Change Two Football Rules

Marka Ragnos

5 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Went to Sutton United last night to watch the youth team in the EFL cup.

The EFL cup has a rule where if it's a draw then it's 1 point each, with a penalty shootout for 1 extra point.

On penalty shootouts change The Charity Shield to a 92 all league teams Penalty Knock Out Competition.  All fans of all clubs get to see their team at Wembley and players learn to deal with the pressure of taking penalties in front of 90000.  Could hold it over 2 days make more money for charity.

Whoever wins the penalty has to take the penalty - US soccer league in the 80's style from the half way line.

If you get fouled and end up up off the pitch then roll back on - no treatment for you. Either roll back off to get treatment or lay there til the game finishes

Frequent randomised weekly drug/hair/piss tests for all league players.

This second one is super controversial. But a handicap system. Winner of the league starts next season on -20. 2nd -15. 3rd -10. 4th -5. It sounds absolutely ludicrous, but if you look at the point spacings between those finishing positions, you'd have some amazing seasons where like 8 teams could win the league on the last day. It would also mean sometimes one of the sky 6 muppets finish 16th

Edited by VillaJ100

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Frequent randomised weekly drug/hair/piss tests for all league players.

This second one is super controversial. But a handicap system. Winner of the league starts next season on -20. 2nd -15. 3rd -10. 4th -5. It sounds absolutely ludicrous, but if you look at the point spacings between those finishing positions, you'd have some amazing seasons where like 8 teams could win the league on the last day. It would also mean sometimes one of the sky 6 muppets finish 16th

Second one is ludicrous to be honest. Leicester win a miracle title and get docked 20 points the following season? :D 

1. Orange card / sin bin for half way line pull back Rodri type height of cynicism fouls

2. Penalties only for denial of goal scoring opportunity (though it pains me to introduce another subjective element), otherwise indirect free kicks. Open to other ideas here but the game has become about trying to win penalties, which isn’t hard if you’re called Kane.

Couple of mine have been suggested already, so I’ve got just one new one:

Penalties are weighted too heavily to the attacker. My rule would be that the keeper can leave his line as soon as the penalty taker has started his run up. Would most likely put an end to all these nonsense run ups and make it fairer. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Couple of mine have been suggested already, so I’ve got just one new one:

Penalties are weighted too heavily to the attacker. My rule would be that the keeper can leave his line as soon as the penalty taker has started his run up. Would most likely put an end to all these nonsense run ups and make it fairer. 

mine on penalties would be that the penalty is automatically a dead ball afterwards, like a shoot out, if the keeper saves it or hits the post then its a goal kick, wouldnt even give them a corner if he pushes it round the post, no rebounds

gives at least some reward to the keeper plus then a dual benefit in that all the other players can go stand on the half way line or the dug out, no encroachment or anything like that 

• Like 3

First off I'd like the refs to actually enforce the rules that are here already. Dives and tactical fouls should be yellows, even if it's a Man City player who does it.

Then the big ones they need to fix is the offside rule and the handball rule. Both are so broken and dubious that any call can be right or wrong depending on ref and team/player involved.

I leave it for the people who actually work with these issues to sort it out the exact details but IMO it shouldn't be OK for a defender to swat a ball away that's heading for goal, even if unintentional while the attacking team can have a goal scratched off for the ball brushing the arm during build up to the goal. We want to see goals right? Same with offsides. If it's too close to call then give the advantage to the attacking team. Those silly lines drawn arbitrary off a video that might or might not been stopped at exactly the right millisecond and at the right angle needs to go. And players who are clearly effecting play must be seen as offside even if they are not the ones on the end off the ball.

1 - assistant referees actually flag for an offside, and VAR checks (or keeps the flag down for on side).  if it is an obvious mistake change the decision.  if there is any contention go with the original decision (as with the umpires decision in cricket)

2 - stop the clock when there is a genuine stoppage (physios on, substitutions, wasting time etc but not ball out of play) and let the game finish on 90 minutes (as in rugby union). this should be done by an official off the pitch and shown on the stadium clock making everything transparent.  this will cut out the potential of added time favouring the sky 6/7 clubs

I know we should only do 2, but my third would be if a team has a player sent off in normal time, in a penalty shoot out they should have 4 penalties to the other team having 5, therefore stopping teams playing for penalties.

Edited by luckyeddie
Added on

Tactical fouls where a player who'd otherwise be through on goal or will have a man advantage on the break is brought down or has their shirt pull should be a red card. Or introduce an orange card for this offence.

Offside is measured at the feet of both attackers and defenders.

• Like 1

The offside bollocks is the one we all seem to be looking to fix.

If the check all goals for offside then naked eye is enough.

If you can't tell and need to draw lines then it's advantage to the attacking team.

Also handball has to be deliberate brushing arms or hands is bollocks too.  

• Like 1

Referee's to wear microphones so that their decisions are clearly explained. 

Respect for the ref to be introduced in a similar way to rugby. No trying to bully them in to favouring your team. 

Blues to start every season living a dream and full of hope that slowly erodes away into crushing disappointment and despair with every passing game, never allowing them to achieve anything, ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the beginning of the season a club can choose to ban up to 3 refs from refereeing their games. If a ref gets above a certain amount of votes from across the league he's relegated or looking for a new job.

Half time Colosseum. 5 of the bravest/most pissed up fans from each set fans go to war in the center circle. Weapons can be anything they find around the pitch. If you win this event more than you lose across the entire season you get a certain amount of bonus points.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure if these fall under the rules part but I'd add a salary cap with a very slight adjustment for revenue/income. Completely abolish international football, the standard is shocking and 90% of games are a Champions League team vs a League One team. 

As for two actual gameplay rules.

Once you make 4 fouls it's an automatic yellow card.

Similar to what people said earlier. Tactical fouls, e.g shirt pulls, bringing someone down on a counter when you can't get the ball and are just stopping an attack, not only is that a yellow card but the fouled team get ball in hand and can take a freekick from any location they want outside the area.

Edited by AndyM3000

Â