a goal kick anywhere else it's obstruction so why not by the byline.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

automatic yellow card for talking back to the referee

VAR should punish diving instead of letting it go

two good rules there.

I would also allow in play subs, i.e. you make a sub when you want just like in Ice Hockey but the game doesn't stop while you do. Another one would be to make a player that goes down injured and requires on field treatment come off the field and remain off for at least 3 minutes to recover. If you make your way off the field on your own power then you can get treatment on the sidelines and come on whenever you're ready. Physio's are actually needed on a pitch about once every 5 games, players go down injured just for a break.  

Edited by villa89
  • Thanks 1

Number 1- I’d change the offside debacle at the moment and make it so it is only offside if there is clear daylight between attacker and defender. My main reason for this is that with VAR and the granular technology involved, top level football is moving away from the game kids play in the park, or fat lads play on a Sunday, and is almost becoming a different sport. This rule can be applied at all levels fairly, with or without VAR, and should lead to more entertainment.

Number 2- Make all domestic and continental cup competitions a straight, unseeded, knockout competition. I don’t get why past performance or size of league should give any team an advantage/disadvantage. The league winners don’t start the following season with a points advantage, everything reverts to zero. Why should they get an advantage in the following seasons cup competitions? You mess up, and you’re out of the tournament, simple. 

• Like 4

Lineker had a good one about being able to take a free kick immediately, including being able to pass it to yourself. 

An interesting idea as it would potentially put a stop to the shithousing tactics such as pull backs. 

I'd also look at penalties for handball. Potentially only giving a penalty if the hand stops a shot towards goal. Other handballs, such as blocking a cross etc seem to have such a high reward even though they're at the edge of the box in an unthreatening position. I'd tie into this that the ball is dead once the outcome of the kick has been decided. No rebounds. 

• Like 1

Penalties only if attacker is facing the goal itself, the ones where a foul is committed with the player going the other way indirect free kick instead. Its such a mad advantage.

To level up making penalties harder, for all direct free kicks in the 25-30 yard range there can be a maximum of 3 defenders between the player and the keeper. Everyone else has to be 15 yards away from the line of sight in all directions.

• Like 1

You can only be offside where your feet are. Why should ozil be at a disadvantage because of his eyes

Refs should be mic'd up. Shout at the refs all you like call them a cxxt and a fucxxx as much as you like but don't be surprised when nike and addidas drop you 

• Like 1

I’d definitely change offside back to how it used to be. If they’re level or it’s a tight call, favour the attacker. We’d get more goals and entertainment, which is what we all want. It’s a travesty when great goals are ruled out for an armpit hair’s worth of distance. See Diaby’s on Saturday for example. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Oaks said:

1. A 15 min sin bin for cynical on the break fouls. 

2. The first person who picks up the ball at a throwin or corner must take it or is booked.

I was going to say sin bin too.  I'd also like to see a trial of captains and/or managers having 2 or 3 reviews per match like in cricket to see how it would work.

• Like 1

1. Stop the clock when the ball isn't in play. This would probably mean making matches only an hour long though.

2. Replace penalties with free kicks unless it's a clear denial of a scoring opportunity. Simply because most fouls in the box don't warrant the punishment of a penalty IMO.

Handball. Its either handball, or 'ball to hand', like it used to be. None of this 'natural position' bollocks. And no flicking the ball up, aiming for opponents hand.

Offside. Much like the whole of the ball needs to cross the whole of the line, there should be an obvious gap between attacker and defender for it to be called offside. Again, like it used to be. And none of this 'affecting play' or phases, if yer off yer off. Lino puts his/her flag up straight away.

And if they got rid of that God forsaken VAR that's ruined football, they'd probably have to change those 2 rules back, because the ref/lino would have to make their decision there and then. You know, like it used to be. 

4 hours ago, villan95 said:

2. Replace penalties with free kicks unless it's a clear denial of a scoring opportunity. Simply because most fouls in the box don't warrant the punishment of a penalty IMO.

Agree though as in the box I would make it a bit easier than a free. Maybe a penalty but a defender can stay on the line

I think they have similar in hockey

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Agree though as in the box I would make it a bit easier than a free. Maybe a penalty but a defender can stay on the line

I think they have similar in hockey

Or maybe just change where the 'penalty area' is. Could have a semi circle similar to what you get on 7 a-side pitches.

Weekend Pitches available at The FDC - Norfolk FA

Edited by villan95

Â